Quiet, private camping sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluequill View Post
    Lake Harris State Campground works for me as a base camp for day trips of hiking and paddling different areas. It is probably a 15 minute drive to Tahawus for high peaks trail heads and little longer for some good paddling waters. Although motorized boats are allowed it is not an issue here and since there is no playground or swimming beach it tends to be quiet. Some sites are close to each other but the lower numbered sites have some space with trees. Very friendly staff there too.
    no beach at Lake Harris? Not true. We spent many years family camping and going to the small DEC campground beach, whcih even had a lifeguard on duty. Often though, there is no one else on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by adkayaker View Post
      no beach at Lake Harris? Not true. We spent many years family camping and going to the small DEC campground beach, whcih even had a lifeguard on duty. Often though, there is no one else on the beach.
      Although there is a beach, swimming has not been allowed the past couple of years. I'm sure you could wade/ swim at the campsites but there was no lifeguard and signs were up prohibiting swimming at the beach area. There is a public beach across the lake along rt 28 which is run by the town of Newcomb. Not sure about lifeguards though.

Comment

Does anyone know of any specific campsite numbers at the ADK Loj for someone to stay at? Any good wooded/private sites available?

Comment

Muller Pond. Schroon Lake. I've been here many many many weekends and did not see other people. Other than the occasional fisherman. Kind of like the 9 corners it was once a heavy party area but DEC has been pretty hefty on cracking down on the kids. Some of the locals use it as a nice lunch/fishing spot. There is a island in the middle of the pond to explore, and hiking trails around the pond. It's got some nice paddling and it's like having your own little private lake. It's pretty fun.

Last edited by JackG79; 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: Wipe up after my brain fart.
          Well my style of stress relief
          Sometimes disturbs the peace
          The police show up
          And cut donuts in my yard
          And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
          They run off my party crowd
          They cuff up my wrist
          And throw me down so hard

Comment

Originally posted by JackG79 View Post
            ... and you are pretty much alone. I've been here many many many weekends and did not see other people.
            You do realize that is all gonna change now...
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
              You do realize that is all gonna change now...
              It amazes me that people divulge detailed info. on "quiet, peaceful, isolated campsites on the world wide web....How do they have any chance of staying that way?

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                It amazes me that people divulge detailed info. on "quiet, peaceful, isolated campsites on the world wide web....How do they have any chance of staying that way?
                He should've prefaced it with "Just between you and me..."
                Scooting here and there
                Through the woods and up the peaks
                Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."â„¢

Comment

If you get off Exit 27 on I-87 North. Take Rte 9 7-8 Miles till you reach Hoffman Rd in Schroon Lake. Take a left on to Hoffman. Follow hoffman about 7 miles and on your left side is "Muller Pond" There is only 1 site on the entire pond, and you are pretty much alone. I've been here many many many weekends and did not see other people. Other than the occasional fisherman. Kind of like the 9 corners it was once a heavy party area but DEC has been pretty hefty on cracking down on the kids. Some of the locals use it as a nice lunch/fishing spot. There is a island in the middle of the pond to explore, and hiking trails around the pond. It's got some nice paddling and it's like having your own little private lake. It's pretty fun.

Do you have to reserve these sites, if so who would I contact?

Comment

Look, you've got one taker already!

Comment

Originally posted by colden46 View Post
                      Look, you've got one taker already!
                      Ahhhh...remember the good old days with maps, guidebooks and an occaisional inspiration from an Adirondack Life Mag.?

Comment

I've been saying it all along...

The internet has ruined everything!!

Comment

Originally posted by RichK View Post
                          Do you have to reserve these sites, if so who would I contact?
                          Yes. You Do. You can contact me here directly. They are available for a monetary fee of $425.00 per nite for NY/NJ residence. Also you must be willing to donate a minimum of 25 hours of community service to DEC helping to clean-up and restore the site, and the surrounding areas. Thanks for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you and receiving your deposit.

Please make all checks payable to the Earth Day fund.
                          Well my style of stress relief
                          Sometimes disturbs the peace
                          The police show up
                          And cut donuts in my yard
                          And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
                          They run off my party crowd
                          They cuff up my wrist
                          And throw me down so hard

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                            I've been saying it all along...

The internet has ruined everything!!
                            Werent you the 2nd person to reply and give a list of places with pics?

society, you're a crazy breed
                            I hope you're not lonely without me
                            society, crazy and deep

Comment

Yes. You Do. You can contact me here directly. They are available for a monetary fee of $425.00 per nite for NY/NJ residence. Also you must be willing to donate a minimum of 25 hours of community service to DEC helping to clean-up and restore the site, and the surrounding areas. Thanks for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you and receiving your deposit.

Please make all checks payable to the Earth Day fund.
                              Look a funny guy!

society, you're a crazy breed
                              society, crazy and deep

Comment

Working...
                              X