No announcement yet.

Free Camping For Dumbies (Like Me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the welcome. As anyone who's met me knows, I'm pretty out there. I'm just trying to be on my best behavior so as to make a good first impression : )
    "There is pleasure when a sore is scratched
    But to be without sores is more pleasurable still
    Just so, there is pleasure in worldly desires
    But to be without desires is more pleasurable still"

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
      Do you go to SUNY Plattsburgh? If so do you know about Larry Soroka's program in Adirondack Experience and Expeditionary Studies? Even if you don't, I'm sure Larry could give you some local hiking tips. (get those recommended Discover the Adirondack books too)
      I do in fact go to SUNY Plattsburgh! I'm a social work major in a wonderful internship where I'm in the Adirondacks at least twice a week. But if I wasn't a social work major, I would have joined the Larry's program.

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

If you're into canoeing another door's opened.

Comment

Originally posted by suescanal View Post
          I would say more like 2,000 doors open.
          Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbjorg View Post
            Thanks the for the welcome!

I go to school in Plattsburgh, so areas of the northeastern Adirondacks would be ideal. I'd like to be able to drive to an area, and not have to hike too far to get to a site (no more than 5 miles). I'd be open to trying any area with a nice view of a lake, or a nice hike. I would love to just set up a tent right next to a lake if at all possible, and I'm not scared of cold or snow.

I'm sorry if the question was too general, but I really have no idea what the rules are for where you are and aren't allowed to set up a tent for free in the park.
            Well that makes two of us. What dorm are you living in this semester? I've paddled the saranac river and taken some climbing classes on Poko-Moonshine this semester. I love the location of this school and how close it is to the mountains. If you need help with finding hikes/camping spots I'd be glad to help you out!
            I cherish the outdoors. Its the adventure, the unknown, and the call of the wild that gives me its thrill, passion, and deepest respect.

Comment

Originally posted by southernadkhiker View Post
              Well that makes two of us. What dorm are you living in this semester? I've paddled the saranac river and taken some climbing classes on Poko-Moonshine this semester. I love the location of this school and how close it is to the mountains. If you need help with finding hikes/camping spots I'd be glad to help you out!
              I live off campus. I definitely love it up here too though. The lake and the mountains is one of the main reasons I came here. I have an internship where I work in the Adirondacks every weekend and I love it. I've lost count of how many times I've hiked Poko, it's a great place to take women in dates.

What are some spots that you like to camp/hike around here? I've done rock climbing at Owl's Head and I've hiked Coon Mountain and the Moose Lake lately. And for kayaking I really like Taylor Pond.

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by suescanal View Post
                One could add, if you're not into canoeing, get into canoeing. True, there's enough backpacking to keep one busy for a lifetime, but oh, the canoe camping you'd miss!

More here.

By the way, the vast majority of canoe camping is free.
                The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin

Comment

Originally posted by mwanner View Post
                  One could add, if you're not into canoeing, get into canoeing. True, there's enough backpacking to keep one busy for a lifetime, but oh, the canoe camping you'd miss!
                  OR KAYAKING!!!!

Comment

More here.

By the way, the vast majority of canoe camping is free.
                    I've wanted a canoe for a long time. If only I wasn't a poor college student...

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbjorg View Post
                      I've wanted a canoe for a long time. If only I wasn't a poor college student...
                      Ah, but that's what outfitters are for. Granted, poor college students can't afford to do a lot of canoe renting, but you could get a good taste affordably enough. You could also keep an eye out for a decent used boat.

Anyway, there's more than enough hiking to keep you busy, but keep the lakes and streams in the back of your mind-- they were the original highways into the wilderness. Enjoy!
                      The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin

Comment

[QUOTE=Adalbjorg;110649]I've wanted a canoe for a long time. If only I wasn't a poor college student...[/QU

or make friends with friends who own kayaks and canoes!

Comment

Poco is a great place to start. Park at the State campground and head up to the lean to. Spend the night there, get up early and catch the sunrise over the Green Mt and Lake Champlain. How are things in the Plattsburgh? I hear much has changed since I graduated in 1985 but I assume the eagle is still firmly affixed to the statue downtown?

Comment

Originally posted by WBB View Post
                            Poco is a great place to start. Park at the State campground and head up to the lean to. Spend the night there, get up early and catch the sunrise over the Green Mt and Lake Champlain. How are things in the Plattsburgh? I hear much has changed since I graduated in 1985 but I assume the eagle is still firmly affixed to the statue downtown?
                            Poco is so crowded though. It's a good place for a date, but not for camping in my opinion. I've found a few gems since I posted this thread.

I'm not sure if things have changed since 1985, since I wasn't alive then : ) But yes, you'll be happy to know that the eagle is still towering over downtown. If you have any stories about '85 Plattsburgh, I'd love to hear them.

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

Ah, but that's what outfitters are for. Granted, poor college students can't afford to do a lot of canoe renting, but you could get a good taste affordably enough. You could also keep an eye out for a decent used boat.

Anyway, there's more than enough hiking to keep you busy, but keep the lakes and streams in the back of your mind-- they were the original highways into the wilderness. Enjoy!
                              That's a good suggestion. When it warms up, I might rent a canoe. I do it all the time back home, but I've never gone canoe camping and I've been dying to ever since I learned about it.

-Nāgārjuna (150-250 AD)

Comment

Working...
                              X