Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #61
geogymn

Nice buck!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #62
Fly Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Nice buck Fly Rodder. Were you on a watch? Still hunting? I always enjoy the story. Congratulations.
This was on a 2x2 drive, but it's more of a complementary still hunt. There's a bench that we like to walk because it's long, flat, and wide, and bounded by steep rock faces on the high side. There's always good sign there and plenty of food, but it's just a hard area to get a good drive set up. My buddy and I like to work it like a still hunt but we're probably 100-150 yds apart, just moseying through. If I bump a deer it might run towards him, and vice versa.

We had two other hunters with us that morning and they went up a creek a mile away and the plan was that we would work towards them. We had probably been walking 1/3 of a mile, after we had climbed up to this bench, when I noticed on our GPS that my buddy was probably 200 yards behind me. I crossed a small creek and took a few minutes to fill my water bottle while he caught up. At around 10 AM, I was getting ready to walk the bottom of a secondary ridge that's right in the middle of this bench and he was still behind me so I paused at a large rock next to a hemlock. I had the sun at my back and the face of the ridge in front of me was lit up well. It's mostly mixed hardwoods there and visibility isn't terrible. I grunted a few times and sat back and waited. My friend would be pushing from my right along the top of the ridge and I didn't want him to push deer down behind me.

Probably 2-3 minutes after I had grunted, I noticed movement in the woods far to my left. A single deer quickly materialized probably 150 yards away and was moving towards us, along the face of the ridge, in a direction that would split us. I carry a Tikka T3X-Lite in .308 and quickly confirmed antlers in the Leupold VX-3i 2x7 scope. I cranked up the power to 4x as he was nearing broadside, 70-80 yards away from me, I gave a bleat to stop him. He didn't stop. I used the tree I was next to for a rest and I put the crosshairs in front of him and waited for him to move into the shot. I pulled the trigger and, well, I'm fairly certain I missed. He ran another 20-30 yards by the time I shot again. This time he turned 90-degrees down the hill towards me. He pulled up in some thicker beech whips and I had him quartering to. I put the crosshairs on his chest and fired a third time. He jumped and continued down the hill. I lost him in the trees, but could still see flashes of brown and crashing branches and eventually silence.

I could hear my friend on the radio, he had watched the whole thing play out from above. "He looked like a good one! He looked like a good one!" I walked to where I thought the buck was standing when I shot the third time, and could see some kicked up leaves, but I didn't see blood or hair. How could I have missed three times!? I was besides myself. My friend was already moving down towards where the buck disappeared down the hill. I followed the kicked up leaves a bit and saw my friend through the woods as he was radioing that he had real good blood. Apparently I was on the wrong tracks and as soon I was on the right ones I knew I had a good hit.

75 yards down the hill, the buck was piled up between an old stump and some blowdown. There are two holes in this one: one lung shot and one that was low and broke the back leg (the quartering to shot). I'm not sure if I clipped a tree on that first shot, or hit him and missed on the second, but like Meatloaf sang, two out of three ain't bad. I started using copper monolithic bullets a few years ago to limit meat loss, and these did the trick. There were four of us to drag him out the mile or so to a road and thankfully it was mostly downhill. We weighed him back at camp at 151 lbs. The buck is at the butcher now and has a date with a taxidermist this weekend.

I started hunting the ADKs about six years ago and this is my fourth buck and best one. I've shot at 5 and seen at least one every season. I know it can be easier to kill deer in the southern zone on farms and fields, but I love hunting the Adirondacks and having the freedom to walk where I wish and explore the backsides of hills and mountains at my leisure. Not to mention the outstanding camp life that I'm lucky to be a part of. I hope every one else gets into them as we progress through the rut.

post a pic

Last edited by Fly Rodder; 11-14-2019 at 12:09 PM..
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #63
Chris I

Great story, congratulations!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #64
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris I View Post
Great story, congratulations!
Ditto and thanks.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #65
Edb 46 er

A delightful story, congratulations to you on your Adirondack hunt.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #66
Buckladd

Nice Buck, FR. One of our guys got a decent 7pt this week. He will be 78 next month. He hiked in a mile, put the watchers out and got the buck. Then, he hiked another mile to help get the watchers oug on the next one while some young guys dragged his buck. He gets around in the mountains better than some who are much younger.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #67
Stillhunter

Thanks for sharing your story. Nicely done. I am able to picture your hunt and the terrain from your account. Very exciting. Special to have your buddy nearby to witness it unfold. Good shooting to!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #68
Stillhunter

Also worth mentioning you have an extremely good success rate for the Adirondacks. 4 for 6 or 67% would get you in Cooperstown. Not very many have done that, keep it going.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #69
Cpswing555

great buck and story. Congrats Fly Rodder. I love hunting up there as well
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #70
geogymn

Great story!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #71
Fly Rodder

Thanks for the congratulations. I figure with rough estimates that I've walked close to 300 miles to see a buck like that one.

Dan, I'll send you the full sized pic for the website.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #72
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
...but in Siberia you can get away with a lot because who is going there to say otherwise. Siberia is a bitter place. Ask Sero.

Schultzzi...
Don't ask me, man.

Ask my Suka.
My favorite Suka...
Iga Jadwiga Tunguska Baba Igła.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #73
serotonin
ember

You heard me right...

I named her Baba Igła.

Last edited by serotonin; 11-17-2019 at 08:46 AM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #74
Mallard1100

Nice job fly rodder. I carry the same exact rifle setup except in 7mm-08. I shot my first ADK buck this past week. I could not be happier. He is a big 5pt dressed at 177. Sadly, and this will haunt my dreams forever, but I grunted a buck in the day before and he basically walked on top of me, sneaking around a knob at just about 7 yards. Itís hard to believe, but he made me I had to fire 2 quick shots as he was going away and missed. I was sick to my stomach. The next day I went back to the same spot and grunted this buck in. It was an unreal week with temps in the negatives and 10 inches of snow.
The[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mallard1100; 11-17-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #75
serotonin
ember

I am a Moron
and this is my wife,

She's frosting a cake
Underneath the ice.

(Not aimed at Mallard...
Snuck your post in between Schulzzi, Igla, and Siberia)!

Maybe Baba Jaga is the Boss.

Last edited by serotonin; 11-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: (Not aimed at Mallard).
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #76
Mallard1100

Hereís the story of the first buck....

I woke up that morning the the thermometer was reading -2. My plans were to hike into a long meadow to watch for the day. I had a large pack on with all my cold weather gear. After starting the 1.5 mile walk in I realized i forgot my sandwiches and snacks to sit for an all day watch. Damnit, I went back to the cabin and decided I didnít have it in me to walk all the way in with these temps and decided to hunt a small gully out of the wind with a short walk.

When I got there I saw fresh tracks and decided this would be the spot. Took me about 20 mins to get setup and decide where I would sit on this knob with All the low cover where I can see. After getting dressed and sitting down it was 0900. I decided to play a little tune on the grunt call. Within 1 minute of blowing the call I could not believe what was before my eyes! A beautiful chocolate horned Adirondack buck came walking right up on me! 6 to 7 yards max. I could not believe what I was seeing in front of me. He walked the knob and wrapped it around to tightly to find the exact location of the grunt he heard. I was screaming in my head. Shoot shoot! There was not much I can do with him being at hip shooting distance. I began to slip off my mittens in the single digit temps and my mitten dropped. He locked up and we had a 10 second stair down. I had to make a decision and I decided to come up on him as fast as possible and hopefully he would either freeze or I will get him on the move. Looking back now I wish I would have let him walk right by me...

I race up with the gun and he bounds, I see body in the scope and let one rip. I rack the bolt and by the next shot he took a magnificent bound. Now he was 40 yards away and turning into the brush. I shot again. No reaction fro m the deer. I was sick. I followed his tracks in the snow with no blood. He was untouched. I was in shock of what just even happened. Sick to my stomach with disappointment.the challenge of even seeing a buck up there let alone having one at such a close distance was unreal. He was not a massive buck but a tight rack 8 or 10.

I hunted the rest of the day and decided to needed to get higher on the knob or this would happen again. Hiked back to the truck and sawed down some spruce to give me a better view for the rest of the week. Came back to the same spot the next morning and grunted this buck in. He would have done the same thing to me if I had not moved higher. 1 in a thousand chance I would see another buck there again and I did. Canít even describe it........ pic of the knob attached. If I was sitting high I would have seen him but no shot because of the low green cover. Didnít make the same mistake with this buck. Shot him from the top in the picture

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #77
Woodly

Congratulations, nice story, nicer buck. Something to remember, surprised a buck may run off, stop and look back, giving you time to make one killing shot. We've nailed a few that way.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #78
Cpswing555

awesome story mallard and a cool camp. Letting him walk on by is damn tough and a definite turkey or archery tactic. Wood's advice is solid too. they do like to look back if they are not sure or a quick grunt or snort wheeze can sometimes pause them for a second. once again, great pics and great job. did anyone else in your camp see or get anything. A fellow that hunts up where I do saw a moose Friday.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #79
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpswing555 View Post
awesome story mallard and a cool camp. Letting him walk on by is damn tough and a definite turkey or archery tactic. Wood's advice is solid too. they do like to look back if they are not sure or a quick grunt or snort wheeze can sometimes pause them for a second. once again, great pics and great job. did anyone else in your camp see or get anything. A fellow that hunts up where I do saw a moose Friday.
Thanks CP. I saw the most. 2 bucks and 2 doe. Did a large 6 mile loop on Tuesday and saw very few tracks. Seems they were hunkered down big time. Come Wednesday they were on the move big time based on the tracks. Only 1 other deer was seen. Not sure if a buck or doe. Some buck tracks seen as well. Not much buck sign at all which is odd. No scrapes and minimal rubs. Only rubs I found were on a skidder trail and were all very small thin saplings.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #80
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Hereís the story of the first buck....

I woke up that morning the the thermometer was reading -2. My plans were to hike into a long meadow to watch for the day. I had a large pack on with all my cold weather gear. After starting the 1.5 mile walk in I realized i forgot my sandwiches and snacks to sit for an all day watch. Damnit, I went back to the cabin and decided I didnít have it in me to walk all the way in with these temps and decided to hunt a small gully out of the wind with a short walk.

When I got there I saw fresh tracks and decided this would be the spot. Took me about 20 mins to get setup and decide where I would sit on this knob with All the low cover where I can see. After getting dressed and sitting down it was 0900. I decided to play a little tune on the grunt call. Within 1 minute of blowing the call I could not believe what was before my eyes! A beautiful chocolate horned Adirondack buck came walking right up on me! 6 to 7 yards max. I could not believe what I was seeing in front of me. He walked the knob and wrapped it around to tightly to find the exact location of the grunt he heard. I was screaming in my head. Shoot shoot! There was not much I can do with him being at hip shooting distance. I began to slip off my mittens in the single digit temps and my mitten dropped. He locked up and we had a 10 second stair down. I had to make a decision and I decided to come up on him as fast as possible and hopefully he would either freeze or I will get him on the move. Looking back now I wish I would have let him walk right by me...

I race up with the gun and he bounds, I see body in the scope and let one rip. I rack the bolt and by the next shot he took a magnificent bound. Now he was 40 yards away and turning into the brush. I shot again. No reaction fro m the deer. I was sick. I followed his tracks in the snow with no blood. He was untouched. I was in shock of what just even happened. Sick to my stomach with disappointment.the challenge of even seeing a buck up there let alone having one at such a close distance was unreal. He was not a massive buck but a tight rack 8 or 10.

I hunted the rest of the day and decided to needed to get higher on the knob or this would happen again. Hiked back to the truck and sawed down some spruce to give me a better view for the rest of the week. Came back to the same spot the next morning and grunted this buck in. He would have done the same thing to me if I had not moved higher. 1 in a thousand chance I would see another buck there again and I did. Canít even describe it........ pic of the knob attached. If I was sitting high I would have seen him but no shot because of the low green cover. Didnít make the same mistake with this buck. Shot him from the top in the picture

[IMG][/IMG]
Congratulations! Great buck, you should keep his Tarsal glands on his rear legs. Cut them off and save them for next year hunting. They are looking really dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk