Nick's Lake & Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
    Food and mating are the primary concerns of the Adirondack black bear.
    Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
    the 1st night, I woke up to hear heavy foot steps and breathing, then I heard the springs on my old Ramcharger creaking. I heard a screeching sound, more heavy steps, more spring creaks, then nothing.
    Food or mating? You decide.
    Scooting here and there
    Through the woods and up the peaks
    Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
      As we pulled in to the campground, the ranger warned us that there was a bit of a problem with bears. He told us to be sure to keep any food locked up overnight, and even to cover any coolers. Apparently, the marauding bears knew what to look for and had damaged several vehicles in the previous weeks.
      We followed their advise and covered all coolers and food bins with some beach towels.

Sure enough, the 1st night, I woke up to hear heavy foot steps and breathing, then I heard the springs on my old Ramcharger creaking. I heard a screeching sound, more heavy steps, more spring creaks, then nothing. I fell back asleep, not sure if I imagined all that or not.

Next morning, there was slobber and paw prints on both side windows and the rear hatch. There were scratches on both doors and the rear liftgate too. I can still imagine the scene that I never actually saw...that poor hungry fellow peering into my windows to find a few morsels.

That was Rollins Pond, the year, 1995. Is it still the same, I don't know.
      I've been going to Rollins for about 10 years now and have never seen a bear. I've been told they have one once in awhile from the people at the registration booth but I have yet to see any.

Comment

Quite the climbers!

Lily has moved her family a quarter mile from the den to a large white pine on a south-facing slope near the shore of a lake. Faith scales the tree with ease...

Comment

Originally posted by rollinslover64 View Post
          I've been going to Rollins for about 10 years now and have never seen a bear. I've been told they have one once in awhile from the people at the registration booth but I have yet to see any.

My point exactly!!
          I remember staying at Forked Lake and the ranger telling us that there were no fewer than 6 "problem" bears. I even witnessed myself a bear swimming to an island site where the campers were gone for the day and left all of their food unprotected...a year or two after food lockers were installed, no more bear visits.

As I said before, my public campsite experiences are out of date...

There must be enough members here to update my experiences.

Comment

It's not only food that attracts bears. They can smell a dirty dipper from miles away.
            We were car camping two sites away from a couple with a baby. The ranger giving a nature tour mentioned that bears love dirty dippers, so the couple put one in the trunk after a changing at night - not a good time to go to the dumpster - bears were bouncing on top of it - and a bear took a bite right through the side of the car. Tooth went through the medal. Couple left that morning. Bear never bothered us at all.
            BTW - a good way to check if there's any bears at a public campground is to check the dumpster. Lid all bent up, claw scratches, footprints inside the dumpster.....
            Leaving food out is simply dumb. It attracts mice, raccoons, crows, flies, everything.

Comment

When I was in the Smokies the rangers would have the car campers watch a video showing a black bear punching through side glass windows to get a cooler. He had a great upper cut.
              You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself.

Comment

Our grand kids see Nicks as a second home. Skipping Nicks would be like skipping christmas for them.
                That said, along with the proximity of "hubbub" stuff the kids like(water park), It has always been a well taken care of, well patrolled for noise, wicked "kid-friendly" camp ground. If you don't prefer to see or hear little kids...don't go.
                Because of the FAMILY(lots of kids)atmosphere, there is lots of food. Kids are fussy eaters and, they are messy. lots of cooking. all day long. Lots of leftovers and smells. Lots of food and snacks dropped and left unattended by kids. BEARS.
                Used to be, the camp workers would be on patrol, and if they saw a cooler, or food unattended- they would confiscate, and leave a note to pick it up at the station. With all the cut backs, there is not the same vigilance at all the parks I imagine-it is noticeable at Nicks to us. We had a persistent bear in our loop last July, and after the second visit, DEC came in and used "noise guns" to chase it into the forest. It did not return while we were there(?).
                Last season, there was a thread about nuisance a bear that was killed at or near a park (8th?). Allegedly, the animal was a repeat visitor that some "campers" had fed throughout the season. I'm not sure why there aren't stiffer penalties for those who feed bears in a park. A Huge fine and park reservation ban for life if I was king. Yea, there is likely to be a visiting bear or two at Nicks.
                And, another thing...just a quick look by the same person who checks the park permit to monitor the firewood being brought in would make me happier. oops, sorry for the rant
                "a hotdog at the park is way better than roast beef at the ritz" ... humphrey bogart

Comment

If you camp in campgrounds and you keep a very clean site that does not mean you will not see bears.The people next to you or 3-4 sites away could be not as clean and that means you will see bears. There is a system that some of the state parks are using. You will see tags on there ears and I can not remember the color code but if you see 1-2 tags on there ears then that means they have been traped and taged and moved then they have returned to the area and they will be considered a nuisance and will be euthanized. The main issue with all the bears is in the last 10 or more years the dumps have cloesed and there are not the number of hunters hunting them. I have a camp in Hoffmister and we are seeing and killing more bear than in the past.Th camp has been in my family since 1920 and have never had a bear break in but 2 years ago one enter through and window in the back and then did it again the following week. But they are out there and we all need to be awear that they can be dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                  X