Cheap Sleeps in the Adks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Eagan
    My wife and I stayed there two winters ago for two nights. Bed, TV, cramped but functional bathroom, not much else. Pretty clean, very worn. Not a place I would return to unless there were no other options, but it was better than the Jackrabbit across the street.

I've stayed at the Jackrabbit hostel 2x this last year, $20 a night, new clean bunk rooms, clean sheets & bath towel, soap, individual wrapped plastic cups, private individual waterclosets, big common kitchen, pots, pans, dishes& flatware, large dinning area. Common room furniture is all beat up, not very pretty. I have no idea what the motel rooms are like.

I'll go back again.

Someone came into my bunk room after lights out and snored real bad, like a 250lb man. When I saw my roommate in the morning it was an older woman that couldn't have weighed 100Lbs. I couldn't believe someone so small could be so loud.

Little Rickie
    Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rickie
      I couldn't believe someone so small could be so loud.

Little Rickie
      Wait till you meet Saccos' bulldog "Winnie"
      "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

At http://www.accmontreal.ca/keenefarm.html we bathe in the Ausable (if at all), drink the "best" water ever tested by a certain university, have a bonfire at night, have great camaraderie and 103 acres. If there is a snorer in the hut one can always go sleep on the long balcony. Dishes, pots, cutlery are available for hut users.

Available are all the comforts of home except for electricity and running water!

Comment

Originally posted by dog View Post
          And Hotel Saranac . I'm with Willie, but from another side-as a customer. The staff-students just really make theirs best. About humans and about dogs. I still have this " Pet in the Room . PLEASE DO NOT ENTER " . But I remember, they charge some as $30 for a dog ? Anyway it's a good and friendly place .
          It is sold -( . No students-staff any more -( .
          Just wish ...

Comment

Originally posted by dog View Post
            It is sold -( . No students-staff any more -( .
            Just wish ...
            I heard....
            Paul Smiths is running the old Holiday Inn up on the hill in Lake Placid now.
            They should have excellent food now.

Not cheap though....
            Jules of Eagle Bay

Comment

Jackrabbit Inn destroyed by fire

Posted on Adkhighpeaks:

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Hikerdad View Post
                What places (hotels, inns, etc.) have people stayed in the High Peaks region that are decent but inexpensive (or at least reasonable)? And within an hour or so of Lake Placid (like in Schroon Lake, Long Lake, Keene, Keene Valley, etc.)? The Lake Placid rates get a bit painful...staying at a hostel sounds fun but when 4 people go (three kids and I) you may as well stay in a hotel...

Thanks,

The Adirondack Sports Shop (Wilmington, Rte 86) has a motel and restaurant, I heard them quoting a rate of $65 a night for lodging and 3 meals a day (http://adirondackflyfishing.com/). The Hungry Trout also looks fairly nice - motel type accomodations
                (http://www.hungrytrout.com/ht_lodge_m.html) The Wilderness Inn also has cabins (http://www.lakeplacid.net/wildernessinn/), all very close to Lake Placid in Wilmington on Rte 86.

Comment

This makes me really miss High Peaks Base Camp

Anybody know what's happened to the place? I drove by a couple of years ago, shortly after its owner passed away, but haven't checked it out since.
                  It was perfect while it was in operation; rooms, dorm beds, and campsites were cheap, and almost always available without a reservation, plus (most of the time) a functioning bar and restaurant. Everything you needed and nothing you didn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X