Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Buckladd

NYS Pistol Permit Recertification

Just a reminder for anyone who has a NYS Pistol Permit. Under the NY SAFE Act NYS Pistol Permit holders who obtained their permits prior to Jan. 15, 2013 must recertify before Jan. 31, 2018.

Here's some helpful links from the my shooting club:
http://dunhamsbay.net/nys-pistol-rec...ion-resources/
Old 01-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
bethfit

Great reminder...unless your license is from NYC or Long Island(Nassau & Suffolk Counties)
In those areas just follow your normal renewal protocol.
Here is Nassau it costs us $200 every 5 years...
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Pauly D.

Thanks for the reminder Buck. I worry about some of the folks who do not have a computer with internet access. Hopefully the word will get to them too.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Wldrns

Yeah, I did mine a year ago when the requirement first came out so I wouldn't forget. I knew there was no hope of repealing the requirement any time soon. There was a special county office location set up at the time near where I worked to go do it there.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Tug Hill

Yes, there will be many people who will forget to do it or just don’t know. I reminded a 84 year old gent last week, he had forgotten all about it. These people will be in for a legal nightmare.
Then recertification again in five years.
This is costing the State Police mucho money and man hours to compile this info. Given the recent budget deficit and new Fed tax bill, how can lawmakers justify the expenditure of compiling info already on record at every county clerks office ?
The answer is in five years we will have to pay a fee to recertify .
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Jack

Just a FYI, a couple weeks ago I was trying to help my buddy do his recertification, he’s fighting cancer. The State Police website was either down or just wasn’t responding. After 3 days we finally got it done. I fear that those waiting to the last minute may run into this especially if the system gets overwhelmed. There is the hardcopy route, but be sure it’s postmarked prior to 01/31/18 midnight.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Buckladd

UPDATE: I applied online for my recertification on Jan. 7. I checked today and it is approved and said my next due recertification is in 2023. There's also a note that says the system will be down from 4pm today (Friday, 1/12) until Saturday morning for site maintenance. Must be they're getting ready for the flurry about to come in.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:31 AM   #8
Bounder45

Not directly on topic, but somewhat related to pistol re-certification: pistol permit application wait times have seen drastic reductions.

Not even a a year ago, the turn around time was anywhere from 3-6 months (sometimes more) depending on your county and/or city. I just talked to a friend who got everything returned and approved within a month.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Not directly on topic, but somewhat related to pistol re-certification: pistol permit application wait times have seen drastic reductions.

Not even a a year ago, the turn around time was anywhere from 3-6 months (sometimes more) depending on your county and/or city. I just talked to a friend who got everything returned and approved within a month.
He must have been one of the lucky ones. Here in Franklin county you are looking at 4 to 6 months. Also with the recertification issues, if you forget or don't recertify they WILL come and take not only your pistols but all your guns. Not to sure as to why they need this due to the fact that when you register a handgun in the county it gets reported to the State Police also.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #10
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post

I live in Washington County, and when I went for my permit in 2011 I was one of the first in the county to go through electronic fingerprinting, which really sped things up. I had my permit in less than six weeks. Then the SAFE came along, permit applications increased and things slowed down. Still, I was a reference for someone last year and it took less than three months for her to get her permit.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
skillzman1

I got mine last year. Took 6 months almost to the day in Saratoga county. Unrestricted courses were booking in less than 15 minutes at the time. I just received an email telling me there were still openings for the upcoming class. Things have settled down quite a bit.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
I got mine last year. Took 6 months almost to the day in Saratoga county. Unrestricted courses were booking in less than 15 minutes at the time. I just received an email telling me there were still openings for the upcoming class. Things have settled down quite a bit.
The class thing must be a county requirement Nothing here
Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
NHtroutster

Lucky y'all don't live in Oneida County... From the time I made the phone call to the sheriffs to make my fingerprinting appt., it took 8 months to get my approved permit. Then when I finally purchased my handgun and called to make the appt. at the pistol permit office to actually get the permit, another month wait! And that's still 2 weeks away. So 9 months at least around here. Brutal.
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
The class thing must be a county requirement Nothing here
In Saratoga County the first license is a 'restricted concealed carry'. After 1 yr from obtaining the first license you can attend the 'Unrestricted concealed carry' class and obtain that license.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #15
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
In Saratoga County the first license is a 'restricted concealed carry'. After 1 yr from obtaining the first license you can attend the 'Unrestricted concealed carry' class and obtain that license.
Restricted? Never heard of it. Here there are 3 types Concealed carry, Hunting, and to and from a sanctioned shoot which included going to a practice ranges. There is one other called a full carry for law enforcement.

Don't understand why there are so many different things attached to a permit. It is a state wide permit and requirements and restrictions should be the same. I know that there is a big ruckus going on in St. Lawrence Co due to the fact the judge is only allowing hunting permits.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
skillzman1

Restricted to target shooting/hunting, always concealed, unless for use as primary hunting weapon during the season. Unrestricted allows concealed carry during daily life except where regulations don't allow such as schools, government buildings, etc,..
Clear as mud! Welcome to NY..lol
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Have heard horror stories of nearly 2 yrs here in Erie Cty. Son's BIL just 8 mi south in Catt. Cty was less than 2 mos.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
NHtroutster

"Clear as mud", that's about right! My brother from a county adjoining Oneida just got an unrestricted permit in the span of about 1 month. And as he just pointed out to me with a "Captain Obvious" smirk, he has greater privileges in my county than I do. Just crazy.
NHtroutster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #19
Tug Hill

It’s obvious that in certain counties it’s a political thing, if county sheriff or judges are anti second amendment ,they make it as tough as possible. In my county, Lewis, we are lucky that we have a pro second amendment sheriff.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #20
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Restricted? Never heard of it. Here there are 3 types Concealed carry, Hunting, and to and from a sanctioned shoot which included going to a practice ranges. There is one other called a full carry for law enforcement.

Don't understand why there are so many different things attached to a permit. It is a state wide permit and requirements and restrictions should be the same. I know that there is a big ruckus going on in St. Lawrence Co due to the fact the judge is only allowing hunting permits.
I agree, but every county does it different. My permit is labeled as a "Sportsman" permit. I plan to apply for CC as soon as the dust settles on this first round of five-year SAFE Act biz.