Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, my name is Jim, and I'm addicted to wilderness... I'm not a big hiker but I LOVE to fish in really remote places. I've been spending as much free time as possible in the Adirondacks since 1972. (I'm old) I've taken my little Hornbeck boat on more ponds than I can remember, but I just can't get enough!

Puffer Pond was the first place I caught a brook trout, and they are now my favorite fish. I also enjoy photography, cooking, eating, music, and generally loafing around, not neccesarily in that order.

I grew up in NJ, lived in NY (Orange Co) for about 10 years, and now reside in PA.

I'm an engineer by training, specializing in product development. I'm on my second career now as a Network Engineer for a large financial institution.

I've read through a lot of the threads on this site, and have already learned a whole lot...
    Last edited by Moses Atwood; 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• bunch of names

Lets see....my name, right? Well I was given the name Corey by my parents and tend to use that around most people. Got the name Porsy atPaul Smiths College, and have lately been called adventureboy by friends. Any of them are good with me. Right, about myself!!!

My first trip into the woods and up a mountain happened when I ws 2 yrs old and in a kid carrier. 26 years later I am still called to the great outdoors. In fact I have never had a job that did not involve being outside or working in the recreation field. I am almost done with my 46, have climbed in the Whites, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, and Washinton. I am an Eagle Scout and proud of it. I have a degree in Forest Recreation and a BA in Adventure Recreation. OK, laugh. What kind of degree is that? Actually I am able to use it in many educational and beneficial ways. I currently work as a full time program director for a camp in Rochester NY and run various summer camp programs that revolve around wilderness themes, outdoor living skills, and team work. From fall to spring I run ropes course programs for local scout troops and school teams, I train new archery instructors on the NAA level, and have started geocahing.

Any night spent out of the house is a good night, and I have had more than I can remember. I like to take b/c trips on snowshoes and am saving to buy Alpine Touring gear. I rock climb, cave, mtn bike, ski (all types), scuba dive, tree climb (80 ft and more), build ropes courses, play rugby, and have the occasional beer after a long hike or expedition........

.......I could go on, but that is it in a nutshell. "Hey, look at me. I'm in a nutshell"
      The ability to endure agony and pain makes the moment of triumph only sweeter....

Comment

• Hi-
        This is my first time posting on this forum, or any other forum actually. Hopefully I'm doing it right. I've been reading this site for about a year, but just recently became a member. I feel like I know most of you.
        I live in Emmaus, PA and work at a golf course. I get laid off over the winter so have lots of time to spend on the computer, mostly reading the various posts on this site. I know, I know you think with all that time I should be out in the mountains. Well, I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old that I have the privilege to watch while my wife works.
        My first trip to the ADK's was in the late 90's to visit friends who had just moved to Olmstedville. It was January, we left home in the snow, and it snowed til we got too our destination continually getting worse. What was supposed to be a 5 hour trip turned into a 9 hour trip. It wasn't just the weather, instead of taking the Northway, which we were supposed to do, we continued on 87. Woops. Anyway, I was instantly hooked on the ADK's and have been coming back ever since.
        My first High Peaks experience was when our friends took us to Lake Placid just to do touristy stuff. Well, it was Ironman weekend, what a mistake that was! Needless to say we didn't see much except for the amazing scenery, and I knew I had to get back there. I ended up camping with a couple of guys I work with at the Loj a couple months after that. We saw the highest point in NY was nearby so we went for it. Well, we left our site in fog, went through Marcy Dam in fog, and arrived at the summit in fog. It was an awesome experience, and I knew I needed to do more.
        I returned the following September with my wife and daughter, who was 18 months old at that time. We stayed in the cabin at the Loj. I convinced my wife, who had no hiking experience, at least not mountain climbing experience, that we were going to hike Algonquin. I carried my daughter in a Kelty carrier, and my wife, the trooper that she is made it up Algonquin. What an experience for us! No wind, clear blue skies, absolutely amazing. We passed people on the way up who would ask where we were headed and most didn't think we'd make it. We actually had people taking our picture at the top with there own cameras. Then when we were in Loj later people were asking us if we were the family that made it up Algonquin. That was in 2001.
        Unfortunately, due to a growing family, that was my last peak. We've been camping at the Loj every summer and do shorter hikes. I'm patiently waiting for my kids to grow up so they can hopefully join me on more peaks. It's especially encouraging to read about those of you whose kids are so interested in hiking!
        This is probably the longest post in history of the forum. Hope I didn't bore all of you. As you can see I love talking about the ADK's so I guess I'm in the right place.
        *************ENDLESS WINTER**************

Comment

• welcome dreamer.

yup, there are a few other members here with kids as young as yours who manage to hike with them.

don't ask me how though, my dogs are enough work.

anyway, welcome!
          Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
          www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

• This'll be a brief intro, but I'm a soon-to-be college grad from western PA whose gone to the Adirondacks his whole life. Most of my time has been in the Lake George region but I have done a high peaks hike to Mount Marcy.

In my region my outdoor activities mainly consist of local hiking, plenty of canoeing, and varieties of shooting sports.

Hope to share some good stories and learn a lot here!

Comment

• OK, after reading all of the posts I'll give in....

My name is Vince, 45yrs old,and I've been hiking, hunting, fishing, snowshoeing, climbing, slipping and sliding throughout the ADK's since I was 8. Married, two "kids", daughter who's 26 (science teacher), and my newest hiking partner, 13 year old son, "Littlewolf". I've always loved the ADK's, and could never get enough, and still can't...I work for the NYSDEC here in the northcountry, and I'm lucky enough to work in the ADK's four seasons. From sampling the depths of Lake Champlain in the summer to performing snow surveys for DEC and NOAA in the winter, I'm always somewhere having fun and actually getting paid to do so.... (Hell, sometimes I feel that I should pay my employer for the things I do)

I love bushwhacking, and spend an awful amount of time in the West Cananda Lakes region hunting , fishing and snowshoeing. The farther off the trail the better! Back country, non-acid stressed streams and ponds are my favorite destinations....for Wild Brookies of course! (Those stream bioassesments DO come in handy!)

I've completed MOST of the High Peaks, summer and winter, and climbed a zillion "lesser peaks", one my most favorite activities when not fishing or hunting. I'm in no rush to finish, they'll still be there, just a little higher in elevation each year....HEY, that makes the summits all different...now I gotta do them all over!!!

As far as hunting goes, it's just another excuse to get in the woods, far far away from anyone and explore more than hunt. Basically I just take my rifle for a hike.... As a matter of fact, I let a deer "go" last year due to the fact that I was 7 miles from camp, at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Friday..
              (yes, I use a headlamp)

This is a great forum, thanks to those who administer the site...keep up the good work!

Happy trails, and if there isn't one.....well , you know.
              "If You Ain't the Lead Dog,
              The Scenery Never Changes"

(Age Old Yukon Saying)

Comment

• hello all,
                my name is Chris. Born and raised in Buffalo, NY. Im 21 yrs old and attend Buffalo State College, majoring in the Fine Arts. The wilderness has always held a special place in my heart for as long as I can remember. Ive been camping and in allegheny since before I could walk with my parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Ive been fishing since I was a knee high little kid and have always enjoyed it. The extended family and I go alittle south of Algonquin twice a summer for our fishing trips in our "secret" lakes. We also try and get up to algonquin at least once a summer for some day hikes and whatnot. I just found and joined the wilderness adventure club at Buff State and we are getting ready to go backpacking at the end of the month. This will be my first backpacking experience, and I cant wait

this is a fantastic forum, great job
                A man runs 3-4 miles per day, bragging about the extra 10 years of life it creates, unaware that he is spending them running.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

I'm Judy, age 48, a teacher who lives in Central New York with my 16 year old son. I love to get outdoors and look for any excuse to go to the Adirondacks. We hike extensively in the West Central region because it is an easy day trip. I don't mind hiking the same trails over and over agin because each time I appreciate something different. Every year the day after Easter you will find us on Black Bear Mtn playing poker for leftover Easter candy. I always save my winnings in my boot and then have to give most of it to my son. A few years back we decided to go up to the High Peaks and of course we were hooked. We have enjoyed I think 25, or 26 of the 46. I don't go up in bad weather because I don't want to just peak bag, I'm going to really enjoy the mountains and in heavy rain there isn't much to see. Our goal is to have them completed before my son goes to college. We have to pick up the pace a bit as we were slowed down a couple of years ago when I had surgery on both knees. I now pamper them a bit more.

We cross country ski both locally and in the Inlet/Old Forge area. Snowshoe where skiing isn't possible. We took up geocaching a couple of years ago. I enjoy watching birds which drives my son nuts on the trail. Got myself a kevlar canoe the year of the knee surgeries as a mode to get into the woods.

Every year for two weeks we camp in Acadia National Park and bike many miles, read at the shore, enjoy the sweet smell of the ocean and carve songbirds.

The first time I hiked Blue Mountain was when I had just turned three and my parents had me hike every step. I used to build chipmunk traps when we were camping.

I have no idea yet how to put a picture by my name, but will work on this.
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                  It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

• PB, you have a private message. Welcome to the forums .

http://www.adkforum.com/private.php? (upper right corner)

Other useful stuff:

Last edited by Kevin; 03-13-2005, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Hi all,

I’ve mostly been lurking the forum for the past couple of months getting all the advice I can. I’ve made a few short posts. I’m recently back at the hiking / backpacking thing after about twenty years away from it. I guess lost touch with it all when I moved to Chicago in ’83 and began the family thing. I got to know the ADKs in the late ‘80s during trips to Schroon Lake with my first wife. The closest I ever got to the high peaks was a drive from Schroon to Lake Placid. One marriage down, moved on to second one. That one took us from Chicago to Westchester County for work and we settled in here in 2000. One daughter – she is seven now – and a few passing years. Unfortunately, shortly after moving here my wife came down with cancer and died two years ago. In trying to work my way through this, I have found my way back to backpacking. So here I am with two peaks down on my first 46. I figure I will have about 15 done in 2005. So far all the planning, reading and preparation has been exactly what I need. I’m getting so good at this now I only need about three days notice to get on a trail – not bad considering I have a four hour drive. I’m going to be there this coming weekend. My daughter is still afraid I’m going to fall off a mountain.

Jack

Comment

• Jack- Wrigleyville,
                        You've been through some very rough stuff. I'm sure the High Peaks will act like a balm on your spirit.
                        Do you plan on taking your daughter with you on some hikes? I've seen 7 year olds on Gothics...
                        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

• Hi Jack,
                          Take your daughter with you.My bet is she would love sleeping at Marcy Dam in a leanto. I've helped others with small children on the high peaks. They are very resilient and love to explore every frog along the way. Let the mountains do their magic on you. My ex was always too busy hunting to go to the Adirondacks. Hunting rabbits, fish, grouse, deer, other two legged beauties.

May I suggest you give her her own camera on hikes, even if only a disposable. Watch and see how eager she is to see the photos. Also we have mounted on foamboard a topo of the High Peaks region. We add another pin each time we hike another mountain. Hard to tell how many are there right now because the new kitty pulls them all out.
                          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
                          It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut Butter
                            Take your daughter with you.My bet is she would love sleeping at Marcy Dam in a leanto. I've helped others with small children on the high peaks. They are very resilient and love to explore every frog along the way.
                            Really????????? I was under the impression that kids SUCKED at hiking.

Sorry, I'm still bitter cuz my 11 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son have lower 46er numbers assigned to them than I do.

"I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger. " Supreme Chancellor

Comment

• Thank you all for the kind words.

I have plans to do some hiking and camping with Nicole here in Westchester this summer and then decide if Marcy Dam is right for her. Well...I know it's right...she would have a ball...especially those black capped chickadees that practically land on your shoulder. I think she would love the two mile walk to the dam with a Rugrats backpack. Funny, I think the four hour drive is the larger challenge.

Comment

• Sorry, I'm still bitter cuz my 11 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son have lower 46er numbers assigned to them than I do.
                                Oh that reminds me Mavs. Your son has been emailing me about going on some ADK100 trips this summer. Something about finishing that list before his dad does?
                                Die Free and Live

Comment

Working...
                                X