Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
peskypup

Crane Pond Fire

For those not aware, there is currently a fire burning near Crane Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. According to someone on the Schroon Lake Facebook group, it had grown to 8 acres as of last night and additional Rangers had been called in to fight it.

First photo was taken from Alder Meadow Rd on Saturday afternoon. Second was taken from a sightseeing flight over the High Peaks Sunday afternoon (a gift to my hubby for his 50th birthday). A light haze of smoke could also be seen over the southeast Adirondacks from the top of Whiteface Sunday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP3HWyxWIAA44PP.jpg (28.9 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg CP81bM5U8AA3RnJ.jpg (16.6 KB, 333 views)
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

Not good

Any news on the cause/status of the containment?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

I found this in this afternoon's Schenectady Daily Gazette:

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201...e-adirondacks/

100-acre wild fire in Adirondacks
The Associated Press September 28, 2015

SCHROON State forest rangers are battling a growing wild fire in the eastern Adirondack woods that has scorched about 100 acres since an unattended campfire sparked the blaze over the weekend.

The Department of Environmental Conservation says about 14 forest rangers are fighting the fire Monday at Bear Mountain in the Essex County town of Schroon, 80 miles north of Albany.

DEC officials say county 911 dispatchers received word of a fire around 1:20 p.m. Saturday in the area of Crane Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness.

Sunday afternoon's dropping humidity and winds gusting to 20 mph caused the fire to spread over 80 acres.

A state police helicopter and local firefighters have been helping contain the blaze.

No injuries or damage to structures have been reported.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

I've spent more than a few hours with an Indian Tank on my back.
It's hard work, my kudos to the folks fighting this fire.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
dundee

Unattended campfire? Brilliant, just brilliant. Maybe DEC will finally close the road. DEC, are you listening???
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Loopin for the Lama

Yikes! I bushwhacked off trail in the Hammond Pond Wild Forest to do an overnight Saturday and there is no way I would have considered a fire no matter how careful I was, the forest floor was incredibly dry.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

It's not a matter of closing roads, stupid people trod even the back country.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
camper49

I was part of the group that reported the fire. We were camped right across the pond and we had a fire the night before which was completely safe and controlled. As far as we know, there were no other campers at that end of the pond over night on Friday night. On Saturday morning a few kayakers and canoers made there way around the pond. Others in my group saw one couple land their canoe near the site of the start of the fire in the late morning. A little after 1pm, one of my group saw smoke and thought someone must have hiked into that site and was starting a fire. By 1:15, it was clearly not a campfire and they called 911. Myself and another of our group had been hiking on Pharoah and took this picture at 12:39pm...no fire
IMG_2794

By 2:00, myself and my friend made it onto the pond in our canoe and saw the smoke. A few minutes later, we had arrived at the fire (along with a couple of others from our group) and we were able to put out the fire along the shore line, but the fire was already heading up the slope and was pretty intense. It was almost all contained to the ground and very small brush, but still too hot to fight without pressurized hoses. There was almost no wind.

Firefighters and 1-2 rangers arrived around 4:15. They scouted around but did not have hose equipment that we could see. The rangers left around 6, having given up on fighting the fire that night.

The fire spread slowly during the evening, and some of our group went over to see how bad it was getting. They took this picture zoomed in from the water.

IMG_2686.jpeg

By midnight, the fire was almost at the top of the ridge, and was creeping east, but was not moving west anymore.

In the morning, the fog cleared and this was the status:

IMG_2813.JPG

We were packing up and left about 10am. The rangers were mustering by the canoe launch and bringing in their fire equipment. We gave them all the information I just provided.

They were not critical at all and thanked us for trying to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2794.jpg (157 Bytes, 314 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2686.jpg (157 Bytes, 307 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2813.jpg (157 Bytes, 302 views)
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
camper49

can you guys see the images?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
camper49

oops....i'm talking about the September 2015 fire.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

When I took my annual trip in August I went to Stillwater and camped at site #10. Someone had been camping there the night before I arrived but I don't know what time they left, only that they were gone by 5 PM when I signed the register. The following morning I smelled smoke as I was walking from my tent down to the beach and looked at the fire ring which had some blackened wood in it. There were no visible flames but it was still very hot and took about 10 bottles of water from the lake to completely extinguish. I was surprised I hadn't noticed anything the night before since I had walked close to the fire numerous times, but there was enough of a breeze to blow the smoke smell away, I guess. I can imagine that something similar could have happened in this case, where a fire was left burning and eventually spread, even a day or two later.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
It's not a matter of closing roads, stupid people trod even the back country.
Jim
True, but the Crane Pond Rd. lets more in to a certain area. It also should have been closed about 40 years ago.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Unattended campfire? Brilliant, just brilliant. Maybe DEC will finally close the road. DEC, are you listening???
I would've bet money that you'd be the first person to bring that up.
A few years ago my fahter & I put out a fairly severe duff fire at Crab Pond caused by another careless fool. Not sure if a closed road would've prevented that from happening,but thankfully we were there that day to help it from spreading. In this particular case I'm thankful that the rangers are able to drive the road to assist in putting the fire out, after all, from what I've heard by visiting the area often and talking to others who do the same, the DEC is responsible for filling the mud pit along the road last summer.
Wasn't there also an incident not too long ago where Crane Pond Rd helped in a DEC organized rescue?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It figures. 2 or 3 of my data collection sites for my master's thesis are right smack in the middle of the fire. I'd already collected most of the data there, but guess what data I still needed to collect? Yep- an inventory of dead and downed woody fuels. I think the results may be a little skewed now.

I can certainly select new sites, but to do so would mean re-doing at least a half a day of field work...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Also, the photo attached to this article was definitely not taken in the Adirondacks: http://www.adirondack.net/around-the...e-in-adks.html
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #16
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I would've bet money that you'd be the first person to bring that up.
A few years ago my fahter & I put out a fairly severe duff fire at Crab Pond caused by another careless fool. Not sure if a closed road would've prevented that from happening,but thankfully we were there that day to help it from spreading. In this particular case I'm thankful that the rangers are able to drive the road to assist in putting the fire out, after all, from what I've heard by visiting the area often and talking to others who do the same, the DEC is responsible for filling the mud pit along the road last summer.
Wasn't there also an incident not too long ago where Crane Pond Rd helped in a DEC organized rescue?

My thanks for putting out the fire at Crab. I think I remember seeing that area.

I'm sure the road contributed to the fire. No road= fewer people, fewer fires.

Nice of the DEC to help out, they're our own worst enemy.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
Paradox6

Any current info on how they are doing getting this under control? All I can find is as of yesterday afternoon.

Last edited by Paradox6; 09-29-2015 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It figures. 2 or 3 of my data collection sites for my master's thesis are right smack in the middle of the fire. I'd already collected most of the data there, but guess what data I still needed to collect? Yep- an inventory of dead and downed woody fuels. I think the results may be a little skewed now.

Murphy's Law is alive and well!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Half-day at work today, so I decided to hike into Crane and see what's up...

It appeared to me that the fire began near the rear of the closed campsite
located at the base of Bear Mountain, just to the right of the steep boulder
slide spilling into the water, if you're familiar with the pond. I am by no means
an expert in investigating wild fires, but since there is no longer an established
fire-ring at that site, it was difficult for me to tell that it was indeed an
"unattended campfire" as reported.

From what little I saw from shore near the site, the duff along almost the entire
hillside had been scorched, with several trees felled. There were a few lingering
warm & smoky spots in the surrounding duff, and in the trunks of a couple fallen
trees. I did what I could for a few minutes with my canteen and my dog's food
container, but I didn't want to stick around for too long.

I only saw one vehicle in the parking area, and I was a little surprised not to see
any of the Rangers or firefighters involved with this issue. Perhaps their efforts
have moved further up on Bear Mountain, and they are/were accessing the area via
Pyramid Lake...not sure.

Thankfully, after praying to the 'Crane Pond Weather Gods' to please rain &
downpour on me like so many countless times in the past while I was camped
out at any one of the surrounding campsites over the years, my prayers were
answered as it started to rain pretty heavily just as I was leaving.

Still, my heart hurts to see something like this happen. I've been going to Crane
since I was a little kid, and it has always been, and always will be a special place
to me.

Here are a few photos of the damage at the base of Bear Mountain near the shore
of Crane Pond...

...and prayers answered, we hope:

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #20
Harvey44

That fire has got to be out now. Right?