Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
binsel

Family friendly campgrounds and other options?

Hi All,

We are planning a trip to Adirondacks, preferably Lake Placid area, this weekend. We want to hike and bike if the weather permits.
I called the visitor center and was told that there are still many mosquitos in the park. We like car camping with our 3 kids (under 5 year-old) but when there are many mosquitos and it's rainy, it's not much fun.

Is there any family friendly places to camp, hike and bike? where there are less mosquitos (we dont apply DEET on kids). We might even consider other accomodation options.

Thanks,

Burhan Insel
Toronto

Last edited by binsel; 07-29-2009 at 05:47 PM..
binsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

If you want to camp in the outdoors in the late-spring or summer time, bugs are going to be inevitable. This is not limited to just the park; You run into them everywhere.

There are some towns that use techniques/chemicals to keep them down but I am not sure which towns still practice that.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
uberTurtle
Ruffian

Singapore.

But seriously, bugs are a fact of life until we get a good frost. If you want no bugs and can hold off your trip, the last couple of weeks of September are usually pretty bug free with decent temperatures.

There are other alternatives to DEET - no, not the Skin-So-Soft - such as Repel's Lemon-Eucalyptus Spray. We just tried it a few weeks ago and found it to be pretty effective. Then again, the third eye I've grown from all the DEET exposure DOES help with the night vision......

Other alternatives might be to get a hotel room in Lake Placid (I highly recommend the Golden Arrow - they have a nice pool and beach) to keep the young ones from getting eaten alive and happy. You could then hit some easy hikes, such as to Marcy Dam, Mount Jo or Owl's Head without having them out all day. If the kids have a little endurance a hike out to Rocky Falls gives them a great spot to play in the water. Bring some dry clothes and some sandals for being in the water (the rocks are kind of tough on the feet). Last time we were there, my girls (then 16, 14 and 8) hiked out with wet shoes - but they are old enough to make that choice and live with it.

Enjoy your trip to the Adirondacks!
ADK 46er #7634
ADK Winter 46 8/46

Last edited by uberTurtle; 07-29-2009 at 07:11 PM..
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Bugs are definitely worse this year than they have been in past years. In many places, black flies are still out in large numbers. I have never before seen black flies, mosquitos, deer flies, and no-see-ums out at the same time.

That being said, campgrounds usually aren't as bad as the woods. I've noticed that the combination of smoky fires, liberal applications of bug sprays, and use of citronella candles tends to keep bugs largely at bay from campground itself.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberTurtle View Post
There are other alternatives to DEET - no, not the Skin-So-Soft - such as Repel's Lemon-Eucalyptus Spray. We just tried it a few weeks ago and found it to be pretty effective. Then again, the third eye I've grown from all the DEET exposure DOES help with the night vision......
Walmart sells this generic, sweet smelling stuff (Oil of lemon eucalyptus based?) that does the trick but needs to be reapplied several times over the course of the day. Depending on how much I sweat, I could get a day out of a single 100% deet application. There's also repellant rubs like bye bye black fly that is sold in a few places in the park (Haus's in Long Lake usually has it). Same issue with these - frequent applications, and not the easiest to apply since it's a wax based goop.

You will not avoid the bugs. Maybe get a set of head nets and learn to live with them .

Last edited by Kevin; 07-30-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by binsel View Post
I called the visitor center and was told that there are still many mosquitos in the park.
Does anybody else find this response from the visitor center hilarious??

I'm happy to hear that they didn't try to mislead you at least.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
binsel

Thank you, all.

I think we should stay in a hotel/motel this time and plan a camping for September.

Cheers,

Burhan
Old 08-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
binsel

We are back from Adirondacks. We could only climb Mt Jo with my 5 year-old and 3 year-old (on my back) daughters on Monday. It was an excellent day with nice weather and NO bugs. We stayed in a motel in Lake Placid.

This area is the best alternative to the Rockies or Alps IMO.

We will definitely come back. I also liked the idea of climbing from Lower summit of Whiteface Mountain to Upper one.

Thanks,

Burhan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ofus.jpg (53.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 4ofus.jpg (27.9 KB, 29 views)