No announcement yet.

Saranac Lake Island Campgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I was on Lower Saranac site #22 last year. It is just one campsite on an island. The island is a hump, with a nice open site and fireplace on top. The "bathroom" facilities are nice, because it is not the usual outhouse. The state has placed a large "Johnny-on-the-Spot" type of fiberglass enclosure at the lake shore. It features a holding tank as opposed to just a hole in the ground. It (the entire campsite) is quite nice.
    "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Comment

Saranac's Pope Island has two sites. The island is long, one site at each end so still very private. My family stayed at #25 several times over the years, very spacious ... room for several tents and/or dining canopies, etc. The dog absolutely loved being able to run, but she didn't care for the canoe

Used to be first come first served, but the last time we went there after a long hiatus we discovered to our dismay that a reservation system had been implemented and the entire campground was booked. First time ever that we were unable to just paddle out to the island and set up camp.
      Scooting here and there
      Through the woods and up the peaks
      Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Thank you very very much for the information. I look forward to the trip very much. It will be the first trip to Saranac Lake. For a dog and family, island camping is the best!

Comment

Refreshing an old one here... Does anyone know if these islands have enough wood to find/burn? If not, are there places near by where we could buy wood?

Comment

Wood

When I used to go to Indian Lake Islands the sites were always stripped of burnable wood. Part of the daily routine was to go out in the canoe, hit the mainland and search for wood.

Comment

There are places all over in Indian Lake and Speculator that sell wood. It can be a pain to get it to the island if youre in a canoe. In a motor boat, not as much of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by richard p View Post
                When I used to go to Indian Lake Islands the sites were always stripped of burnable wood. Part of the daily routine was to go out in the canoe, hit the mainland and search for wood.
                We're canoeing so this is probably the best idea.

Originally posted by dharter View Post
                There are places all over in Indian Lake and Speculator that sell wood. It can be a pain to get it to the island if youre in a canoe. In a motor boat, not as much of a problem.
                bit of a pain it is! Although it looks like Indian Lake and Speculator are an hour plus south of Saranac Lake, by car.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I believe the question concerned firewood available for purchase near Lower Saranac Lake. Never looked (I use a stove), but you can buy wood near Fish Creek campground, and probably in the Tupper Lake area. I have seen multiple campsites on Mid-Saranac Lake stocked with piles of wood, presumably by DEC, but I don't know why they would do that.
                  "Like" my FB page http://tinyurl.com/FB-BuffaloPaddles and visit my map ALGonquin Bob's "BUFFALO PADDLES" Paddle Guide

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
                    I believe the question concerned firewood available for purchase near Lower Saranac Lake. Never looked (I use a stove), but you can buy wood near Fish Creek campground, and probably in the Tupper Lake area. I have seen multiple campsites on Mid-Saranac Lake stocked with piles of wood, presumably by DEC, but I don't know why they would do that.
                    Tonawanda! I'm in South Buffalo. Anyways, maybe we'll buy a bushel or two for reserves, but I'll probably try to find wood on the main land near the islands.

I was just confused why the one person pointed out towns 1-2 hours away...

Comment

Originally posted by BrahmaBull View Post
                      Anyways, maybe we'll buy a bushel or two for reserves, but I'll probably try to find wood on the main land near the islands.

A very good point... read today's report on illegally transporting firewood in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise.

The DEC is serious about this (click).
                      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by BrahmaBull View Post
                        Because somebody made a comparison between island camping on Lower Saranac vs. Indian Lake.

BrahmaBull - Hey, some friends and I are paddling from Erie Basin Marina to Tonawanda on Monday, via the Niagara River under the Peace Bridge in what we call "Down the Middle" in the fast swirling water. You're invited! Afterward, we take a long break on the beach at Strawberry Island; eat, drink, and maybe a little swimming.

46er #5357W

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                          A very good point... read today's report on illegally transporting firewood in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise.

The DEC is serious about this (click).
                          Yeah, I'm well aware of the regulations. I plan to buy within 50 miles, and find the rest within 5 miles.

Comment

Does anyone know if these island sites are marked?

Comment

Yes they are numbered and they also charge you by the night at least last October they still did. Need to sign up off Rt 3.

Comment

Thanks. We have reservations already, just wanted to know if sites are marked.

Comment

Working...
                                X