High Peaks Hostel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Peaks Hostel

Is the High Peaks Hostel in LP the same one that is referred to as the Hiker's Hostel? I called information for the number and there was no listing for a Hiker's Hostel.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Is the Hikers Hostel the one in Keene?
    Die Free and Live

Comment

High Peaks hostel is in Lake Placid. I wouldnt go there... More on that in a dedicated thread. The hikers hostel is in Keene, and is more comonly known as "The hostel." Of the three hostel's (dont forget jack rabbit) I will only be staying at "the hostel."

-percious
      http://www.percious.com

Comment

Percious,
        This is the one basically across from the Noonmark diner?
        Die Free and Live

Comment

Anyway, both the HP hostel and the Jackrabbit are full for this coming w/end. I'm waiting to hear from the one in Keene. If that's full I'll find a motel with a kitchenette as central as poss. to Coreys, the Whiteface toll road and the Loj. Am thinking of going to Gray )or Cliff) via the Loj and L. Arnold to avoid the drive to UW. I think its only 2 miles further RT.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by percious
            High Peaks hostel is in Lake Placid. I wouldnt go there... More on that in a dedicated thread. The hikers hostel is in Keene, and is more comonly known as "The hostel." Of the three hostel's (dont forget jack rabbit) I will only be staying at "the hostel."
            -percious
            I saw the Title of the thread ad thought this "the dedicated thread". Couldn't understand why Neil had started it!!

Looks like everyone is home from the FYAO V. I see yo've posted and Zacs on line. I'll assume Sacco made it out.

How did it go? How many were there on that one, did all 14 that were listed as positives make it? Did you guys hike out yesterday when the snow started?

Yopu can put a trip report here even though it wasn't listed here. I'm sure the members will find it interesting.....
            "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

The link to the 'dedicated thread'.

This was my first experience with trying to stay at a "hostel". I think Albany has them, but they're free and called homeless shelters.

Word of advice to anyone thinking of starting such an enterprise - if you want to make money like a Motel/Hotel, and be compensated like you were a Motel/Hotel, then open a hotel or motel! Otherwise, you're a crash pad and 50% for zero services rendered is a gift. I could eat $22 in breakfast alone.

The most important question I would ask the owner of that hostel:

"Is the potential for bad publicity and losing 2 customers (with the potential to lose even more) worth $11, $22, or $1,000?"

That's a rhetorical question.

Comment

rik-
                Yes, "the hostel" or "the hiker hostel" is across from noonmark. Good way to get your buddies out of bed is to bring back breakfast. I know from experience...

-percious

Comment

Hawk-
                  FYAO was a good trip. TT is a good group. Artex had a NOAA walky, so we knew the snow was coming Sunday evening. The decision was made Sunday morning to can the trip when news of 4-8 inches rolled in. All the booze was spent anyway, and I think people were getting tired of standing around a fire with little to do. It's too bad more people didnt join us for Pharoah, it was an impresive day to be on top. All I could think was... I want to climb that and that anad that and.... And I wasn't even looking at the HP. NYHH might be calling me... Kevin and I's bushwhack only makes me want more... Thanks again for your gracious hospitality.

[edit]
                  I thought about doing a dedicated High Peaks Hostel bashing thread, but I just put it in my trip report instead. Makes me look less like a revenge miser.
                  [edit]

-percious

Originally posted by redhawk
                  I saw the Title of the thread ad thought this "the dedicated thread". Couldn't understand why Neil had started it!!

Looks like everyone is home from the FYAO V. I see yo've posted and Zacs on line. I'll assume Sacco made it out.

How did it go? How many were there on that one, did all 14 that were listed as positives make it? Did you guys hike out yesterday when the snow started?

Yopu can put a trip report here even though it wasn't listed here. I'm sure the members will find it interesting.....

Comment

I just gotta link to this...

New audio link. **Vulgar language - PG13 warning**

There's a link to a very profane and menacing voicemessage left by the owner's wife of the Lake Placid Hostel. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off. Chris is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, and even my 60 seconds with the owner was calm, collected, and professional with no harsh words exchanged. How they get off bullying people as Chris was is beyond comprehension. You really need to hear that message to get just a taste of what he experienced Friday. I actually got sick to my stomach listening to it.

When listening remember this was over $11 for services not rendered. They actually got a 50% deposit fee and Chris WAS actually going to stay until the owner got abusive with him and threatened him.

Originally posted by percious
                    Hey guys. I managed to get my voicemail message into mp3 format. I am posting it here

**************BE WARNED**********************
                    This message contains graphic language!!! Send the kiddies to bed.
                    **************BE WARNED**********************

-percious
                    Last edited by Kevin; 08-15-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I should also note that I offered to pay kevin's other half to the guy before any arguing ensued. It's a real shame all this happened, because breakfast was good there.

-percious

Comment

They zapped my thread over on VFTT. Can't say I'm surprised.

-percious

Comment

Some places are interested in the truth, some aren't.

As long as people stick to the facts and don't make unprovable statements, then any forum worth it's salt should post it. It's all part of keeping your members informed.

I think what was said in the voice mail and how it was said is all anyone needs to know. The minute you have to resort to that language it's obvious that you neither have an argument nor the eloquence to argue it.

And as far as anyone stupid enough to leave obscenitys on voice mail, along with their name, well, slugs have higher IQ's then that. That's a federal offense.
                          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Copy of email I sent to info@highpeakshostel.com

Originally posted by Kevin
                            Hello,

My name is Kevin and I'm the gentleman who bailed Friday night. I provided the owner with a 50% deposit fee which is fair and industry standard. While it appears he was not happy, no harsh words were exchanged between us at that time (aside from him univiting me for future stays).

It has come to my attention that my hiking partner (Chris) from that day was not so fortunate.

Link to menacing voicemail that would have me calling the cops for harrassment

My involvement is two-fold. I am a witness to the original disagreement leading to this voice message and the poor treatment of Chris while leaving the hostel. I am also the administrator of the site that may end up being the target of discussion concerning Friday's events.

The reason I'm messaging you is to state some facts about conduct on our forums so that if you cross any boundaries you understand the penalties ahead of time.

We do not allow derogatory language in the posts (the audio file is acceptible because you can put a disclaimer and no one HAS to listen to it). We also try to avoid personal attacks (stuff like BMW driving **** off and other nice praise). We understand that in disagreements feelings can be hurt, but the bottom line is that becoming belligerent on the forums gets you banned and we don't want that. Now, it's not uncommon that someone with an axe to grind reregisters on the forum (if possible). In one instance the member was even given a second warning and they insisted that they were the administrator and continued to make their own rules. At that time the FBI was notified and they haven't been back since. Reregistering when formally banned from a forum or bulletin board is consider "hacking" under federal statutes and is no fun and games. Let's hope that now that I've been CLEAR about the rules there should be no reason we will ever need to bring this back up.

In addition to safe guarding our forum services, this email address (that I am sending this email from) is not to become a dumping ground for rhetorical discussion about our policies or to vent. Emails are tracked with keen focus on sendee and delivery dates. If this email address becomes abused you WILL be promptly handed over to the local and federal authorities per the same referenced laws above. This email is not to generate feedback from you, it is simply informative.

With all that being said, you're welcome to respond in any manner so long as it abides by the forum rules that you agree to when registering.

Enjoy your stay at ADK Forum and best wishes.

Kevin Heckeler
                            Founder and Asst Administrator of ADK Forum

Visit the best Adirondack Forum on the internet!

www.adkforum.com

Comment

Sorry your thread got taken over by this neil... Its pretty ironic that I had recommended High Peaks Hostel to you before this all happened.

-percious

Comment

Working...
                              X