No announcement yet.

Best places to eat in the Adirondacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in Febuary we ate at the Alpine Cellar located in the Alpine Inn on route 86 as you head out of Lake Placid towards Wilmington. Its a German resturant. The food was excellent. They had several imported german beers on tap...the hefeweizen I had was so good. The service was excellent. The waitress with the german accent was a nice touch. I will definately be going back.
    “One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” ~ Aldo Leopold

Comment

Every time I drive through Long Lake on my way to the High Peaks, I always notice that the Adirondack Hotel has quite a full parking lot. There is something about that little isthmus that makes me want to stop.
      I ate there a few years ago with my father, It was pretty good from what I can remember. There is a small gift shop in there. I think they had good bread or rolls.
      "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

How about the A&W just outside of Lake Placid. I'm still not fully recovered!!
        My other home is http://www.adksportsman.com/

Comment

If you happen to be in Long lake, the little stand across the street from Hoss's on Route 30 serves an order of supreme nacho's that can't be beat. One order will serve two people easily.

Take cash, because they don't accept credit cards.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Is that A & W in Wilmington still open? I use to love that place when i was a kid.
            "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

Big Wally's. (R.I.P)
              NYSB: NYSkiBlog.com

Comment

Adirondack Cafe -Pottersville exit 26

There is a fairly new little resturant in Pottersville, exit 26 easy to find coming North or South. Owner/chef Tony is from the south and has an excellent eclectic mix on the menu. The cloe's fries are a must!

Comment

Restaurant business

Having been in the restaurant business for 30 years, I can tell you a few things about help, the Dacks are remote, jobs are seasonal, very hard to keep
                  decent staff despite paying them well. At The Sagamore, they need 800 staff by Memorial day, they got around 475, the rest is being shipped in as we speak from many Countries, Lake Georges, lots of Eastern Europeen waiting tables, and then there ar the Students summer jobs, after august first they pretty much had it with full time employement. 50% of new restaurants close within 2 Years, the business is tough, no wimps allowed.. only during the summer crunch!! if the parking lot is full its an indication that the food is plentifull, reasonable, not necessarily good, could be the only place for miles, gotta eat etc. Great food can be had in a lot of places, word usually gets around fast.
                  Almost forgot, most of todays young jobbers think showing up on time is all that is required... its today's malaise, work ethic is disappearing like the honey bees!

Cant find a spellcheck in these parts... English is a second language for me !!
                  Sorry about that.
                  V'la l'bon vent v'la l'joli vent
                  C'est l'aviron que nous mëne en haut

Comment

Not a single mention of The Sacandaga Charcoal Pit, may it rest in peace. I'll always remember the smell and sound of chicken, pork and beef being seared on the open grills.

How is the Log Jam Restaurant in Lake George?

Comment

Roland said .....

....its today's malaise, work ethic is disappearing like the honey bees!.....

I second that....you get them to show up on time ? Bravo !

I swear, if a person could just show up and act like they gave a hoot, they could have a good career in many places...even without a big pile of "education".
                      What it is is in your head !

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                        Roland said .....

....its today's malaise, work ethic is disappearing like the honey bees!.....

I second that....you get them to show up on time ? Bravo !

I swear, if a person could just show up and act like they gave a hoot, they could have a good career in many places...even without a big pile of "education".
                        I ran kitchens for most of my civilian life. The help today spends more time telling me how I should make the job easier for them, then they do what they're getting paid for.

Everything is fast, microwaves, prepared stuff. Prep cook is a lost occupation as is a line cook. Today instead of learning how to chop, cube, dice, mince, they onl need to know how to defrost and time.

Come to think of it, the same holds true for home cooking....

I guess a big seller today would be "The Joy of Microwaving"

Hawk
                        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Does anyone know where there are good places in the small town of Long Lake and possibly a bar too

Comment

Adirondak Hotel-bar,cafe,and resturant
                            Blarney Stone-bar and resturant
                            Long Lake Dinner(i think they changed the name,again)
                            Hoss's Snack bar thingy, dogs and icecream
                            Custards Last Stand-icecream
                            Northern Borne Grocery-sandwitches to order togo
                            Stewarts

did i miss anything?
                            bonapetite

Long View hotel- used to have food but its been awile since i was there.
                            Last edited by chairrock; 05-12-2007, 09:13 AM. Reason: addedmore
                            Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                            Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

When I get on my peoples cases I call them heaters, not cooks, they just heat stuff!! ( they dont like that analogy) anyhow, the Log Jam is a great place to eat.
                              V'la l'bon vent v'la l'joli vent
                              C'est l'aviron que nous mëne en haut

Comment

I guess the Buffalo Head in Forestport is just outside the park. Not as great a steak house as it was years ago , but , not bad , and has been there a while.
                                Garmones nearby is great for a little pasta and sauce .

Phil
                                Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Working...
                                X