Sleeping in the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping in the car

Would I break any laws if I get to a trailhead (Loj is the one I have in mind now) late in the evening, pay the parking fee, park the car and sleep in it to hit the trail early in the morning?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Yan
    Would I break any laws if I get to a trailhead (Loj is the one I have in mind now) late in the evening, pay the parking fee, park the car and sleep in it to hit the trail early in the morning?
    None that I'm aware of. You just can't sleep along roadways or highways.

Many people sleep in their cars at trailheads. I'm not entirely sure if the ADK Club has rules prohibiting this, but I've seen people sleeping in their cars at the loj.

Comment

The last car I was able to sleep in was my 1971 VW Transporter.

Likely the ADK Club might officially discourage the practice, but I too have seen many crawl out of their cars at many trailheads including the Loj.

I just got the official word from NYS Police on the issue of sleeping on roadways and highways. First, on the highway, if you must sleep, do it at a rest area. On roadways, they were less clear. Seems like unless it is specifically posted "no overnight parking" or you are trespassing, sleeping in the car is OK. They seemed to think that most of our public trailheads would be OK unless you were doing something suspicious or someone reported you. In that case, "a trooper would likely check the subject".
      Adirondack Base Camp
      Adirondack Trailhead

Comment

Originally posted by AdRegion
        The last car I was able to sleep in was my 1971 VW Transporter.

Likely the ADK Club might officially discourage the practice, but I too have seen many crawl out of their cars at many trailheads including the Loj.

I just got the official word from NYS Police on the issue of sleeping on roadways and highways. First, on the highway, if you must sleep, do it at a rest area. On roadways, they were less clear. Seems like unless it is specifically posted "no overnight parking" or you are trespassing, sleeping in the car is OK. They seemed to think that most of our public trailheads would be OK unless you were doing something suspicious or someone reported you. In that case, "a trooper would likely check the subject".
        I am planning to sleep in a minivan with all the seats but the front two removed - plenty of space

What is the difference between "highway" and "roadway"?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yan
          What is the difference between "highway" and "roadway"?

Thanks.
          I'd say number of lanes and/or speed of travel on the road. 87 is a highway, route 74 is a roadway.

Comment

Thread resurrection!

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            You just can't sleep along roadways or highways.

Many people sleep in their cars at trailheads. I'm not entirely sure if the ADK Club has rules prohibiting this, but I've seen people sleeping in their cars at the loj.
            What if the TH is on a roadway? For example: Cascade? (not that I would, too loud ). How about Roostercomb? Ampersand? Would the slumberer be awoken to red flashing lights and a tap on the window telling me to move my jalopy?
            Sometimes I think better with my head in the clouds...

Comment

My understanding is that it is against DEC regulations to sleep at TH's in one's vehicle and that you may be ticketed. I have never checked this out officially with the DEC but whenever someone mentions sleeping in their car at a TH in a trip report on ADKHighpeaks I ask them to edit their report.

The only reason why this would be illegal seems to me to be due to what most of us have to do first thing in the morning. I know, many of the parking areas have privies. Something to look into.....not the privies, the regs.
              The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                My understanding is that it is against DEC regulations to sleep at TH's in one's vehicle and that you may be ticketed. I have never checked this out officially with the DEC but whenever someone mentions sleeping in their car at a TH in a trip report on ADKHighpeaks I ask them to edit their report.

The only reason why this would be illegal seems to me to be due to what most of us have to do first thing in the morning. I know, many of the parking areas have privies. Something to look into.....not the privies, the regs.
                I'd be interested in the regs. I slept at the trailhead at Upper Works last year and a ranger came by in the morning and carried on a conversation with, even asking how the night went.

So it it was illegal, he never said a thing to me.

hawk
                "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
                  I'd be interested in the regs.
                  I looked here but found nothing related to sleeping in vehicles. I am wondering if that one ever occured to them...

This could be the kind of question where if you ask they have to say no.

Comment

I looked here but found nothing related to sleeping in vehicles. I am wondering if that one ever occured to them...

Might also depend on who owned the property. I'm sure this would be discouraged at Elk Lake.
                    Die Free and Live

Comment

Originally posted by Rik View Post
                      Might also depend on who owned the property. I'm sure this would be discouraged at Elk Lake.
                      I was thinking of state land. Coreys road summer TH (not the pullouts), Santanoni parking area, Averyville PA. Would not DEC regs supercede PP rules? ie. even if the AMR said it was OK to car crash on their property but the DEC regs said otherwise then the DEC regs would rule. OTOH if the DEC regs said it was OK and Elk Lake said no then Elk Lake's no would be the rule and Elk Lake would have to enforce it.

Comment

I was thinking of state land. Coreys road summer TH (not the pullouts), Santanoni parking area, Averyville PA. Would not DEC regs supercede PP rules? ie. even if the AMR said it was OK to car crash on their property but the DEC regs said otherwise then the DEC regs would rule. OTOH if the DEC regs said it was OK and Elk Lake said no then Elk Lake's no would be the rule and Elk Lake would have to enforce it.
                        I'm not so sure. I would think DEC regs would cover state land. Certainly a private property owner can decide who parks on their property, no? And yes I think it would be up to the property owner to enforce their rules.
                        Die Free and Live

Comment

If it is not addressed by the DEC, then it is likely a variable of local town laws, enforceable by small town police and local judges. I'll check with 'Berg (DEC) next weekend.
                          "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

The LOJ (and property) is owned by ADK and technically private property despite the fact that it is specifically set for backcountry recreation. I'm certain that it is them that set-up the parameters for what is and is not allowed in the lots there.

While I do not know specifically (never considered sleeping there), I would assume that since the LOJ property (a large part of the operation anyway) is dedicated to "for pay" lodging purposes, such as the LOJ itself or campground, that it would not be permitted (or at least ethical) to use the lot for "free car-camping".

You could call to ask them, but I would doubt they'd say yes. How else would they make money on campsites if people regularly camped in the lot. I'm sure it is done though. OTOH if I needed to car-camp (or even tent) in the vicinity of the LOJ, I (and most people I know) would head over to South Meadow (which is only a couple miles away). It not only free, but basically set up for that exact purpose.
                            "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger. " Supreme Chancellor

Comment

Also be careful of having any" open containers" in the car. Even if you are sleeping, resting, or not planning on driving at all, it is still illeagal and you can be hassled.
                              Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                              Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Working...
                              X