Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
hookman33

Weller Pond Leanto

I'm thinking of spending a few late September days on Weller Pond. I'm familiar with the Martha Reben leanto on Middle Saranac but not the leanto on Weller. Does anyone have a description of what that site is like?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've not visited this lean-to, but just as an FYI in case you aren't already aware- This lean-to is part of the Saranac Lake Islands Campground, meaning that it is fee use and reservable (through Reserve America) when the campground is in operation. According to the DEC website, the campground is open through October 10 this year. After that point, I believe the campsites in this campground revert to backcountry regulations (free, first-come first-serve, 3 night stay without a permit, maximum occupancy of 9, etc.) but I would double check with the DEC on this before camping there.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
hookman33

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the Saranac Islands Campsite requires reservations through early October. I tried to reserve the Reben Leanto but it is booked. I thought of the Weller Lean-to as an alternative but suspect it is back in the woods at the start of the carry. I've been on Weller Pond many times and don't recall seeing a lean-to with shoreline access. If I can't get any information on it, I may just book an island site.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Festus

The Weller Pond leanto is near the water. It is an ok site - not as nice (in my opinion) as the other leantos on Middle as far as an open lake view, breeze etc....The leanto is at the end of Weller where it is shallow and wooded, about 50 feet from the water. You can hike to Upper Saranac from there but it would be a fairly long carry and as a hike you don't get to a very nice spot on Upper (for views or swimming etc.). I like paddling Weller but camping on Middle itself - site 80 is very nice with a sandy beach and nice tall pines etc.
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #5
hookman33

Festus:
Thank you. Your description was just what I was looking for. On your advice I just booked site 80. I'll let you know how we like it.