Cheap Sleeps in the Adks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin
    Well, I'm not sold on Orbitz... and here's part of the reason why [NAUGHTY LANGUAGE WARNING]:

Neil, I've never heard anything about regulations regarding car camping.
    We've used Orbitz when Wanitowah goes to Washington State to see the kids and grandbabies.

Prices have always been good, never had a problems and all transactions were seamless.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

So people have stayed at the Woodruff? I've driven by it and always wondered about it...so it's OK? Anyone ever stay at the Ausable Inn (on the corner going to the Garden)? I know I can always camp out but I like to get a better night sleep before starting a trip....
      Pat Connors

Comment

Oops! Go to next post.
        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikerdad
          So people have stayed at the Woodruff? I've driven by it and always wondered about it...so it's OK? Anyone ever stay at the Ausable Inn (on the corner going to the Garden)? I know I can always camp out but I like to get a better night sleep before starting a trip....
          It was quite OK (the Woodruff), room had a musty odour, like an old cottage. The beds were comfortable and it was well heated on the cold night we stayed there. When we went into the office to pay and the guy came out of his personal living quarters he brought the unmistakeable odour of freshly smoked pot with him and had a somewhat disreputable appearance. This drew a chuckle as opposed to a frown from my wife and I and we stayed for 2 nights. IMHO you're better off at the Ark Trail for an extra 10 bucks though.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Neil: THAT was funny....good thing no kids with you at the time...

I remember checking in at the Jackrabbit and the attendee coming out in his bathrobe...the kids got a laugh out of the no phone inthe room also....
            Pat Connors

Comment

Bit of a thread revival/update here.
              Oldsmores mentioned the St. Moritz in Lake Placid. I highly recomend this place, however it's no longer the St. Moritz. It's under new management and called the Pines of Lake Placid. A couple in their late 30's early 40's bought it and are currently renovating it. I was never in it before, but it's very nice now. The renovated rooms are around $80, but they still have unrenovated rooms available for $60 icluding tax. That's where I stayed and it was fine. Clean room, full cable. They also have a restaurant and full bar. Didn't eat there, but it smelled good. Thanks to Katrina's remnants I decided to skip my reservations at the Loj campground.
              *************ENDLESS WINTER**************

Comment

Hi! We just rented a cabin at the Wilderness Inn II in Willmington.
                Four nights- $300. Two double beds, micro, TV, fireplace, small Frig and they let me bring Tobie ( My Golden Retriever). They have a bar and nice restaurant- which are pretty cheap. The people are really cool there. Nice to talk to.
                We're actually going back next week for four days.
                Jules of Eagle Bay

Comment

Places to stay and dogs

Yes, it looks like, there are no really chip place to stay in ADK .
                  But they are realy surviving there - all are seasonable ...

I would recommend Shamrock mote ( website is googlable ) l in Long Lake - clean quiet place, 2 KS beds,small refr. , TV ( I do not have it home ), BBQ places, beach,boat rent for 15 for per day for canoe, some territory,slope to lake seems to be a good for ski beginners -I was there only out of snow. It's within 0,5 M to South-West by R30 x R28N from that road' intersection . $65, but nobody ever has asked me how many people or dogs is going to be ( I was there ~ 4 times for last ~5 years ).
                  Maybe I was just lucky, but traveling across E.Coast, I took as a rule for motels :you rent a room - take your key and and enjoy .

I saw recently ? on another ADK forum about dogs and motels - I never even ask. Another thing, it's better stay on the edge of a town - to walk your dog in the morning.

And Hotel Saranac . I'm with Willie, but from another side-as a customer. The staff-students just really make theirs best. About humans and about dogs. I still have this " Pet in the Room . PLEASE DO NOT ENTER " . But I remember, they charge some as $30 for a dog ? Anyway it's a good and friendly place .
                  Last edited by dog; 06-06-2006, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Not sure if anyone still reads this but I'll post it anyway. Stayed at the Alpine Inn in Lake Placid Friday night (day after Thanksgiving) for $95 for three of us (the guy gave us a cot). It was about 7:30 when we got there so he probably figured his chances of getting anyone to take the room were slim but it was the opening day at whiteface, there was a big hockey tournament in town, and the smuckers stars on ice was going on. He was bargaining with one of my buddies when the other one decided his need to drop a deuce was worth more than any money we would have saved, so he said we'll take it. Nice room, the guy was cool (don't be afraid to bargain with him), and the location can't be beat if you're going to stay in a hotel (lots o' bars in the area).

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaDog
                      Cascade Inn - $50 a night.....plus an all you can eat prime rib dinner on saturday nights!

VERY OLD SCHOOL, but cheap!
                      Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I just made plans to stay at the cascade inn for a Friday night so we can get a real early start to the Loj on Saturday.

My question is this, my wife is shocked that the place is only $50 a night and was wondering what the place was like? I told her that I imagine that it is clean and has an old look to it. After saying this I got the look of, yeah it had better be! Any one have experience staying at this place?

I know I have seen multiple posts that the food is good, but wondering more about the accommodations.

Thanks!

Stimack

Comment

I stayed there several years ago ... the furniture was generally mismatched circa 1960s stuff ... but it was clean. I thought it a little noisy at night because it's so close to the highway.
                        sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

shamrock motel in long lake

They do not work winter .
                          But I forget to say in # 23 , it's a great sunset and stars views from that place. And they have small houses too .
                          There is Corner Motel in Long Lake - if you do not want to be actually thrown out 2 min before check out time , do not stay there .
                          Despite , they work all year around and no probs with dogs . $65 all . Or 60 not all .
                          Last edited by dog; 01-30-2006, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimack
                            my wife is shocked that the place is only $50 a night and was wondering what the place was like?
                            My wife and I stayed there two winters ago for two nights. Bed, TV, cramped but functional bathroom, not much else. Pretty clean, very worn. Not a place I would return to unless there were no other options, but it was better than the Jackrabbit across the street.

Comment

Cheap - Unique - And allows dogs!!

One black fly infested Memorial Day Weekend a group of six and two dogs stayed at:
                              Bombard's Rustic Cabins
                              32 Brunswick Road,
                              Saranac Lake.
                              1-800-238-0208
                              They are very secluded and mix/matched rustic. They have outhouses w/ running water inside for dishes and cooking, small gas stove for cooking. They were cozy and perfectly cheap. 50 dollars a night for the six of us! There were some great trails nearby for walking the dogs as well.

Comment

The least expensive facility in the 'dacks to sleep (camping/hut) bar none.

$5 to camp

$9 dormatory

Comment

Working...
                                X