X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campfire bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by l'oiseau View Post
      It's all freeze dried to me, some are slightly better than others... In fact I'd rather have homemade freeze dried stuff than something from any company.
      I think you mean homemade dehydrated (such as Hawk Vittles), not freeze dried. Freeze drying is not a home process.

The first Yukon 1000 mile race started in 2009, and the rules specified that each paddler must start with 20kg of food (that's 44 pounds) for a potential 3 week outing. Didn't matter if it was wet (canned) or dry (dehydrated), added water weight to make it edible did not count. I've been home dehydrating meals for myself and for Boy Scout treks for over 20 years...... but not 44 pounds each - arggh.

Do the math for my voyageur canoe team of 7 paddlers times 44 pounds. So... I home dehydrated and packaged every major meal, breakfast and dinner. We rehydrated and ate hot meals while still on the water paddling the race. Lunch and snacks were up to the individual to be purchased in Whitehorse. I had over 200 pounds of dehydrated food, and it all fit in a very large bear resistant (another requirement) Yeti chest. We finished the race in a little over 6 days, and had way more than 2/3 of the food left over. Thankfully the food weight requirement was eliminated for the 2010 race.
      Last edited by Wldrns; 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Yes I meant dehydrated, not freeze dried.

Don't ban me from the ADKs.

Comment

Not sure why we would ban you. I use a combi of Hawk Vittles, commercial freeze dried (doesn't excite me cause of the high sodium content and chemicals) and home dehydrated. Mostly I dehydrate fruits and vegetables at home. Unless of course I am lazy and have a fat wallet (Whole Foods or Pack It Gourmet)

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
            How dare you compare Hawk's offerings to Mountain House??? You could be banned from the Adirondacks for that, if not NY.
            This is why ^^

I don't eat the stuff for 3 weeks straight so I'm not as concerned about the sodium.

Comment

This is why ^^

I don't eat the stuff for 3 weeks straight so I'm not as concerned about the sodium.

C'mon lets be gentle. The poor bird may be a crow. That means more HV for us who like food that tastes different from the next camp food offering, unlike MH which is OK but basically all alike !

Comment

If you're talking about the Blue Moon diner in Saranac Lake, I'm with you.
                That place was great.

Might have to try the place in Keene.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
                  C'mon lets be gentle. The poor bird may be a crow. That means more HV for us who like food that tastes different from the next camp food offering, unlike MH which is OK but basically all alike !
                  I'm certainly not hawkish although I'm no crow either. I'd imagine I'm more like a turkey. My wife says I resemble an otter but it just doesn't sound as good as l'oiseau.

Originally posted by oruacat2 View Post
                  If you're talking about the Blue Moon diner in Saranac Lake, I'm with you.
                  That place was great.

Might have to try the place in Keene.
                  Yes I am. Great eats. I actually like Noonmark better (the place in Keene).

Comment

I'm certainly not hawkish although I'm no crow either. I'd imagine I'm more like a turkey. My wife says I resemble an otter but it just doesn't sound as good as l'oiseau.

Yes I am. Great eats. I actually like Noonmark better (the place in Keene).
                    I can't think of you as a turkey. Our turkeys here are not independent thinking. Get thirty of them between two snowbanks and they each look to each other for advice as to which way to move.

I must have hit Noonmark on a bad day. We just wanted a burger. It took a long time and the burger was awful. We did not stay for pie..as we foresaw another wait. I think getting the burger took over an hour.

Comment

I don't know if burgers would be the specialty of Noonmark. Try breakfast or something with homeade baked goods.

Comment

Working...
                      X