Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
Upstate Matt

Moose River Plains Fishing

I plan to head to the Moose River Plains for some car camping quite soon and would like some basic fishing guidance. Of course, I wouldn't dream of asking any strangers to disclose personal information. What I need is a start. Laugh or scoff if you like, but I am not an angler, compleat or otherwise. The odd part is that I have always wanted to be one. I even subscribed to The In Fisherman in the 80's.

There is quite a bit to this story that is just as absurd but bottom line is I have a chance to spend some time with my 14 year old son and I'd like to give this a go. He is a great kid, not typical at all, he is "on the spectrum" and we never now what is going take with him. I'd like to set him up for success as much as possible, but clearly, I need help.
Upstate Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Lucky13

A lot depends on what you have for equipment and what you like to do. Pond/lake fishing is generally more productive than stream fishing, but July-August is the slowest time of year, and is not really productive without a canoe or other boat(s). Many of the streams were stocked back in the spring, what remains depends on how hard they have been fished since. Also, many of the streams meander through tag alder meadows, which are difficult to negotiate at best, and impossible and potentially dangerous at worst. There are no or very faint paths along stony streams like Otter Brook, so walking them is either an in-water (slick) or bushwhack proposition. If you decide you want to shore fish ponds, Lost Ponds , the upper or second pond (you may not see the first one unless you know where to look, but consult a map) has places where you could fish from shore albeit with a lot of woody debris around, or if you bushwhack to the north side and work down along the rocky shore, you could access deep water with a slip bobber rig. The lower (second) pond of Mitchell Ponds can be shore fished from the right hand side in relation to when you come in, there are brown trout, maybe some lakers and kokanee in there too. Streams can be fished with worms, small spinners, or flies like muddlers. Don't overlook the road holes.

If you have a boat, lake clear worm rigs, maybe with a keel sinker to get down to the ~20 foot depth, will work in all the waters listed by NYSDEC as having fish.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Upstate Matt

Thank You 13.

We have a little 12 aluminum canoe that I figured we might need. I think I mainly posted to get some encouragement, and you supplied that!

Thanks!
Upstate Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Stillhunter

Hi Upstate Matt...
As Lucky13 indicates this time of year is challenging to fish in the Moose River Plains for trout. There are not that many options for warm water species fishing in the Moose River plains.
One thing to consider if it would be more enjoyable to have some fun catching any warm water fish (bass, perch, sun fish, bullhead, etc.) would be to go to a state park campground where you can put in your canoe and pretty quickly catch fish on a worm and bobber. If I were taking a young person for an intro fishing trip in the Adirondacks I would try to minimize the canoe carrying time vs. fishing time and try to increase the odds of catching fish by targeting warm water fish.
Some good campgrounds to camp, canoe and catch some fish would be... Forked Lake, Golden Beach on Raquette Lake, Brown Tract Ponds or Nicks Lake. All of these are close to the Moose River Plains if you wanted to camp there (at no charge) and just put in your canoe at a pretty much drive up launch and catch some fish.

Young fisherman's spirits can be lowered by carrying a canoe a mile or two one way and not getting any fish for the effort. Many times with deer flies buzzing your head in the plains.

Just a thought.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Lucky13

Stillhunter is correct, and I forgot to add that a cart is almost a necessity for pond fishing where you can use one, trails like the one to Squaw or Bear will not accept a cart.

Eighth Lake can be accessed off Route 28 and fishes well for both smallmouths, panfish, and the occasional Rainbow in the summer.

A day trip to Old Forge might allow the 14 year old to have some fun at the water park and keep him more involved back at camp, too.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #6
madison

Cedar River Flow on the east side of the Moose River Plains is a good option for trout fishing- trolling a Lake Clear Wobbler set up from your canoe might prove fruitful for brookies or brown trout. However, in high summer when the water is warm it can be difficult to get trout to bite. A good spot to try for a first time for a kid would be South Inlet of Raquette Lake. It's close to MRPRA and the access is easy, right off Rt 28. You'd have a good chance at catching bass and panfish, both of which can be fun for kids. (and adults!) Try fishing in the lake right at the mouth of South Inlet. Good luck and have fun.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Buckladd

Bass fishing is surely the better option right now. If you're dead-set on camping in the Plains, then bring the boat and hit the Flow, Wakely, or both. It will be a great experience regardless of the fish. If you're really new to fishing just use worms and a bobber, adjusting for various depths and keeping it simple.

If you decide to go to a spot(s) mentioned above to camp and/or fish for bass, then Google wacky rigged worms, which is also a very simple fishing method. Have fun!