Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Mavs00]Sorry, I'm still bitter cuz my 11 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son have lower 46er numbers assigned to them than I do.
    QUOTE]

Higher IQ's to if I'm not mistaken.

Cheer up though, Your age is a higher number Tim.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• About Poconoron

Well, here goes...... I'm a 57 year old COMPULSIVE hiker. Recently retired, I'm living in the Pocono Mountains region of Pennsylvania for the past 21 years. We've got nearly 250,000 acres or so of public land here in the form of State Forests, State Game Lands and the Delaware River National Recreation area- lots of nice hiking terrain. Interestingly, I see very FEW hikers out on these lands, maybe because there are few grand views to be had. Hunting seasons are a different story, since Pennsylvania has a HUGE hunting tradition and culture. More times than not, I seem to have the whole place to myself- which is great since I love the solitude. And we've got plenty of wildlife- coyotes, black bear, deer, otters, beaver, etc. In fact, I'm sure that on a 'per square mile' basis, there's more wildlife here than in the Adirondacks, due to climate.

Now on to my true love- the Adirondacks! I've been going up to the 'dacks evirtually every year for the past 35 years- and it's my one true love. I initially hit the High Peaks area alot- Dix, Algonquin, Wright, Santanoni and Haystack. Also traveled through Indian Pass (magnificent) and out to Duck Hole. Then I figured out that I didn't necessarily need the views and crowds and I've explored other areas including West Canada Lakes, Oswegatchie, Moose River Plains, Pharoah Lake and others. It's ALL beautiful country in it's own way.

Recently bought 102 acres abutting state land in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest area (southern Adirondacks) which I've been exploring alot (Dexter Lake, Waters Millpond, Clockmill area, etc.) And guess what- It's ALL beautiful country.

I have 4 great sons- 3 of them enjoy the backcountry and get out whenever they can.

Can't wait to get out again this spring!
      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

• Welcome to the forum, poconoron! I agree that there is more to the Adirondacks than the high peaks, and have hiked and canoed in many of the areas you mention. With your experience, we may tap you for some more ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by poconoron
          Recently bought 102 acres abutting state land in the Ferris Lake Wild Forest area (southern Adirondacks) which I've been exploring alot (Dexter Lake, Waters Millpond, Clockmill area, etc.) And guess what- It's ALL beautiful country.
          So you are in proximity to the Powley-piseco Road?

There are lots of great places there, as well as along route 10 and the West Branch. You'll have to get in touch when you come up this way, we're practically neighbors.

You're not too far from where Wildernessphotos land is either (Caroga).

Hawk
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

• Thanks for the welcomes.......

Thanks, Dick and Hawk. This looks like a great little forum you've got here- think I'll stay around awhile.

Hawk- yep, we are pretty close neighbors. Maybe we'll touch base sometime.........thanks.
            Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

• Poconoron, you've bought land in a beautiful area. Each spring we do a quick cruise of the 12 mile round trip from Piseco to White House on the NP to warm our legs up. It's beautiful rolling country and the birds are always very active in there. My son has the greatest time on the swinging bridges trying to get them going so I can barely stand. It's an area I need to explore more.
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
              It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Intro

After hiking in NY and PA for last 40 years I stumbled on this and another forum earlier this winter. Since that time i have met several other folks who post here on the Finger Lakes Trail and recently when hiking the High Peaks. It is interesting to read who they are. I am located in tiny Tully NY where I am an administrator at a local non profit and also an addictions counselor in private practice. Three sons, one wife and one dog. Hike the Finger Lakes trail almost every Sunday morning year round. Love the West Canada Wilderness and hike there often. Completed the NLP in 99 and almost through winter list on high peaks. Style is to start slow and taper. A joy to be here.

Comment

• I used to be geologist. And I still miss it. That's why I go out whenever I can.
                  There are perfect maps and books around, but, anyway, people always know more - that's why I came here.
                  The forum looks like a part of Adirondacks - that's why I registered.

I'm 52. Now II work as EMT in 911 of NYC. I wish I'll bring you something ,as you already did for me.

Comment

• Never really introduced myself even though i've been active on the forum for the last few weeks. I stumbled upon it one day and thought it was so cool that i just had to join.

I'm a college student currently attending HVCC in troy, i received an associates degree in env. studies last semester and will be attending Paul Smith's next semester for Ecology & Field Biology. My legal residence is in the Albany area but i live with my aunt in Essex during the summer or whenever i need a place to crash before or after a hike. I worked in the fire tower on top of Poke-O-Moonshine last year and will be back there again this year. I've been camping/hiking since I was about 5 years old but been doing it on a more regular basis the last 3 years. Other than my few friends who are also into hiking most of them look at me like i'm a nut case when i go hiking in midwinter or spend more than two days out in the woods in the summer; this place seems to be full of people that my friends would classify as nuts which is why i joined.

I would just like to thank everyone for being friendly, helpful, and informative; maybe i'll run into some of you this summer if any decides to hike li'l ol poke-o.

Wiltz
                    "all conservation is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and fondle, and when enough have seen and fondled, there is no wilderness left to cherish." -Aldo Leopold

Comment

• Enjoying the outdoors

Have been "hiking" around a bit to get acquainted with this nice forum before I enlisted myself. Pretty good advice here !

Am in my spring 30's ;-) and doing the best to balance my life between my passion in IT and in outdoors. Have been around the world for rock climbing, mountainbiking and mountaineering but always return home for Belgian beer. :headbang:
                      If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it would have changed the history of music... and of aviation

Comment

• Hi,

Since I have decided to open my mouth on the forum, I guess I should introduce myself.

My name is John Nabinger (hence johnnab, go figure) and I am an attorney living in Syracuse, NY. My office is in Geneva, NY and virtually all of my business is out in the Finger Lakes region. I am 38 years old.

I never really got out into the woods much as a kid, my family just wasn’t into that sort of thing. After high school though I moved to Monterey, CA with a good friend of mine and became an outdoor nut. We used to go out almost every weekend. Big Sur and a ton of other lesser know places were our regular haunts but the highlight of our trips had to be summiting Half Dome in Yosemite. Talk about going light, we used to just grab a couple of blankets, a bag of food and take off. I spent many nights rolled in a blanket next to a camp fire in the central CA area. Nice. However, life intruded on my carefree ways. After a year and a half I moved back to New York, went to college, then law school, got a job and became a grownup. Damn!

I still went camping occasionally, only car camping, and never, and I don’t know why, in the Adirondacks. That is until a couple of years ago when a friend and I wanted something more remote and found the Taylor Pond campground on the DEC website. We booked a weekend and it was great, especially after 22 of the 25 sites packed up and left on Sunday afternoon and we had the place virtually to ourselves. Still, I was not quite satisfied. I didn’t really think about it at the time, but I wanted to try to recapture some of the feeling of my trips in CA. We decided to go back to Taylor Pond and get one of the interior sites. It took us two years but last August we spent four nights in the lean-to at the far end of Taylor Pond, just about in the shadow of Catamount. Awesome. My only regret was that I did not get a chance to hike to the top of Catamount which was something I really wanted to do after seeing it and talking to the ranger on our first trip.

That disappointment however led me to where I am today. I came home and did a lot of internet hopping looking for information on Catamount. What I found was the Adirondacks and I kicked myself that I could be so ignorant of this place which is darn near my back yard. I decided that was going to change. For the past few months I have been trying to prepare myself to explore this place. I have been gathering information and building up equipment as well as trying to physically prepare myself, though that seems like a lost cause sometimes. This forum and all the great people with their vast knowledge and the numerous links have been a tremendous help in those endeavors. I think I am almost ready. Not sure what or when, but it will be soon as I am aching to get out.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

John
                        Determine that the thing can and shall be done,
                        and then . . . find the way.
                        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• another laywer. great. just what we need.

Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
                          www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

• Originally posted by sacco
                            another laywer. great. just what we need.

My thoughts, exactly!

Comment

• Originally posted by sacco
                              another laywer. great. just what we need.

Isn't there a non invasive type of lawyercide thats legal in the dacks??

Comment

• Careful . . . I'll sue!
                                Determine that the thing can and shall be done,
                                and then . . . find the way.
                                Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X