No announcement yet.

Best places to eat in the Adirondacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wilderness Inn in Wilmington usually has pretty good food. (Shrimp Scampi) (steak with the chefs special sauce)

The Smoked Pepper in downtown Plattsburgh has really good Mexican food, especially the chicken tortilla soup.

The Melody Lodge in Speculator has turned into a decent little restaurant. I remember going there when it was mostly a bar.

Lake View on the Sacandaga also has some pretty good food. If your on a boat and decide to dock it, being that the bar is at the top of the hill, they will pick you up in an ATV pulling a trailer with seats on it.

Bolton Landing in Lake George has some really good Restaurants also. I spent 4 days there when I was camping out on the Islands.

I am surprised I'm not 300 freaking pounds!
    Last edited by Rock; 04-20-2007, 06:28 PM.
    "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

Originally posted by Keithk View Post

Oh, and if I were you, I'd stay away from the Tail of the Pup..... but that's just my opinion after all.
      I agree. We've eaten at Tail Of The Pup twice, the food was nothing to write home about and the second time we ate there the service was bad.

The only meal I've eaten at The Lumberjack Inn in Tupper Lake is breakfast and it's always been really good and not expensive at all.

The Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood restaurant in Lake Placid is a favorite of ours.

I'm not sure if it's in the park or not, it might be just inside of the park but the Pine Tree Inn in Brantingham is our favorite place. They have a dining room and a seperate bar area. The dinners are reasonable, $11-$18 or so. They serve good sandwiches too. The Jack Daniels Steak is my favorite. The home made tortilla chips with the spinach artichoke dip is great too. We always leave there stuffed.

We have yet to try Frankies in Old Forge but have always heard really good things about it.

Comment

I've eaten several times at Tail of the pup and have never been disappointed with the food or the service.
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I'll have to put a bid in for the Swiss Diner on Main Street in downtown Tupper Lake. It offers plenty of good home style food and cheerful servers. Just what you need after a long trip in the woods or on the water... or a last filling meal before heading on out.
          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Stopped at Tail of the Pup two summers ago and my wife and I had their barbeque, which was actually quite good and would give a lot of the places we used to eat at in Texas a real run for their money.
            Last summer we had been driving around all day and had made it a point that we were going to stop there again for dinner. We were met by a young lady, who took our orders for combination plates and soft drinks, brought us our drinks and we never saw her again for the next 45 minutes, actually watching several other parties getting seated, served, eating and leaving in that same timeframe. My wife and I are pretty patient and not inclined to look for a confrontation, but she eventually reappeared, apologized copiously without any real explanation, seemed to be genuinely embarrassed and promised our meals in 15 minutes. I sensed she was very new, nervous and language was a problem, but we were tired and hungry, most of our time to eat had been dissipated and the opportunities to find a meal elsewheres limited, so we waited. After another 35 minutes we put down the price of our drinks and quietly left. We got a good laugh a few months later when the young lady appeared in Adirondack Life. I can remember my first few of days working as waitstaff in a restaurant, as a kid in my first job, and I really can't fault the young lady. Been there. Nobody, but nobody was watching the store. Nobody was watching the dining area or the waitstaff and I did not even see anyone to even talk to if I was so inclined.

So went went to Keene and stopped in another establishment, sat at a table in the side dining room, there was only one other party there, and waited another 30 minutes while the cook and three waitresses were joking around at the counter which was in direct view of the table we were sitting at and we had to walk right past them when we walked in, and out, without so much as anyone even acknowledging we were there. So it was two subs for $7 at Stewart's that night. No matter which store we go into, they at least always seem to appreciate your business.

Comment

We ate at the tail of the pup a couple of times. Once the service was good and the other time we must have had the same girl. She could hardly speak English. I think she was Oriental or something?

The ribs were good both times and we liked the waffle fries. I liked all the different sauces that they offered and the corn on the cob was good.

Then again, when I am hungry I would probably eat anything.

I had some good wings at the Sportsman's Inn in Wilmington.

Comment

Places to Eat

The Ausable Inn in Keene Valley has become a place I like to stop and eat. They also have some nice beers.

Comment

Tortilla soup

Went to the Smoked Pepper the other day in P-burgh and was disappointed in the Tortilla Soup.

The bowl turned into a cup for the same price and there was less Tortilla's in it.

You move away for a little while and all hell brakes loose

Comment

[QUOTE=Ugly moose;64571]We ate at the tail of the pup a couple of times. Once the service was good and the other time we must have had the same girl. She could hardly speak English. I think she was Oriental or something?

Or maybe she was ASIAN ?
                    The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Comment

Regardless of what her race is, I didn’t mean that in a rude way. Although she could not speak good English, I thought she was doing her best and I give her a lot of credit.
                      Last edited by Rock; 04-24-2007, 09:10 PM.

Comment

ASIAN is a race not a nationallity , and you are right , it should not matter.
                        The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know why I put nationality, I do know the difference. You would think 18 years of school would have taught me something!

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly moose View Post
                            Went to the Smoked Pepper the other day in P-burgh and was disappointed in the Tortilla Soup.

The bowl turned into a cup for the same price and there was less Tortilla's in it.

You move away for a little while and all hell brakes loose
                            The smoked pepper had a change of owners recently, possibly it was over the summer or last year. The Adirondack Soup Company has excellent soup and sandwiches but they have wierd hours.
                            "It's not where your from, it's where your at."

Comment

It was still pretty good but not as good as it use to be. I also think it depends on who is cooking.

Comment

Adirondack Hotel?

Every time I drive through Long Lake on my way to the High Peaks, I always notice that the Adirondack Hotel has quite a full parking lot. There is something about that little isthmus that makes me want to stop.

So, is the food good and worth the price? If so, I'll drag my wife up there sometime.

Jason Feulner
                                Once you've hiked the mighty wilds of Delaware, you'll never be the same--if you survive, that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X