X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADKHUNTER View Post
    Chardonnay with steak? Ouch!

Ed
    I'm no slave to silly French rules...go with what you like!!
    “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Scott, ever since you introduced me to the fried eggs and baked beans, I eat them all the time. Even at home!
      "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
        Scott, ever since you introduced me to the fried eggs and baked beans, I eat them all the time. Even at home!
        I'm intrigued... Sounds like a strange combination.

Grandma Browns baked beans or Bush's; or homemade?
        "Buddy, I think I ate your pop tarts!"

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
          I'm intrigued... Sounds like a strange combination.

Grandma Browns baked beans or Bush's; or homemade?
          For me, it's Bush's ...nice combination of protein, carbs and fiber
          “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

And I recommend NY strip steaks, scalloped potatoes and beer for dinner the night before. Most think of meals in isolation. I like to think about them in series.
            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

NY Strip, Grilled asparagus (Unless fiddleheads are in season) and a sauteed summer or pattypan sauce.
              "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
                NY Strip, Grilled asparagus (Unless fiddleheads are in season) and a sauteed summer or pattypan sauce.
                Yum but I like the ribeyes better..
                Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Lobster sushi( just chop up those tails, while alive of course),cucumber ginger salad,simple hand rolls, ah a Japanese thought, in season, the summer, with lobsters at an all time low.....in a cooler in the truck....
                  Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                  Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Mountain Pies are great. You can use all different types of fillings. Though I am not usually a big white bread person, I would recommend white for mountain pies, as opposed to wheat. Get a nice bed of coals ready and put the cookers right in the coals. Only real trick to these, is keep checking them. They burn quick if your not paying attention.

Shish-kabobs are another great one, that can be cooked on the fire, using a grill pan.
                    When car camping, we usually have egg sandwiches every morning also. My wife makes the best around. The frozen chilli idea is a good one!! We do the same thing with chilli or soup.

I have also become much more acquainted with State Campgrounds since becoming a father They can be great! My favorite yet is Rollins Pond. We like the small lakes where motor-boats aren't allowed. Everyone goes to bed sooo early, it's funny. I stay up late and listen to owls, loons, herons, piliated woodpeckers, etc, etc, etc, no joke
                    Last edited by Pollen Eater; 08-12-2012, 07:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Breakfast

Till this day, I still enjoy something I learned as a Boy Scout. A heated rock over a fire, take a slice of bread with a hole in the center. Crack an egg into the hole, fry on the rock with bacon. Hot sauce over the top and I'm in heaven!! What can I say? Oldy but goody!!
                      I Brew The Beer I Drink...

Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
                        What do you do with the fiddleheads?

Comment

Originally posted by dmynke View Post
                          Till this day, I still enjoy something I learned as a Boy Scout. A heated rock over a fire, take a slice of bread with a hole in the center. Crack an egg into the hole, fry on the rock with bacon. Hot sauce over the top and I'm in heaven!! What can I say? Oldy but goody!!
                          Reminds me of another old favorite. "Spam on a leaf" is just as it sounds. Grab a nice large maple leaf, put a slice of spam on it, and place directly on hot coals. When the edges brown, flip over on another leaf. Remove charred leaf, fold a third fresh leaf around the meat (to hold the hot spam and keep the grease off your fingers), and eat (the spam, not the leaf). The charring leaf keeps the spam from burning and cooks it beautifully.
                          Last edited by Wldrns; 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM.
                          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by timmedee View Post
                            What do you do with the fiddleheads?
                            Saute them with a touch of garlic.
                            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                            X