Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite car camping location in the dacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never been to Rollins Pond but that was my impression as well. There is a web site of very devoted Fish Creek / Rollins Pond campers:

My family and I will be camping at Putnam Pond this weekend. I have reserved 2 days and will wait and see how the weather for the early part of the week turns out. I was thinking of trying out Rollins Pond but it does seem to be a little too close the the beaten path.

Comment

Lanceman, enjoy Putnam Pond...it's one of our favorites. We usually hear Barred Owls there.

Comment

OK friends. I have just been informed that next weekend (Friday/Saturday night) my lady and I will be bringing my sister in law and 3 year old nephew and my wife's best friend and her 4 year old "up north" as we call it south o' the blue line.
        I'm trying to figure out what would be the best campground to stay at where we could experience the usual list of campground desirables. We would like to take the kids to the wild center in Tupper Lake on Saturday (Actually, they are a little young yet to really appreciate it... I want to go to the wild center!). I'm thinking that Rollins is the closest, but that whole fish creek scene just sounds like bad news.
        So, any suggestions? Cranberry? Eaton? Harris seems a little far to get to Tupper but sounds the most remote and least likely to have generators and dogs. Also, Harris seems like it has the best hiking for me to sneak off on my own for a bit (I imagine pretty much anywhere will have adequate day hikes for the kids little legs.)

Comment

Beeblesticks,
          I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Rollins for what it sounds like you are planning to do. While the "Fish Creek scene" is kind of a pain, Rollins is worth it and the you only experience the pain for a short time driving in and out. My wife and I will be at Rollins next week with some friends and will use it as a base for exploring nearby areas with our canoes.
          "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
          My pictures:
          https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Moose River Recreation Area for me. Downside is lack of easily accessible water. Upside is peace and quiet (on non-holiday weekends), with wild critters to serenade you at night. For me the closest I get to backpacking any more.

Comment

I agree with lake eaton and rollins pond. Great places for all the reasons mentioned. I dont think ny one has mentioned Moreau Lake State Park. Its pretty decent if you have the itch to camp and you dont want to drive to far. I have always heard owls at night. The lake is aboslutely great for rainbow trout and I have seen loons over the past few years. Although you normally dont hear them.The moutain biking is incredible is you handle technical riding and climbs. The they have trail map and there are great vistas on the mtb/hiking trails

Comment

Sharp Bridge. but I am biased since this is the only car camping I've done in the Adirondacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeblesticks View Post
                  I'm trying to figure out what would be the best campground to stay at where we could experience the usual list of campground desirables. We would like to take the kids to the wild center in Tupper Lake on Saturday
                  This is a secret...Shhhhhh....I think it's THE best kept secret in the Adirondacks. John Dillon Park was built to be accessible for wimpy people like me who are mobility impaired...but they also let in "the general public". I just camped there for a week and it was FANTASTIC!

There are lean-to's around Grampus Lake and 2 new ones at Handsome. You get a lean-to, firewood, fireplace with swing away grate, bear box for food, etc. This is meant to be a wilderness experience. No jet skis or motorboats. They do have an electric pontoon boat for hour long rides around Grampus. It's incredible and so is the price. It's so cheap I'm going to make you look it up to keep away the riff raff :-)

JohnDillonPark.org
                  Wendy the Wanderer in the NY Adirondacks
                  http://wendyusuallywanders.wordpress.com/

Comment

Fall campgrounds?

I had a bad experience at Taylor Pond a couple of years ago. A couple of 'friends got into a big fight. There was a lot of yelling, obscenities and then a pickup leaving at a high rate of speed.

I've had great success at the island sites in Putnam pond in the past. This past Friday night I got a nice site on the A loop at Buck Pond. You people are right-I had a fantastic time! I left Saturday morning in the drizzle and headed over to the Wild Center after 10 minutes in the car I decided I would stop back after the Wild Center and see if I could get a second night. Bad move, it was full by the time I got back, never should have left

Now here is my question: What are the good fall campgrounds?

Scott
                    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."
                    -George Washington Sears

Comment

Interesting. Car camping was always free camping with car access within easy walking distance in my definition, but I see I'm in the minority here. Anyway, my fav sites are all free and primitive and near water. Here are a few rather well known ones:

Mountain Pond (off Rt. 30 on the way to Malone)

Moss Lake (on Big Moose Road near Old Forge)

Boreas River (at the bridge on Northwoods Club Road)

Floodwood Road (off Rt. 30 between Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake)

Horseshoe Lake (the one near the Bog River access)

Boquet River (By the railroad tracks near Elizabethtown)

Moose River Plains (South Branch of the Moose has a wild brookie population).

There are numerous others I know of on public lands that can be accessed by car but aren't official sites, so you have to stay back 150 from the water - not such an inconvenience, really. I often base out of these for the great fishing that is nearby. I won't be giving these up any time soon, but you can find your own once you start searching for them.

Well, as far as public campgrounds I've been to in the 'Dacks:

Nick's Lake is great with fantastic facilities and a beautiful lake with many sites on the water. Shallow water with lots of room to practice fancy canoe moves that tend to spill you out of the boat.

Eighth Lake is OK especially because it reverts to free status after Columbus Day (although the lakeside loop is closed then). With a boat it is almost car camping to make the short paddle across to the lean-tos on the other side from Rt. 28.

Golden Beach on Raquette Lake (primitive sites only, the main campground is an RV zoo). Nice sites on the water with outhouses and picnic tables (with use of showers and flush toilets only a two minute drive away).

Lake Durant has good fishing if you are into warm water stuff but I rarely fish for anything but trout. Nice lake to paddle with direct access from many sites.

Worst by far is one I have spent altogether too much time at with my family- Wilmington Notch. Easy access to the West Branch of the Ausable made this a very noisy and unprivate base camp for fishing during the Trico hatch in August. Worst I've ever seen (never stayed there) is Fish Creek Ponds on a weekend - it's like the suburbs spreading out into the wilderness. I'd rather stay in a motel.

Comment

Lake Durant

I am probably biased because I have been camping there for the last 10 years, but it is quiet and generally peaceful. It's not a big party campground either; and it also has good hiking all around. It is wicked fun to kayak or canoe on when it's not to windy, despite its proximity to route 28/30. Also not too far from Long Lake, Indian Lake, or Inlet for supplies. It has great sunsets too because you can look west down the lake at some mountains that the sun sets behind.
                        Forever Wild!

http://www.panoramio.com/user/2012772

Comment

I'm all set for Saturday night at Paradox Lake State Campground. I'll post my results when I get back.

Scott
                          "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."
                          -George Washington Sears

Comment

I had site 49 and it was ok but not very flat. When I got there I saw a family with 4 young boys across from me-not a good sign. The boys were up yelling till about 10 and their parents were playing guitar and singing till about 10:30. It poured when I was taking down my tent and I got soaked but it would have been great except for the neighborhood

Scott
                            -George Washington Sears

Comment

Anything in the maze of backroads in the Northern Adirondacks that's near water.

I also some random spots North of Wells, back on dirt roads for quite awhile.
                              Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

Working...
                              X