Best places to eat in the Adirondacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places to eat in the Adirondacks

Piggy-backing off a smiliar thread (to later become part of a FAQ) we are trying to determine the best places to eat in the park.

So, I'll come back to this first post later on and update as people reply. First hand experience and a brief review or description is appreciated (since all the replies to this post are going to remain). If you have a link to their website, posting it would be helpful and saves me from having to find it (if one exists). If you have had a contrary experience at one of the previously posted recommendations, simply write a brief review of your own.

Please, do not post a recommendation for an establishment you may own or manage. Too much conflict of interest, we want this list to be as objective as possible... by members, for members.

We're looking specifically for recommendations/reviews with the following information:

Approximate price per dish

Atmosphere (bar, club, grill, diner, etc)

Specialty food(s) (if there are any)

What you've tried there

Types and rough prices of drinks

Okay, I'll get this started (cut/paste from a response in another thread)...

I've gone to the Downhill Grill several times now (on the left just as you're entering the city, near the road to Averyville, where the NPT starts). It was recommended by another frequent visitor to the adks. Typically it's not as crowded and the food/service has always been really good. Prices are very reasonable as well ($7-15 /plate). I was told they have many of the same beers the brew pub carries (I don't drink).

If they had a specialty it would be Mexican, but they offer some basic steak and chicken meals too. Try the chimichangas.

This is a sit-down, low light establishment. The service staff have always been attentive and polite. There's an adjacent bar if you want a change of pace. Maybe 10 tables, one large booth. Even when packed it's never too noisey.

Comment

The Howard Johnson's (far side of Lake Placid heading towards Saranac Lake) offers a prime-rib buffet on Saturday nights. I have also had breakfast and a few other dinners there. In all the times there I have not been disappointed, and for $12.95 the prime rib is excellent. The salad bar is hit/miss. Some days everything's fresh, others not-so. This is true of most feeder style venues, just hope you're there when it's busy and they're constantly replenishing the food. Otherwise stuff sits a bit too long, and that can make for an interesting car ride home.

Most breakfast items are $4-7, the buffet (all you can eat) I believe is $9.99, and most dinners are $10-15.

Because it's such a large restaurant you don't feel at all cramped and the wait staff has always been adequate. If you're in a bit of a hurry but you want someplace to sit and eat, I recommend this Hojo's.

Comment

Lumberjack Inn, Tupper Lake

When I'm in Tupper Lake, I stop at the Lumberjack Inn on Rt. 3. They serve breakfast all day, and it comes on a platter. You eat well for the $3-$6.00 price. I've been going there for years, and enjoy it.
        The Wilderness Photography of Gary F. Dean
        facebook photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
          The Howard Johnson's (far side of Lake Placid heading towards Saranac Lake) offers a prime-rib buffet on Saturday nights. I have also had breakfast and a few other dinners there. In all the times there I have not been disappointed, and for $12.95 the prime rib is excellent. The salad bar is hit/miss. Some days everything's fresh, others not-so. This is true of most feeder style venues, just hope you're there when it's busy and they're constantly replenishing the food. Otherwise stuff sits a bit too long, and that can make for an interesting car ride home.

Most breakfast items are $4-7, the buffet (all you can eat) I believe is $9.99, and most dinners are $10-15.

Because it's such a large restaurant you don't feel at all cramped and the wait staff has always been adequate. If you're in a bit of a hurry but you want someplace to sit and eat, I recommend this Hojo's.
          Caution on Howard Johnson's ...

steer clear of this restaurant whenever there are large groups in Lake Placid, like a CanAm hockey weekend. Because the prices are decent, and it's an easy feed for kids, that's where many families go. One morning when we were there, many of the families had "meal tickets" so I'm thinking that HoJo's is often a part of some lodging package for the hockey teams, etc.
          sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Noonmark in Keene Valley is the perennial hiking favorite. Good breakfast all the time and I think they're open late for when you're finishing a long day in the Daks. And the pies are to die for!

A little further south is Pitkins in Schroon Lake. Mom & Pop joint. Good food. Reasonable prices. Look for the specials and the corn on the cob when in season.

Really good pizza, wings and subs at a good price can be found at a hole-in-the-wall "Alpine Pizza", also in Schroon Lake. Its basically a take-out joint, with a couple of tables inside and a small patio outside. My kids loved the pizza logs. Its right across from the Tops.

Mr. Mikes Pizza in Lake Placid used to be a favorite until the prices went through the roof and the service began to stink. They do have a wicked-good spinach salad though (but it costs like $8 and is basically a side salad)

Bon appetite!

Fitz

Comment

There is a new deli in Lake Placid called Simply Gourmet that offers 46 different sandwiches named for the peaks. They range in price from the $4.50 Allen (bologna, yellow mustard and American cheese) to several at $7.50 with more upscale ingredients. They open at 11AM, so you can't get your sandwich and then eat it on top, but on your rest day you can eat what you climbed. The deli is owned by Mike Healy (46-R # 164) and his wife Holly. And yes, they have a "club" where you can register and get a t-shirt if you eat all 46.

The deli is located at the west end of Lake Placid on Saranac Avenue next to Avalanche Adventures.
              Every time that wheel turns round, bound to measure just a little more ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
                When I'm in Tupper Lake, I stop at the Lumberjack Inn on Rt. 3. They serve breakfast all day, and it comes on a platter. You eat well for the $3-$6.00 price. I've been going there for years, and enjoy it.
                Thanks for the info Gary.I used to go to The Red Barn but they closed it down,will check it out.

Comment

Thanks tgoodwin...

This might be the only way I`ll ever get all 46 High Peaks done!!!

Nothing like eating your way to the top...!!!!

We`ll be heading back up to LP in the fall...maybe my wife and I can knock a few HP sandwiches off one lunchbreak...
                  "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Yum, food

Here are a couple of my favorites:

In LP, the Carribean Cowboy is an absolute must. It has a really unique atomsphere, lots of natural wood, bright colors; it's located behind the bakery/deli in LP right across from the howard johnsons. These people run a really good business, the food is fresh and very unique, unlike anything else you'll get in the adk's. As the name suggests, they do a carribean theme, with alot of great spices, fresh fruit like mango, lots of great stuff. The sweet potato fries are great, we often get that and the chowder for an appitizer. I always get the seafood quesadilla (shrimp, crawfish, good stuff), we've also had great salmon, jerk-chicken, bourbon ribs, all sorts of stuff. Lots of drinks, nice small bar area, I'm not sure about the prices though as I don't really do mixed drinks.

Prices are probably mid-upper teens for the dinners, 10ish for the sandwiches and such (the chicken sandwiches are all great).

We also like PJ O'neil's pub and brewery, though I have to say it's not as good as it used to be. The drinks are still great (Ubu anyone? ) but the services often is so-so, and the prices have gone up too much as it has gotten more popular.

Now for some more controversial recommendations If you're going for Mexican, STAY AWAY FROM THE CASA DEL SOL. There is always a huge wait, the food isn't that great, and the prices are too high. Desperado's in LP is the place to go for Mexican in this area, the prices are better, the food is at least as good, and there is no hour long wait.

For pizza/italian, Little Italy in SL is the way to go. Nothing fancy, but the pizza is good and their dinners/specials are simple and nice.

By far the best deli in the area is the Lake View Deli (full disclosure, I worked there during high school). Great family run business, highest quality products (Boar's head brand meats, yum), great specials, very fresh food.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd stay away from the Tail of the Pup..... but that's just my opinion after all.
                    "In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold

Comment

A bit more pricey, but quality food ( the chef has been there for 15 years) and it's a brew pub also, is: The Great Adirondack Steak And Seafood Restaurant on Main St, Lake Placid....My wife and I and other family members have eaten there NUMEROUS times...Try A Haystack Blonde Ale..You'll like it!

We also always eat at The Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley...
                      "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

I second the Adirondack Steak and Seafood for the food and of course the beer ...I thought the Haystack Blonde was delicious...very crisp and refreshing after hiking around all day ......the prices are alittle high ,but, if you want a very good portion and great tasting...definitely worth a try...I had they`re Norwegian Salmon and my wife had they`re Scallops which were gigantic,she could`nt finish them...so, I helped ...my salmon was awesome also...cooked perfect ...an excellant time was had!!! Then we walked around town wearing it off and watched the sun set over Mirror Lake...

And...you can`t forget the Noonmark Diner ...always my favorite for a quick bite after hiking...try their homemade pies...they`re delicious!!!

Wb
                        "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
                          I couldn't agree more... and honestly, I can eat, but I can't finish their Lumberjack Breakfast plate.... no matter how hard I try.... that's usually a stop on Sunday on the way home.
                          How is it that you are heading west? Well, we face north and then really sudden like turn left.

Comment

Jimmys 21 on Main St Lake Placid
                            Italian, 15 per entree, very good food
                            I dont know about drinks, im only 16
                            ---------------------------------------------------

Id rather be hiking.

Comment

Casey's North on Rt. 28, just outside of North Creek is a great treat. Among the highlights are the numerous beers on tap, fantastic adirondack decor, wings, bbq chicken pizza, great soups & sandwiches and the have a beautiful deck that is dog friendly!
                              Grilled sandwiches and burgers are $7-$8 and their sweet potato fries rock. They also have a brew fest coming up in october.

Comment

Working...
                              X