No announcement yet.

Do You Use Snow Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. 4WD Explorers and subsequent Jeep Grand Cherokee combined with caution has served well for the last twenty years... knock on wood. We also have a 4WD Chrysler Town and Country that we tend to keep in the garage if the forecast is bad.

Comment

Put directional snows on wife's Liberty every year (did the same when we had Subarus) and leave the BFG T/A's on my truck year round. It's a very rare occassion when we can't get where we want to go.
      ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

I use genuine, snowflake-on-the-mountain emblemed snow tires on my fwd Saturn. Because of that, I figured I could go with a more durable, higher mpg tire for the rest of the year, rather than an all season tire. But when I bought the 3 season tires in the summer of 08, there were very few that had any kind of gas mileage rating.
        I've got two sets of rims, so I can avoid garage costs of remounting and balancing twice a year. Does anyone know how often snow tires should be re-balanced? Mine are about to start their 5th winter, and I'm thinking of taking two to be computer balanced to see if they'd gotten out of balance. If so, I'd do the other two. Otherwise, not.
        MarkL
        "A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work."

Comment

Originally posted by mikie View Post
          I probably should have explained my statement a little better. But, my post was already pretty long.

The FJ has the 'potential' to be one of the best vehicles for winter traveling. But, this would require purchasing the right options, and modifying the vehicle. You would need to purchase the option limited slip differentials and A-Trac (traction control). If I remember correctly, they have 265 or 270 tires. This is too wide for snow traveling. You would have to choose a more narrow tire for snow travel. Maybe 225 or 235 for winter. And, you would better off with steel belting then polyester. The side walls of the stock tires are too flexible for good snow travel.

The vehicle was specifically designed for the off-road crowd. It is setup for summer off-road adventures.
          Noted Mikie...It was killer any other season...Obscure, nasty ,rocky, rutty, log-covered trailheads were no problemo..Fun actually... But for someone w/ a 13y/o...and an 85lb pooch...plus gear..It never was very practical..Alas traded away...
          Cats#1668/1669 and Cats HH- ADK#6338
          http://billc926.smugmug.com/Nature

Comment

Studded tires in Canada

I once heard that studded tires are illegal in either Quebec or Ontario. I just looked it up.
            They're legal in Quebec from October 15 to May 1. They have to be on both axles.
            They're legal for Northern Ontario residents only, but read this:

From an Ontario Ministry of Transportation site:

Do out-of-province visitors face fines if they have heavy (steel) studs on their vehicles?

No, as long as they do not stay longer than 30 days. The stud weight regulation does not apply to visitors. Similarly to Northern residents, they can use studded tires, in the legal period, anywhere in Ontario.

If you're going to be driving in other provinces in winter, there's a chart on this page w/ basic info on using studded tires.

I don't know how recent this info is. What do you know, oh boreal neighbors?
            MarkL
            "A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work."

Comment

Working...
            X