Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
Telemarkmike

Raymond Brook Ski Trail - 1/1/13

I'm a day behind SteveSam, but I was at the Raymond Brook Ski Trail today for the 1st time. I love it. It's a great route and took just over an hour at a leisurely pace. I finished at Route 28.

After that, I went over to the Old Farm Road trailhead and skied the Botheration Loop clockwise with my wife. She had a little difficulty climbing the hill near William Blake Pond. Our 7.9 mile loop took us about 3 hours and 45 minutes. Nice loop on a mostly intermediate trail.

Here's my pictures and trip report from Raymond Brook:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/0...rail-1113.html
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Alpine1

Having never been on the trail how DOWN is down?
Would you suggest I take Dee in the opposite direction of your route?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Having never been on the trail how DOWN is down?
Would you suggest I take Dee in the opposite direction of your route?
I would ask the same question, with a comparison for reference: How does it compare with the Jackrabbit in the westbound downhill stretch from the Placid LT to the end of the descent?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Telemarkmike

For the Botheration Loop, the clockwise direction is easier skiing but steeper climbing. Counter clockwise is easier climbing but steeper downhills.

I think clockwise, like we went, would be easier for most people.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
I would ask the same question, with a comparison for reference: How does it compare with the Jackrabbit in the westbound downhill stretch from the Placid LT to the end of the descent?
I haven't skied that piece of the Jackrabbit. Maybe someone else has done both and can comment.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
hydrantman

On my to do list! Nice post.
hydrantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
For the Botheration Loop, the clockwise direction is easier skiing but steeper climbing. Counter clockwise is easier climbing but steeper downhills.

I think clockwise, like we went, would be easier for most people.
Sorry, not sure I was clear No problem for the Botheration loop.
I'm wondering how steep the down is for Raymond Brk?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
SteveSam

Quote:

I skied it on Monday and my post is here. I have never skied the Jack Rabbit Trail, so I really can't make a comparison. I can say that it is a pretty big downhill from the top of the col to Rte 28. The trail drops about 1300 ft over 3 miles. It drops about 350 ft in the first 1/2 mile according to my GPS.

The steepest parts are when you first begin the descent and then at the bottom after the junction with the Rabbit Pond Trail. The steep sections are very open with plenty of room to turn. The trail has enough undulations in the other sections to keep you focused. I thought the difficulty is comparable to the ski down from Avalanche Lake to Marcy Dam (Raymond Brook is much more open, but the Raymond Brook downhill is longer). I was on my Fischer Rebound skis with leather 3 pin boots. I was wishing for my plastic boots and bigger skis near the bottom of the run.

It's a great, challenging run. Quite unique in the Adirondacks where there are not many true backcountry ski trails. I'll definitely be back.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Telemarkmike

Quote:
The avg grade is 10%. I recorded a maximum grade of 35%, but I find that hard to believe. The steepest part, as SteveSam says, is the last part to Route 28, but that can be avoided if you take the connector to finish at the Ski Bowl.

I'm not sure Dee would like the trail unless there is good powder she can use to slow her descent. You can get going pretty fast unless you can control your speed. I wouldn't want to ski all the way up it. You could ski up from the Ski Bowl to almost the sled shed before it gets steep.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
The avg grade is 10%. I recorded a maximum grade of 35%, but I find that hard to believe. The steepest part, as SteveSam says, is the last part to Route 28, but that can be avoided if you take the connector to finish at the Ski Bowl.

I'm not sure Dee would like the trail unless there is good powder she can use to slow her descent. You can get going pretty fast unless you can control your speed. I wouldn't want to ski all the way up it. You could ski up from the Ski Bowl to almost the sled shed before it gets steep.
I appreciate the Beta....Think I'll also get her a pair of skins (reversible at that)

Tags
raymond brook ski trail