Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
SJUSTORM15

Snowy Mountain Trail (Indian Lake)

Anybody hike it recently? How difficult is it? How long did it take you?
Is it dog friendly? I heard it gets real nasty towards the peak. Thanks for your help!
SJUSTORM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUSTORM15 View Post
Anybody hike it recently? How difficult is it? How long did it take you?
Is it dog friendly? I heard it gets real nasty towards the peak. Thanks for your help!
Very dog friendly. The last bit of climbing is pretty steep, by then you are almost done though.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

If you climb mountains regularly it shouldn't be a big deal. It takes 4-6 hours to hike depending on your fitness and summit time. YMMV Awesome views and one of my favorite southern adk hikes. Be sure to climb the firetower.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
JClimbs
Callousedhand

And stay on the main trail. There are several side trails near the summit that lead to cliffs. The entire summit ridge is in fact, surrounded by cliffs. Not a good place to go abushwhacking.
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

He aint kidding!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
PatGreen

Climbed it last week. Took me about an hour and a half to the summit, ate lunch, and was back at the car in round trip of about 4 hours. Good trail for dogs, but the last quarter mile, as has been said, is a b word. If it has been rainy, there are a couple spots on the main trail that are pretty brutal.
PatGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
SJUSTORM15

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If you climb mountains regularly it shouldn't be a big deal. It takes 4-6 hours to hike depending on your fitness and summit time. YMMV Awesome views and one of my favorite southern adk hikes. Be sure to climb the firetower.
What if a couple of people in my group haven't gone hiking in years? They claim they're up for the challenge. What do u think? Can.they "wing" it or will it be too intense?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
JClimbs
Callousedhand

Great photo. Note, the long slab down & right of the main face is the location of the climber's route Iditarod, (see http://www.mtnsideview.com/articles/...?id=snowymtn01 for an account of our adventure on that route). The arching corner toward the left side of the main face is where most of the routes are located(see http://www.mtnsideview.com/articles/...d=snowymtn01p2 for our fun here). All but two routes end under that "eyebrow", as it is a large overhang. The photo on the cover of Adirondack Rock is of Rednecks on a Rope, the one route that breaks through that overhang, on its right end. Vertebrae, another full-length route, ascends rock about a hundred feet or so to the right, topping out 60' from the tower.
The climbing there is awesome, reminiscent of alpine climbing out west. But for hikers who wander off the trail, it presents a grave (literally) hazard.
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUSTORM15 View Post
What if a couple of people in my group haven't gone hiking in years? They claim they're up for the challenge. What do u think? Can.they "wing" it or will it be too intense?
If you make sure they drink lots of fluids, snacks, and keep a light pace there's no reason anyone in average shape couldn't make the summit. Whether they enjoy the effort getting there is another question. They may end up turning back when it gets steep, either because they're struggling (fitness) or just don't think it's worth the effort. Can't predict these things. Stubborn people make the best hikers since a bulk of the battle isn't with the mountain, it's in our minds.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
If you make sure they drink lots of fluids, snacks, and keep a light pace there's no reason anyone in average shape couldn't make the summit. Whether they enjoy the effort getting there is another question. They may end up turning back when it gets steep, either because they're struggling (fitness) or just don't think it's worth the effort. Can't predict these things. Stubborn people make the best hikers since a bulk of the battle isn't with the mountain, it's in our minds.
Well said, Kevin!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A potential nearby alternative for people who's ability you're unsure of is Pillsbury Mountain. It's short (1.5 miles to the summit) but still steep enough to feel challenging. The view from the fire tower in the summit is just as good as that from Snowy.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
A potential nearby alternative for people who's ability you're unsure of is Pillsbury Mountain. It's short (1.5 miles to the summit) but still steep enough to feel challenging. The view from the fire tower in the summit is just as good as that from Snowy.
* - note that the road getting in there, the last time I went a couple years ago, was sketchy. 4x4/AWD with good clearence was a must.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Bob K

The tough portion is steep but not exposed or dangerous as I recall. I know of several inexperienced people who have made it. I've only been up in winter when sliding back on snowshoes was an issue near the ledge that offers a great view (not far before the actual summit). You may want to bring a rope (25'?) to have the first person tie to a tree to ease the climb for those who follow. I don't think there was much to hold on to (at least in winter).
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
SJUSTORM15

Great info guys! Much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
* - note that the road getting in there, the last time I went a couple years ago, was sketchy. 4x4/AWD with good clearence was a must.
It's in much better shape these days. I've seen Honda Civics make it all the way to the trailhead since they redid the road last summer. There is only one spot where there's a large rock sticking out of the road, and you can easily drive around it.

When it rains alot, it can get muddy though.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It's in much better shape these days. I've seen Honda Civics make it all the way to the trailhead since they redid the road last summer. There is only one spot where there's a large rock sticking out of the road, and you can easily drive around it.

When it rains alot, it can get muddy though.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
wiiawiwb

The steepest part is at the very end (if memory serves me).

The last time I went a group of young guys were carrying down an enormous cooler that apparently had been filled with beer the night before. I have no idea how they ever got that to the top.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
Ydnabronn

Another one to consider is the Castle Rock Hike in Blue Mountain. It was 15 or so minutes outside of Indian Lake. Did this a few weeks ago with my wife and two kids (8 & 6 years old). Steep parts at the end, great rock formations and view from the top.

castle1.jpg

castle.jpg
Ydnabronn is offline   Reply With Quote