Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Cod Pond, WLWF, 19 Jun, 2018

On Tuesday the 19th, I had a pop-up opportunity to take my youngest daughter on a short hike to one of our favorite destinations. We were spending a few relaxing days at the cabin before the crush of summer activities. At o-dark thirty, a raucous raven raised us from our restful repose. Unable to get back to sleep, we putzed around the cabin until we came up with the idea to take a short walk to Cod Pond in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.

My daughter hadn't been here in two years and it was time to get her back out for a snack on the shoreline. Thanks to the aforementioned raven, we arrived ridiculously early at the Rt. 8 trailhead.

The red disked "Oregon Trail" heads up a short hill over a rocky tread.

Within a few minutes, we arrived at the register at junction of the Cod Pond trail.

After signing into the woods, we took a right on the yellow disked trail to Cod Pond. The trail was in pretty good shape with a few areas of blow-down that were easily bypassed.

With my intrepid daughter in the lead, we made note of all the toads, wood frogs and newts that crossed out path. Soon enough, we arrived at the seldom used designated campsite adjacent to the pond.

Finding no litter to pick up, we walked the 150' down the slightly overgrown trail to the lake shore.

The early (did I mention we were woken up at 5:45! ) morning sun was absolutely glorious and made the shallow water look inviting.

One of the nice things about the Cod Pond trail is that it dumps you out on a rocky section of shoreline. There are tons of big rocks to explore and find a nice breezy spot to enjoy a small snack.

After taking care of a few chips and pretzels, my daughter and I enjoyed the dragonflies flitting around and were thrilled by an appearance of a broad winged hawk flying out over the pond.

Soon enough, it was time to head back down the trail.

The one mile back to Rt. 8 went rather quickly, even with saying "hello" to all the fauna of the woods. We had a great little hike that morning and it just goes to show, when a screaming raven wakes you up, go for a hike. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #2
Grey-Jay

Were the numerous blowdown tree trunks cleaned up off trail?
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
geogymn

Nice Report!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Tick Magnet

Thanks folks!

Grey-Jay, blowdown wasn't too bad. The big stuff was cleared off with just a few minor detours.

The first was a "limbo tree" just shy of the register on the Oregon Trail.

The second blowdown was 100 yds past the intersection with the abandoned snowmobile trail.

The crown of a small pine had recently fallen across the trail.

The final blowdown issue was a double about 1/4 mile from the pond. It was an easy hop across, but could be a hassle on skis or snowshoes.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

I'm surprised that campsite isn't used more frequently.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote