No announcement yet.

Private Clubs in the ADKs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too belong to a club. The Sawtooth Range Club. There are no roads, trails or any other amenity. So far, membership is free and there is one member on the roster. The region is teeming with wild game. No logging is permitted and all of the land is public and highly protected from any form of development. You can visit but may not remain. International membership is encouraged.

The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil;136906]I too belong to a club. The Sawtooth Range Club. There are no roads, trails or any other amenity. So far, membership is free and there is one member on the roster. The region is teeming with wild game. No logging is permitted and all of the land is public and highly protected from any form of development. You can visit but may not remain. International membership is encouraged.

[/QUOTE
      \
      Thanks Neil,
      But can you have a little shack in the woods in which you can hang out it with a soft bed and a privey to plant your cheaks on early in the morning?
      Too each his own...and the door is always open with a candle in the window...

Happy Thanksgiving to all the ppl south of the border, and to you farm hands, a happy harvest season!
      Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
      Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
        I also belong to a club, The Minerva Fish and Game Club. The club has existed for over 60 years.The actual lease is near Long Lake on the Newcomb Rd. We have over 5000 acres that is actively logged .There are about 20 camps on the lease with around hundred members.Each camp is owned either by a small group or an individual.You can either belong to a camp, or just be a member at large.We too are looking for members and a couple of camps are for sale. The camps are usually small, being less than 500 Square feet.All are off the grid, with varied amenities. PM if interested in joining or in buying a camp.

Please PM me with a little info. Thanks Rickie
        Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by lumberzac View Post
          The buildings at the Upper Works trailhead were all once part of the Tahawus Club.

There's still a club back there on the road that goes back to the upper works. I can't remember the name, but there's a metal silo type thing on the property-if you're driving up towards Tahawus, it's on the left.

Comment

My curiousity got the best of me a few years ago and I walked through the grounds of this "club". A few of the camps looked kept up, but many others were more like trailers. A stream meadered through the site and I think I recall a ponded area (not sure). The area was teaming with an abnormal supply of biting insects which was was inconsisent with the bug supply de jour north of the Upper Works trailhead. The "metal silo" thing is an old sawdust/scrap wood incinerator, they are known as "beehive burners" and they generally went out of use by the 1970's (they pollute like crazy). These things were used to dispose of sawdust/wooden scrap at a sawmill, so I'd say that this place used to be a sawmill site. There was a time when sawdust piled up and up. The mills were usually at streamside, so the sawdust ended washing away in the water. At some point they erected these things to burn it off (hey, if the water can't take your pollution away .... then let the air do it!). The sawdust was usually load via conveyor, into the top. Air inlets are around the bottom and the smoke exitted through the screened peak. These days, sawdust as a very salable commodity, they make engineering lumber, fuel pellets and etc from it.
            Last edited by hdscooterfool; 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM. Reason: to correct a misspelling/update info
            The obvious is not always apparent: Paco Underhill

Comment

This is not typical of the clubs. Trust me.
              Five Thousand Acres of Peace & Serenity
              Far from the Hubbub of the High Peaks.
              sigpic
              Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
              "We have Our Own High Peak!"
              www.bmlcny.com

Comment

Originally posted by bobrok View Post
                This is not typical of the clubs. Trust me.
                Nice website!

Seems all of the different interests are represented.

Likeminded people having a good time while paying the rent ,instead of the taxpayers picking up the tab.
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Thanks, Chairrock. The web site is very basic but it does put a good foot forward in promoting the club.
                  Just getting back from several days at the cabin (my wife refuses to let me call it 'deer camp' or even 'camp').
                  People are really getting into the holiday spirit......
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  www.bmlcny.com

Comment

Originally posted by bobrok View Post
                    Thanks, Chairrock. The web site is very basic but it does put a good foot forward in promoting the club.
                    Just getting back from several days at the cabin (my wife refuses to let me call it 'deer camp' or even 'camp').
                    People are really getting into the holiday spirit......
                    Show this to Rudoph Looncry

Comment

Disclaimer#1:

No deer were harmed in the taking of this photograph.

Disclaimer #2:

This photograph was not taken on BLMC lands. The proffering of such photograph shall not suggest the responsibility of said BMLC for said photograph, nor does it suggest the endorsement of said BMLC for the taking or placement of said photograph on this website.

Disclaimer #3:

Things like this don't really happen at BMLC. We are not *those* kind of people.

There. I just had to get this off my chest.
                      sigpic
                      www.bmlcny.com

Comment

Does anyone know anything about the Kempshall Mountain Club?

I voted yes, that clubs are becoming a thing of the past. It is a tragedy in my opinion, too.

Comment

Yes, I do. PM for info.

Comment

I know of the "Underwood Club" near exit 30 of I-87. This is a private club.
                            I also visited a camp back in the early 1980's at a club that I was told was "blood relation only" just northwest of Minerva off 28N on the way to Newcomb. It was on the right-hand side (eastern) of the road.
                            Also, years ago, I visited a private club in the vicinity of Wolf Pond near Tupper Lake, and another one called the "Rockefeller Club" on a back road near Paul Smiths.
                            There are many, many, more private camps/clubs in the ADK's.
                            Catch the fleeting sense of Being, before the mind starts chattering. The riches of life are stored here and flow through all beauty.

www.frederickwarner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Adirondack Composer View Post
                              I know of the "Underwood Club" near exit 30 of I-87. This is a private club.
                              I also visited a camp back in the early 1980's at a club that I was told was "blood relation only" just northwest of Minerva off 28N on the way to Newcomb. It was on the right-hand side (eastern) of the road.
                              Also, years ago, I visited a private club in the vicinity of Wolf Pond near Tupper Lake, and another one called the "Rockefeller Club" on a back road near Paul Smiths.
                              There are many, many, more private camps/clubs in the ADK's.
                              Many thanks for the additional info! Very interesting stuff!
                              Yo Rondeau!
                              (Polish phrase said after every hike meaning "nice driveway" regarding the path just taken)
                              http://www.eastwesthike.com

Comment

Working...
                              X