No announcement yet.

Why All The Subarus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me too. My 2009 Honda Fit was totalled several months ago (by a kid who was texting), and I used the insurance $$ to buy a Forester. I've been so frustrated, esp. since starting to paddle 7 years ago, by the number of access points requiring higher clearance than the Fit (which is a great car, overall) -- especially in Maine, but other states too. Haven't had a chance to do a remote trip yet, but my options are much wider now. I like the Forester a lot, except the lower mileage.

Comment

• only time I ver got stuck in a Subaru

Only time I ever got stuck. Damn beavers flooded a trail I was trying to get through near the Ausable and it sank past the axles. On my fifth Subaru now after I convinced my wife to get one too.
      Attached Files
      Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

• Mine lasted to 314,000 miles, still running fine but rusted to the point of not being able to register it in another state, PA. 2000 Outback Limited, (it had the most airbags at the time.) Told the people at CARS FOR KIDS where it was parked on the dockyard area of Baltimore - keys and signed over title under the passenger floor mat, doors unlocked. Two week later I received acknowledgment and thank you from them! (My son used the Subaru to drive one way to the docks to pick up his car that had been shipped from over seas.)

Comment

• Full Circle 2

Back Atcha Folks! Thinking about purchasing a Starlink account...

Curious to know what people's thoughts are about the functionality/reliability of the Starlink system within the Adirondack Park? Is it on-demand reliable, even in remote roadway areas (based on YOUR proven experiences)?

Online blog posts seem to indicate Starlink communications are 4g LTE based (AT&T network), while others instead suggest Starlink is satellite supported.
          I do realize nothing on earth is "fail proof", however, from a peace of mind standpoint, I like the idea of having access to a satellite based comm. system in the event that a comm. need would arise in a location where cellular coverage is scant/weak; perhaps a satellite would have a better chance punching a signal through into a deep valley, where cellular is insufficient.

The economy of cost for the system is debatable. What is too much $$ for some may seem like a peace-of-mind bargain for others. Not here to debate the economics, since paying even just $1 for it would be a waste if it is not spot-on reliable.

Comment

• I'll simply address the question of reliability between Sirius XM and cellphone.

I find cellphone - Verizon - to be unreliable in the Adirondacks.

I have been using XM radio for more than a decade all over the Adirondacks and Allagany National Forrest and find it the be quite reliable. Occasionally I lose a signal due to driving close to a mountain side while listening to a ball game (still follow St Louis so I need XM) due to the mountain blocking the signal .... like being in a tunnel..... blocks the signal.

I also have noticed an inability to pick up a signal parked under a large tree, especially during heavy rain... I think the wet leaves block the signal.
            I've also noticed a difference in the strength of the signal when I go to park the car at a campground. It can change from poor to good in a few yard distance. Again I think it's the trees......

So it's probably an issue of whether Starlink is SirusXM based regarding the signal.

Others will need to help you regarding it's value during an accident. I'd drop by a hospital or police station and talk to them......

Let us know..... I'm also interested in something like that and will probably just buy it if I can afford it...... better than nothing or not having it I'd expect.

Wish you'd have started a new thread regarding the issue.....
            Last edited by dockless; 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fintastic View Post
              Just returned to my home state from my second Adirondack trip in the last four weeks. Peculiar question, maybe, but why the preponderance of Subaru Outbacks/Foresters on the Adirondack roads? Many with the paddle-powered vehicle of choice lashed to the roof racks, of course. Is there some sort of transportation cult I should be aware of? I have heard some Subarus have that "can run forever" reputation ( I have never owned one myself), but jeeeeese, what is in the water people are drinking?!?!
              50% of the vehicles I see from I 81 88 205 and 167 are Subaru Outbacks . We started noticing this a few years back . I figure they run good and the all wheel drive helped in the winter .

Comment

• When my wife was in the market a few years ago, I researched and talked to some mechanic friends, and she bought a Forester. Price was right, and it has held up like a champ. The all wheel is also a game changer living in upstate New York, with our half year lake effect weather. Just a really well designed and made car, when my truck starts giving up the ghost, I'll be looking at one, too.

Comment

• I'm on my 4th Subaru. it was a huge move up from my old front wheel chevy sedan. With the old car I had to get up to a specific speed with a 90 degree turn to get up my curved driveway hill. Too fast and I end up in the snowbank on the lawn on the curve, too slow and I am stopped and sliding half way up. My Subarus always simply crawled up at slow speed. Never purchased nor had any need for Starlink.

A couple of years ago I drove mu fully loaded Forester with a C4 canoe on top to Dawson City YT and back to NY. Then a week later I drove loaded to San Antonio and back. No mechanical problems on either trip other than needing new tires after the dug up rough gouged surface pavement on the ALCAN.

I had always noticed that my Tracfone flip using Verizon worked better than my wife's using AT&T almost everywhere the Adirondacks.

My SiriusXM has frequent annoying drop outs, unexplainable especially when it often occurs in flatland with no trees, buildings or hills anywhere nearby.

By the way, I purchased each of my Subarus through their VIP program. If you belong to any one of several outdoor related organizations (LNT for one) you get a no haggle no questions asked price of 2% below invoice. The same discount price that their own employees get.
                  Last edited by Wldrns; 01-01-2020, 12:28 AM.
                  "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

• Actually it's the logo. Who wants stuff like stylized bull's horns, fancy "H"s, and so on, when you can have an elegant constellation of stars?

Comment

• My motivation was the winter performance combined with better gas mileage than an SUV. 2nd winter with it and as an avid xc skier, I could never go back to FWD year round. I can now get into parking areas or down un-plowed dirt roads with confidence. I have a wagon with lower clearance, so the only problem I ever run into is an ice hump hiding underneath a snowbank, but I keep a sledge and shovel in the back for those.

Comment

Working...
                      X