Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet, private camping sites?

Hi.

I've been heading to the ADK LOJ campground for a couple of years now. Love the place, quiet and somewhat private sites, great spot to start your hikes, lake for swimming and canoeing and plenty of vegetation. I hate campsites where there are no trees, vegetation between sites...

Can you recommend other campsites that are similar or that you may even find better? Maybe post some pictures to give me an idea? I've heard about Forked Lake?

Thanks.
    ...And all that could have been.

Are you looking for actual campgrounds with a bunch of campsite? Or just regular campsites, like any campsite?
    Videos --- Camp Loonsong --- Mountains Climbed

Comment

I've never stayed at the Loj, but whenever I pass through there, it seems to me to be busier than nearly any state campground. Some of the state campgrounds are better than others, typically those with less amenities are quiter than those with full facilities.
      I have stayed at Forked Lake many times, all the sites are primitive, and most are water access, a few you can hike to, and some are water access only. There is a size limit on boat motors, but I can't remember what the number is. It is usually very quiet there, and some pleasant views looking west. There is also a handfull of informal sites at the other end of the lake, near Brandreth Lake Outlet. It's even quiter there...

Comment

Thanks guys. The LOJ is quite busy within the parking area and such but the campsites are nice and quiet from what i've experienced in the past. As far as what i am looking for...well, any campsites i guess. I get away from the city to leave all the noise, shouting, car sounds and the such behind me. I am certainly not looking for a campsite like Roger's Rock where we stayed 2 years ago. Worst ever. Sites are almost one on top of the other, motor boats zooming by on the lake, loud people and some quite obnoxious...That is what i am trying to stay away from...!

Comment

See, that's all we need, a little insight.
          Like when I meet some folks that say "Oh! I ski too. We should go sometime"
          Then I ask what are your favorite 3 places and BAM!! I've got my insight. It only takes just a question or two to get to the crux of it all.

Try Browns Tract Pond, Lake Harris, Buck Pond.
          You didn't say if you have a boat or not. If you do, then even a single 0.1 mile carry will drop out the first 80% of the people. Camp 2 carries in and it gets very tranquil. At Little Tupper Lake, you cannot see the next nearest site. Here's a sample:
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike. Yes i do have a canoe and for once, i am thinking about bringing it our this time around! Last couple of times, i left it home...
            I'll do some googling for your suggestions.
            Thanks again.

Steph

Comment

Ok, a few more quiet places:

Round Lake. The Round Lake Wilderness surrounding Round Lake (near little Tupper Lake in the North-Central Adirondacks) has several designated campsites. All are pretty far from each other, and a few on the Northern and Eastern shores have lovely beaches. You must paddle to get to these sites, but they're totally worth it!

Lake Lila. Lake Lila is the largest lake in the Adirondacks that is completely surrounded by state-owned wilderness. There are some lovely campsites scattered around the lake, and from what I've seen, the mist on this lake is lovely. Most sites are by water access only.

The St. Regis Canoe Wilderness. This place is pregnant with private and secluded camping sites. It can be a little tricky to get to the better ones (because of portaging and such), but it's worth it. I would highly suggest getting the Adirondack Paddler's Map. It covers all of the above areas, and is a must-have for the St. Regis area. Again, this is mostly a water-access area.

The Northville Placid Trail (NPT). This trail usually has a combination of popular and remote camping sites. If you pick some of the more remote sites, you can often have the area to yourself, even on weekends. Just get the ADK NPT map, and check out some of the sections. The further in you go, the less people you will find. This is land access, so you can hike in.

Back roads! I'm always hesitant to recommend these, because many of them are illegal. But, several backroads (only those through DEC forest preserve) have camp sites along them. Back into Cory's Rd near Tupper Lake, into the St. Regis Canoe Wilderness Road, Towards Horseshoe Lake near Tupper Lake, etc. There might be some small RV's or large tents back there, but sometimes you find a really nice area, even one with waterfront. Please just respect the owners property if it's private and says no camping, and make sure it's a designated spot if it's in DEC land. Explore, and see what you find!

I hope those are helpful. The list honestly goes on and on and on. You have a pretty good start, though.

Comment

Round Lake:

Round Lake:

Round Lake:

Round Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGCY...e=channel_page

Round Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6tklvhG64

St. Regis Canoe Wilderness:

St. Regis Canoe Wilderness:

St. Regis Canoe Wilderness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZo1GCVqmw

Comment

I would like to recommend: Higley Flow State Park, located in South Colton, NY - which is right outside the Adirondack "Blue Line". It is run by OPRHP, not DEC. It has 135 campsites - some of which are electric, a nice beach and picnic area, small boat launch, nature center, and over 10 miles of hiking and xc ski trails, that have 2 ADK lean-tos on them. The campsites are nicely laid out, in various loops - not packed close together. You can usually find an empty, quiet site. Except for busy holiday weekends, like July 4th, it is not usually filled to capacity. I think that it is a real gem of a State Park.

Comment

Parts of some state campgrounds are better than others, too. For instance, we stayed at Golden Beach on Raquette Lake a few years ago, without knowing anything about it. We happened to pick a site far away from the water, and it was very quiet. We walked down to the beach that night, and the sites down by the water were a whole different world -- right on top of each other, loud, etc.

Comment

Lake Harris State Campground works for me as a base camp for day trips of hiking and paddling different areas. It is probably a 15 minute drive to Tahawus for high peaks trail heads and little longer for some good paddling waters. Although motorized boats are allowed it is not an issue here and since there is no playground or swimming beach it tends to be quiet. Some sites are close to each other but the lower numbered sites have some space with trees. Very friendly staff there too.

Comment

how about up in la verendrye, Quebec? Always wanted to paddle there.

Comment

Originally posted by bluequill View Post
                          Lake Harris State Campground works for me as a base camp for day trips of hiking and paddling different areas. It is probably a 15 minute drive to Tahawus for high peaks trail heads and little longer for some good paddling waters. Although motorized boats are allowed it is not an issue here and since there is no playground or swimming beach it tends to be quiet. Some sites are close to each other but the lower numbered sites have some space with trees. Very friendly staff there too.
                          And it's the perfect place to start a trip up the Newcomb River!

Comment

Originally posted by adkayaker View Post
                            how about up in la verendrye, Quebec? Always wanted to paddle there.
                            Awesome water. It used to be a yearly destination for some fantastic walleye and pike fishing. I haven't been there in a while but you could spend a week on the water and never see another person.

Comment

Thats true about the La Verendry. Great place. see here: http://www.sepaq.com/rf/lvy/en/

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now all i need is to choose!

Comment

Working...
                              X