No announcement yet.

Best places to eat in the Adirondacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am reluctant to tell anyone about this place because my wife and I have made it an annual tradition and the first place we take anyone visiting the Adirondacks the first time. Reservations have been getting tougher to get, but it is well worth the hour and a half drive from our camp.

It's not everyday fare for us, but we look at it as a special treat.

It's the evening dinner cruise on the WW Durant at The Raquette Lake Navigation Company (with a web site under the same name). There is a three hour, 25 mile tour, Great Camps, a lot of history from Captain Pohl. The boat is always immaculate. The first time we went I told my wife that for $50 per person and a beautiful tour, I would have been happy with rubber chicken, but their best kept secret of this best kept secret in the Adirondacks is that their son is a grad of the Culinary Institute of America. They have offered four selections, prime rib, salmon, duck and chicken. Tell them what you want when you make reservations. Each time the soup was different and really excellent, salads fresh and beautifully presented, I have had the prime rib for the last three years and they have been, without a doubt, the best three prime ribs I have ever had. They have a bar on board, but I'd have to let my wife talk about that because I only get to be the designated driver.

It's a great way to top off a visit to the Sagamore, across the road, or a day at the Adirondack Museum, a bit north,

No, I don't own stock in the place, this ain't a paid endorsement and I will pay for my own prime rib again next summer.

Comment

Paradox6, thank you for parting with this secret. It sounds like something I'd really like to do sometime. Sounds like the perfect ending to a day at the museum.

http://raquettelakenavigation.com/dining.htm
      “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

fvrwld - if you want to sell a first timer on the Adirondacks it's the place to go. Too many people, especially from down south, think about the Adirondacks as Lake Placid or Lake George, they're fine if that's what you are looking for, but this is more my speed.

Another nice place is the Carillon over in Ticonderoga. Go to the traffic circle just south of Wal-Mart, take the first exit off the circle, go out toward the golf course probably less than a mile from the circle, on the left, near the lumber yard. Entrees in the teens, pretty traditional menu, really good French onion soup, clean, good service, just one of those places you walk out of knowing you didn't pay enough for your meal.

There are so many simple pleasures in the Adirondacks. I kinda put GREAT BREAD in that category,

If you like GREAT BREAD, get to the Crown Point Bakery before 9AM. Good... no, great... place to stop if the fish aren't biting. Time really doesn't matter, just seems like everything tastes better early.

Another GREAT BREAD place is a bit more, shall we say, for the lack of a better term, eclectic... (And I know I'm really gonna hate myself for giving this one up, understand that this is two hours of solid driving, each way, from our camp, and I know the next time I go it will be sold out.) IF you go to Eagle Bay and take the right to Big Moose, maybe a mile down the road, on your left, before you leave the residential area, there is a private house, olive drab if I recall correctly, with a rustic hand-painted "fresh bread" sign by the road. The husband is a retired baker, apparently has a baker's oven in his basement, ONLY bakes on Fridays. The wife handles sales from the front door. If you like sturdy, stick-to-your-rib-kinda breads with fruits and nuts, crisp crusts, still warm, THIS IS THE PLACE. We stopped there on a lark a couple of years ago on the way to Stillwater. It's pot luck. My wife bought a loaf of whatever they had until she ran out of money. The first loaf was torn apart and gone before we got to the edge of the village. Didn't even have anything to put on it. I can still taste it, I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it. Sorry I can't describe it better, but there should be cars parked on both sides of the road (and locals standing in the driveway) when you get there. This one is worth getting someone with a GPS to go out and locate. Maybe someone with an extra kid or two will sell them off to apprentice with this family before it is too late.

I guess you can figure out what I do instead of peak bagging. It's hard work....but somebody has to do it.

Comment

I've never done the dinner cruise on the Durant but I have taken their lake cruise. Very relaxing and fun. And here's a hint: On father's day weekend (can't remember if it's just one day or both days) Sagamore gives free tours (training for the new interpreters) and the Durant boat ride is free. Couple that with a morning behind the scenes tour of the new warehouse of the Adirondack Museum (they now charge a small fee) and it's a terrific way to spend father's day. A lot of history packed into one day and all quite interesting.
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
          It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Hearty 2nd to Durant dinner cruise!!!

Only problem for us is we usually go in the fall and the last hour plus is in the dark. The lunch buffet cruise isn't bad either.
            Another great place is not far down the road, Seventh Lake House (on 7th Lake of all places). Fine dining atmosphere, linen table cloths and napkins, more silver ware than you need. Varied menu, great desserts. Appetizers, dinner, dessert and couple drinks +/- $100 for two but a superb dining delight!!!
            And then there's Frankie's in Old Forge. GOOD Italian fare at reasonable prices.

There are too many good places to eat in the 'Dacks. I could do 0ne a day for a month and just scratch the surface.
            ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Paddler
              And then there's Frankie's in Old Forge.
              Oh yes, yes, yes. But I liked it better when they first opened because then you could get a table.
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
              It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Hope Dinner

To bad the Hope Dinner is not open anymore!!

Comment

Originally posted by Devorse
                  To bad the Hope Dinner is not open anymore!!

Actually, to your luck, it is!!!

I believe its open everyday except thursday.

By far the cheapest, and best tasting dinner in America (Not just an opinion but a fact).

Has been open since last year, so enjoy it while the food's hot.
                  I cherish the outdoors. Its the adventure, the unknown, and the call of the wild that gives me its thrill, passion, and deepest respect.

Comment

Fantastic - "Eat and Greet" in Saranac Lake. All food prepared on-site and with an emphasis on locally sourced ingredients. Good prices. I'll be stopping whenever I drive through the area.

A good idea for a sticky - on previous trips I have tried to find a decent site for online reviews of restaurants in the area, but generally came across only advertisement driven reviews/listings.

Comment

Ate at the Hope Dinner on Thursday! Was great to "catch up" with the grand daughter of the original owners. Same as it always was!

Comment

Originally posted by Devorse
                        Ate at the Hope Dinner on Thursday! Was great to "catch up" with the grand daughter of the original owners. Same as it always was!

The hope dinner just seems to cast a positive spell on us all. I'm glad you have rekindled that relationship. (Laugh out loud)
                        I cherish the outdoors. Its the adventure, the unknown, and the call of the wild that gives me its thrill, passion, and deepest respect.

Comment

Originally posted by southernadkhiker

The hope dinner just seems to cast a positive spell on us all. I'm glad you have rekindled that relationship. (Laugh out loud)
                          OK, so where IS the Hope Dinner?

Comment

Up rt 30 in hope, ny

Comment

La Bella Ristorante

La Bella Ristorante, 175 Lake Flower Ave., Saranc Lake, NY // next door to Pizza Hut.

We ate there last Thursday night, I was impressed with the quality of the food and the service. Last time I was in the area my son won out and we had to go to pizza hut (yuk), this time I won . . .

Approximate price per dish = $15 - $25 entree

Atmosphere (bar, club, grill, diner, etc) = bar that you can eat in, formal dining as well

Specialty food(s) (if there are any) = Various italian

What you've tried there = Chicken something. (I am drawing a blank, I know it had mushrooms)

Types and rough prices of drinks = Full bar. Standard prices

If you are passing through and are looking for a great meal at affordable pices I would recommend stopping in. I think they also have pizza if you have kids along, if not, leave the kids at PH next door and take the wife to La Bella. I'd rate it a 4.5 on a scale of 1 to 5.

'Ev
                              "The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker

Comment

Breakfast in Lake George Village

Our new favorite breakfast place...

"Caffe Vero
                                185 Canada Street
                                Lake George, NY 12845
                                Phone:518-668-5800
                                A true coffee experience straight from the streets of Italy. Come enjoy coffee many consider the best in the world, including Emeril Lagasse. Prepare to be blown away by the ambiance and decor often found in the world's finest cafes. Seating for 30 including a real wood granite fireplace and venetian plaster walls. Serving fine breakfast from 7am to 2pm. Open late."

They serve High Peaks Java (roasted in Glens Falls) and the best blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup that we have had in some time.

Pat T

Comment

Working...
                                X