Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite car camping location in the dacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping near Dix

I'm doing trail work with the 46rs June 9th on Dix.

I'm not familiar with that area and would like to camp the two nights of 6/8 & 6/9. We have to meet at the old Frontiertown parking lot at 7:15 am on the 9th. I hoping someone could recomend a car camping spot or campsite real close to the road in that general area that I could use.

Thanks in advance.

Little Rickie
    Let there be peace on earth and good will toward all.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by Little Rickie View Post
      I'm doing trail work with the 46rs June 9th on Dix.

I'm not familiar with that area and would like to camp the two nights of 6/8 & 6/9. We have to meet at the old Frontiertown parking lot at 7:15 am on the 9th. I hoping someone could recomend a car camping spot or campsite real close to the road in that general area that I could use.

Thanks in advance.

Little Rickie
      Sharp Bridge DEC campground is pretty close to Frontiertown ... it's on Rt 9
      sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Its not open to the publc, but the Alumni Campground at PSC is my fav...

Lean-To's quiet nights, lake front few neighbors and an easy walk from the car with all my wifes "stuff"

Comment

Taylor Pond
          "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

Cedar River Flow , after labor day even better.
            The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Comment

definately

definitely Putts.
              Last edited by Harvey44; 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM. Reason: bad spelling
              NYSB: NYSkiBlog.com

Comment

Ausable Point is pretty nice if you get one of the sites right on Lake Champlain.

Second Taylor Pond, if they banned generators it would be even nicer. Plus, you can also reserve a 'remote' lean-to which is paddle access only.
                Adirondack Base Camp
                Adirondack Trailhead

Comment

Rollins Pond for me! you can't beat the access to the Fish creek, Floodwood, Middle pond, Polliwog pond, etc...
                  It only hurts for the first 100 paddle strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRegion View Post
                    Second Taylor Pond, if they banned generators it would be even nicer. Plus, you can also reserve a 'remote' lean-to which is paddle access only.
                    Your right about the generators!
                    The last time I was there, there was this couple with a large camper that had a generator from hell! This thing could have lit up Plattsburgh!

He even had it running during the day. I think his wife was watching TV or something because she only came out once or twice.

I was going to sneak over there and steal the spark plug.
                    That campground is way too small for generators.
                    "Always drink upstream from the herd."

Comment

Originally posted by AdRegion View Post
                      Ausable Point is pretty nice if you get one of the sites right on Lake Champlain.

The outer sites are the best, agreed. The photo, not a great one, is an indication of the weather we had at Taylor Pond but that type of day has its own quality.
                      A bald eagle was sitting in a shoreline tree shortly after this photo was taken and flew right in front of me.
                      Was amazed at the size of the leeches! Went swimming but was on guard!
                      Attached Files
                      Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring
                      comes and the grass grows by itself.

Zen Proverb

Comment

Nice camping spot

Lake Eaton is a jewel in the ADKs. The pic to the left was taken near the beach at Lake Eaton. Campsite 56.
                        You don't stop hiking because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hiking.

Comment

Originally posted by eghaley View Post
                          Lake Eaton is a jewel in the ADKs. The pic to the left was taken near the beach at Lake Eaton. Campsite 56.

Here`s one at the beach, taken with my old Pentax 35 mm film. Owl`s head mountain looks as tho` it was placed there for the lake.
                          Attached Files
                          Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring
                          comes and the grass grows by itself.

Zen Proverb

Comment

DippiKill

You have to be a SUNY Albany faculty, alumni, or current student (over 21 I think) to reserve a cabin there. Cabins are out and away from the caretaker's lodge and cars are not permitted to drive up to them, so all gear must be carried in on your back, a wheeled cart, etc. Large parties\keg parties are not permitted. Has a real nice pond and hiking trails nearby. Stays pretty quiet and its not too bad of a haul up from Albany region to Warrensburg area. Hudson Gorge, North Creek nearby. Can camp there in winter too - fireplace or woodstoves in cabins, gas lamps in some, etc.
                            Rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Comment

Pollywog pond

Pollywog pond off the floodwood road has side by side sites with drive in accessibility, remoteness, beach access and easy access to pond hop. great spot.
                              How lovely is your dwelling place O Lord.
                              Better is one day in your house than a thousand elsewhere.

Comment

20 hours at Rollins Pond

We just finished our two week trip to the Adirondacks, and wanted to wrap up the last few days campground camping. After some peak bagging. traveling with friends and family and a side trip to Vermont we wanted a couple of days for the two of us to just to chill out, check out wildlife etc. We decided to try Rollins Pond this year .
                                We can definitely see why many people like it....if you are with a group it's easy to get lots of sites close together so you feel like you are on one big site, there are paved roads that make it fun for family bike riding, there is even an ice cream truck!!! The other campers were friendly, and there was no rowdy yahoo noise at night. It wasn't for us though. Everyone mentions how it is a pain to drive through Fish Creek Campground to get to Rollins...well, we realized it was also going to be a big pain to get in and out of the campground every time. We like to use state campgrounds as a base for dayhikes and other adventures, and the slow painstaking drive in and out of Fish Creek had us feeling a bit trapped. Our site needed some maintenance too...lots of ruts and sharp rocks in the narrow driveway in and out....so long story short, we cut out after 20 hours and headed for Lake Harris....we had a lovely time. No offense intended to anyone who likes Rollins. Just wanted to share our perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X