Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got a chance to spend time with this thread yesterday, re-reading entries from people I'd met or "knew" from their posts and getting to "meet" newer members. I sent some PM's to the moderators (it only let me send 5 at once so I missed sacco mt goat and lumberzac) expressing how great the spirit is on the forum, and thanking them for their work in putting it together.

It's amazing to read how many of us have had life-changing experiences in the outdoors, and how many of us rely on our memories of these experiences to sustain us in our everyday lives.

A while back I heard a cultural anthropologist on the radio theorising that our brains are hard-wired from our hunter-gatherer pasts to only recognise the existence 100-150 people in our immediate "group" and about 1000-1500 in the extended group. Civilization (going back to the first cities 5K years ago) challenges this reality and is the source of tremendous stress in human beings. Large-city dwellers avoid eye contact with people on the street being unable to acknowledge so many "others" and form various "tribal" groups, i.e. extended family, church groups, co-workers, etc. to try to replicate the ancient sense of belonging.

Kevin made the point that the "vibe," if you will, of the adkforum is a product of the collective spirits and characters of the members. If that anthropologist is correct, then I can't think of a better "tribal" nation to belong to than that which we share here.

Comment

• Originally posted by doug
      It's amazing to read how many of us have had life-changing experiences in the outdoors, and how many of us rely on our memories of these experiences to sustain us in our everyday lives.
      That's because, climbing makes us stronger, mentallyand physically,
      "weaving" it into our everyday lives. Therefore making us a much "richer person."
      "It is easier to become a Forty-Sixer than to be one. The art of the being is to keep one's sense of wonder after the excitement of the game is over."

Paul Jamieson Class of '58

Comment

• Yikes, Doug! I thought all of this was just about a walk in the woods.

Comment

• Originally posted by doug
          Large-city dwellers avoid eye contact with people on the street being unable to acknowledge ... various "tribal" groups.
          Personally, I enjoy making "eye contact" with the other "tribal" groups. As a matter of fact, just the other day, as I was walking to work, I was so focused on my "eye contact" with a member of another "tribal" group that I walked into a busy intersection when the crosswalk light was not in my favor. Almost disastrous, but the "eye contact" was great!

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie
            I walked into a busy intersection when the crosswalk light was not in my favor. Almost disastrous, but the "eye contact" was great!
            Good one. I had a similar experience in England, almost got hit by a double-decker bus. They come from the opposite direciton over there!

Comment

• I've loved the woods since I could walk in them, and moved to the SE Adks to raise my own children in a similar environment (my childhood woods have fallen on suburban times).
              I made a huge career move a dozen years ago and became a guide; leading whitewater rafting, rock climbing, caving, canoeing, and fishing trips in the south and central Adirondacks. The hugest part of that change was of course, to my income! But it has been a good ride for the most part.
              I don't get out as much as I would like to (and believe it or not, less now than before I became a guide!), but still get out more than most.
              I am still (always!) looking for that next great backcountry crag, so if you have a lead, let me know!

Comment

• hi

My name is Ed (barkeater) I'm a nature photographer and live full time in North River. I hunt,fish,camp but mostly take photos. I own and operate South Mountain Photos, started in 2002 when I took a fall of a scaffold and got beat up pretty good. I'm married with 5 grown kids and 4 (soon to be 5) grandkids. I'm mid fifties most days others mid seventies. I'll post some pics asap.

Tetkahere Sotahr

Comment

• In a nutshell

I'm a Texan living in New York City. I work as a comedy writer and a voiceover actor for radio and TV commercials.

And in between, I like to fish as much as possible.

Lately I've been hitting a lot of small streams an hour or two away from the city. I've been camping a handful of times in the Adirondacks, and now that I've finally purchased a new backpack (instead of renting one), I'm ready to go as many times as I can this year.

I go for the solitude, and only in hiking and fishing does my A.D.D. mind ever seem to calm down.

Comment

• I'm a 42 yr young geological engineer who is employed by an environmental consulting firm where I remediate hazardous waste sites and other polluted properties. Like Mike, I was laid off a number of years back but have since been gamefully employed and conducting these types of investigations for close to 20 years. In addition to this, I'm a ski instructor at a local area, assistant soccer coach, and a webelos leader for my younger son's cubscout den. Needless to say, this keeps me quite busy, although I still find time to run on a daily basis.

I have been hiking and camping since I was old enough to walk and backpacking for the last 30 years. I have hiked in almost every state except Hawaii. My backpacking travels have included such destinations as Colorado(where I lived for ~6 yrs), California, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. My first trip to the ADK was a snowy thanksgiving weekend at Avalanche Lake in 1996. My next trip was in June 1999 when I rambled through the blowdown between Dix and Elk Lake before the trail had been cleared. I've returned every year since 1-3 times each summer, lured by the wildness of the high peaks.

I have 2 sons, ages 10 and 12, who have been backpacking since the age of 4. They have backpacked in the ADK the past 3 years climbing peaks including Hurricane Mt, Big Slide, Yard Mt, and Dix. Each year I take each boy individually and then on a trip together. The individual trips let us tailor an adventure to their particular interest and ability. This year my older son wants to try the lower range including Gothics, Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw. I'm still thinking of what would challenge the younger one. If you have suggestions let me know!

Comment

• So Glad I've found you all!!!

Hi, I'm 41 and I've lived within 30 miles or closer to the Adirondack park all my life. At present it's right out my back door. The Otter Creek Horse trail system is right down the rode from me, to give you somewhat of a location.

I've got three children, the youngest being 17. My husband and I used to take them on simple hiking trips when they were around the 10-12 yrs age. Mostly this would consit of fairly level ground hikes. The one favortie of theirs, was Whetsone Gulf gorge. Five miles around a breath taking gulf.

Now that they are older, the hiking bug has kicked in big time for my husband and I. Just yesterday we went to Blue Mt trail and hiked to the Summit. Our little min pin joined us, lol. Actually he faired way better then I. It was our first hike that actually involved extensive climbing. But after real slow going, (alot of people passed us) we made it.

I've been reseraching ever since I got home, and can't wait for the next hike.
                      Even more exctied to have found this forum, so I can learn and share experiences with everyone else.

Comment

• HI! I'm Trish, 37, and a paddler (paddle-bagger???) Canoe camping, almost every year for about *yikes* 30 yrs now - preferably on motorless lakes.
                        Grew up in small town between Saratoga and Albany, and now reside in Greenwich NY. Come from a family with 5 kids, so parents introduced us early on (cheap vacation)to "wilderness camping" (I prefer the solitude of primitive sites to campgrounds anyday). Went to college near Spfld MA, and lived in New England for 12-ish years, but UpstateNY always felt like home to me,so here I am again. (Conveniently skipping over a dozen years or so and all the whos, woes, whens, whats, whys and wherefores)
                        Suffice it to say I've FINALLY met the right soul and we were recently married (July 17th ). I have a daughter (age 6) who I've been taking camping since she could walk and she's a darn fine little paddler now and a pretty good fisherman, too.... and now 2 stepdaughters (twins - age 9) that I'm trying to teach to paddle (5 people plus gear in one canoe won't cut it, so we take 2 canoes now, my daughter in the bow of my canoe and his twins take turns in the bow of his)

Favorite places to paddle/camp: Cedar River Flow (my avatar), although not NEARLY as nice as is used to be *sniff*, over the years becoming a victim of overuse and carelessness. I love it because its such a part of my past, my present, and now MY family's past and present as well...Its one of the first places my folks ever took us, and I know the place like the back of my hand. First place I took my daughter, too.
                        Lake Lila (my NEXT avatar) *sigh*, where I plan to have my ashes scattered one day (so much for leaving no trace! )

There is something majestic and almost spiritual in the ancient mountains, lakes and forests of the Adirondacks. I love the sense of renewal I feel just being there - no matter how tough the going or what the weather is: the air, the views, the serenity, the smells, the sounds... *ahhh*

Glad I found this place - think I'll stick around for a while.
                        Last edited by CloudNine; 08-04-2005, 09:18 AM.
                        [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

• Lila

Hi Trish!
                          Glad your on board.
                          I see you like Lake Lila too.
                          Here's a shot from last year to hold you over...
                          The Wilderness Photography of Gary F. Dean
                          facebook photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Comment

• Nice! Thanks for that!!!!

If I know the road is clear, I might head up Sept or Oct for a coupla days.... Just one more to share (in this thread - until I find my way around better) - from a slightly different point of view (Helms Aero out of Long Lake - took a flight with my daughter last September)
                            [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

• I'm a Paramedic/Rescue Tech in PA. When not working, I enjoy hiking, kayaking, and rock or ice climbing. I'm 47 and divorced. I started in the woods when i was old enough to walk and have been there ever since. A day does not go by that i'm not thinking of the next trip of one of the last ones.

Comment

• hi everyone

I'm 45 and have been hiking in the adirondacks since I was 15, Fell in love with the outdoors and did a few summers in Yellowstone on a trail crew. I've climbed 33 high peaks and most of the big mountains in new england. The past 7 years I've concentrated on running and mostly trail running. I live in western mass area and run with my son when I can keep up with him. I'm married with 3 kids and coach baseball and am starting a running club for kids soon.

happy trails, Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X