Thought I'd share my jerky recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by what'sinaname View Post
    Actually, the oven works well enough, but you don't get the smokey flavour. The only problem I had was the recipe when I made my jerky last year, but can't blame the oven on that! Also works well for drying fruit, veggies, meat if you don't have a dehydrator.
    There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". It comes in a little glass bottle the size baking extracts come in. There are a few brands that I have seen. I have used it in chili and such. It is very strong so use sparingly.Here is a link to amazon that has it.

Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
    Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
      There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". It comes in a little glass bottle the size baking extracts come in. There are a few brands that I have seen. I have used it in chili and such. It is very strong so use sparingly.Here is a link to amazon that has it.
      Sparingly is the word. I put too much of that stuff in my jerky one time and burped liquid smoke taste for two days

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
        There is an item on the grocery store called "Liquid Smoke". . It is very strong so use sparingly.
        I like to use this occassionally but must stress the "sparingly". Like the old Brylcreme commercial used to say... "a little dab'l doyah."
        ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

Make sure if you use liquid smoke you put the cap on tight. If you don't and it spills....OMG what a mess!
          WARNING!!!! Don't overtighten the top or you will split it.
          I'll post my jerky recipe in a bit or as soon as I find it here....LMBO
          I'll be trying your recipes shortly. I'm looking forward to them.
          "Every piece of venison I eat reminds me of my forefathers and the joy the whitetail brought to them"
          -- Adkhunter
          Adkhunter Reflective Arrow Wraps
          Rockclimbing.com NY Route Editor

Comment

A friend of mine uses L.S. I've tried it and it'll pass but nothing like real smoke. I've offered the use of my smoker but ... oh well. Personally, I'll stick with the Real McCoy. ;-D A nice pecan, apple, or even cherry works well. We don't care for the mesquite though, for anything.

I have a theory that the folks down south just put a good sales gimmick together to get rid of that stuff on us unsuspecting "Yankees" and make some $ off of what they didn't want anyhow.. Most of them don't even use it.
            Steve

Comment

I know about the liquid smoke. Didn't like the taste much. Maybe too much...

Besides, if I can't pronounce the ingredient, don't what more than half the ingredients are (and I read science evaluation reports for a living) or have read the reports, I don't always want to eat it!

Comment

You can make your own liquid smoke. It's pretty easy.

Here's a description of the process used by Alton Brown from Good Eats(I love that show!)

-Rob

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Comment

I would rather soak my socks in a swamp
                  and smoke them properly,
                  before I put Liquid Smoke in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by serotonin View Post
                    I would rather soak my socks in a swamp
                    and smoke them properly,
                    before I put Liquid Smoke in my mouth.
                    I can see from your photo that it's greatly helped your disposition......
                    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Just tired of seeing the post about the kennel for the dog, and a Jerky recipe looked like a good diversion...
                      Though we rush ahead
                      To save our time
                      We are only what we feel.

Neil Young

Comment

yum

You're making me hungry!

thanks for sharing your recipe.

I use basically the same ingredients except I add a few drops of liquid smoke.
                        YUM!

For jerky fans,you also cannot beat Oscar's Smokehouse in Warrensburg, I a, drooling just thinking about it.
                        The best things in life, are not things.

Comment

Working...
                        X