Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
bioguide

Native reproducing Brook Trout populations

I have a question: Are there any remaining ponds in the Adirondacks with "native" reproducing Brook Trout populations i.e. not a reclaimed or stocked population?

I'm not looking for the name or locations of these ponds, if they even exist, I'm just curious if any do remain.

Although if you know of some remaining "native" Brook Trout ponds feel free to PM their location and I'll do my best to do a video report.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Yes, some remain and tend to be closely guarded secrets. Also, some have repopulated themselves as the water became less acidic (now that upwind coal fired power plants aren't spewing as much pollution on our Adirondacks). Honnedaga is a good example. It repopulated from headwater streams that nobody thought had brookies in them. I don't mind naming that one - good luck getting an invite to fish it.

There are a number of reclaimed ponds that are now completely sustained by natural reproduction. In some natural reproduction is a little too successful and these ponds could actually use a little fishing pressure. PM me for two specific suggestions, both containing heritage strain brookies.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
bioguide

That is good to hear vtflyfish. PM sent...
Old 05-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
Brookie hunter

I beleive theirs currently somewhere around 40 self sustaining ponds. Correct me if I'm wrong. However most of these have been stocked in the past. Heard honnadaga is curently poducing some 4 pound bookies.

PM me also if you want, quite possibly the same two suggestions as VT but they could use some extra pressure.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
ADKxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookie hunter View Post
I beleive theirs currently somewhere around 40 self sustaining ponds. Correct me if I'm wrong. However most of these have been stocked in the past. Heard honnadaga is curently poducing some 4 pound bookies.

PM me also if you want, quite possibly the same two suggestions as VT but they could use some extra pressure.
This is correct from what I've been able to gather as well, about 30-40 nsa ponds other than the obvious source waters for the heritage strains, many are reclaimed waters where populations have become established. I know a few as well if you wish to PM me.

Last edited by ADKxplorer; 05-15-2016 at 09:28 PM..
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Stillhunter

It is too bad that so many native Adirondack trout ponds have been ruined over the years with non-native fish introductions and acid rain.
From what I have heard Maine is in far better shape than New York in terms of the number of "A List" brook trout waters they protect... naturally reproducing heritage brook trout ponds which have never been stocked. Maybe they have better awareness and respect for their treasure than New York? More acid precipitation fell in NY I guess. They certainly are more transparent with their information than NY's DEC.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/spe...BrookTrout.htm

Bioguide... just an observation... some folks have offered to PM with you when in the past other trout eating worm fishermen are openly chastised on this forum. Maybe it is because you make the best videos? or maybe are they are after your new fishing hole?

Please be careful bioguide they may end up flogging you with their verbal fly rods after they obtain that nugget of information. The pond names they are willing to swap may be overfished and past their prime. Just kidding everyone. I think the psychology and secrecy surrounding the culture of brook trout fishing would make a good thesis topic for someone. Maybe the new Walleye King should order it be done.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
Brookie hunter

I know the ponds I mentioned to him are past their prime but not overfished. Just mentioning them as a place that would be quite easy to catch a few natural trout.

Besides his secret hole is a long drive for me
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Please be careful bioguide they may end up flogging you with their verbal fly rods after they obtain that nugget of information.
I think I've been subliminally flogged already in another recent post but that's OK I've been similarly flogged and openly chastised by the DEC in the past and yet now DEC comes to me for their statewide benthic "fly" identification needs.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
ADKxplorer

[QUOTE=Stillhunter;245481]It is too bad that so many native Adirondack trout ponds have been ruined over the years with non-native fish introductions and acid rain.
From what I have heard Maine is in far better shape than New York in terms of the number of "A List" brook trout waters they protect... naturally reproducing heritage brook trout ponds which have never been stocked. Maybe they have better awareness and respect for their treasure than New York? More acid precipitation fell in NY I guess. They certainly are more transparent with their information than NY's DEC. [QUOTE]

Maine has several hundred naturally sustaining ponds and lakes I believe. I think its a combination of being more remote and lower population that not as many of their waters have introduced non-natives, though it is still an issue.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Honnedaga is a good example. It repopulated from headwater streams that nobody thought had brookies in them.
i LOVE how those little miracle trout astounded the experts.

Although... this is just one small thing to rejoice about in this dismal wilderness where thousands of lakes and ponds will never recover.
Welcome again to the pristine Adirondacks.

In Trout We Trust.
So let it be written.
So let it be done.

BTW, I can honestly say that I have flogged more flyfisherman than worm dunkers and hardware afficionados combined.
I find it to be exceedingly necessary as well as pleasurable.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
Tug Hill

The North Maine Woods may be remote, but once you pay to get inside the gates, access with a motor vehicle to many of these trout ponds and lakes is very easy. ADK brook trout ponds are very much more remote.
The state hatchery in Rome, NY raises heritage strain Brook trout, with their origin from a well known heritage strain producing Brook trout lake in the ADK's.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
GRGS

Living here in Maine my whole life,Tug is wright about easy access once you get behind the North Maine Woods checkpoints. The logging operations have built miles of roads over the last 40 years that will get you pretty close to any pond north of Moosehead lake. Baxter state park is pretty much the last wilderness area. Most ponds outside the park can be reached with a mile hike in or less.

I think you would be quite surprised about how many Remote ponds here in Maine that have been stocked with hatchery trout dating back to the early 1900's.
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Most of the wild trout ponds I know of and have fished are in Region 6. Not sure why that is but I think maybe a more hands off approach as they seem more interested in the Great Lakes fishery and have not bothered to stock these forgotten places in acidified watersheds. Some are remote and some are roadside believe it or not. There is one roadside pond that I got into a fight with my mother-in-law a couple years ago for telling some local relatives about it. Luckily they aren't the best fishermen and did not do well so they didn't go back. I don't fish it anymore because I don't want to tip people off. Someone put largemouths in a pond near it that also had NSA brook trout a few years ago and they have since vanished (hmmm, imagine that-- brook trout and bass do NOT coexist). Fished a somewhat remote NSA pond on Friday in the miserable pouring rain and had the best day this spring for catching quantities of fish, lost track of how many. Lost a big humpback male at the boat, story of my spring so far. Generally speaking, these NSA ponds tend to have smaller fish with the big ones topping out around 18 inches but of course there are always exceptions.

Another interesting situation maybe some of the group members have run into is the 'trickle down' pond. Unlike trickle down economics, this phenomena actually produces viable fishing. Basically, stocked ponds lose a significant amount of fish to emigration during the fall spawning run. They can't get back into the pond they came out of due to gradient, beaver dams, etc so they settle in other areas downstream eg streams or other ponds. These fish form their own populations or spawn and create their own NSA population. Again, I've got a couple spots in mind where this has happened and the fishing is pretty good.

Last edited by Creekwader; 05-16-2016 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: add trickledown
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Someone put largemouths in a pond near it that also had NSA brook trout a few years ago and they have since vanished (hmmm, imagine that-- brook trout and bass do NOT coexist).
LOL-Keep stirring the pot CW! We now know that brookies thrive with Bass and Pike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Lost a big humpback male at the boat, story of my spring so far.

Need a picture or it didn't happen. You guys will say anything in an attempt to rip the crown from the king!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post

Need a picture or it didn't happen. You guys will say anything in an attempt to rip the crown from the king!
Wait, which king is in danger of being deposed? Bullhead or Walleye?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
ADK FlyGuy

Please look up troutpower.com They will be hosting a great event, with a scientific study of wild brook trout in the Adirondacks. This event will be held on Father's day weekend.

Glen
ADK FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:05 AM   #17
Mark Usyk

There are. I know this because I attempted a hike into one such pond last summer and got lost. I never made it to the pond, therefore I deem it exists and is well hidden. Lmao
Mark Usyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #18
Stillhunter

Adk FlyGuy... Per your invitation I visited the troutpower.com site and read about the 2016 upcoming event. My impression is that the DEC could send in a few biologists and technicians to do this with far less impact on the native brook trout of the watershed.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #19
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Adk FlyGuy... Per your invitation I visited the troutpower.com site and read about the 2016 upcoming event. My impression is that the DEC could send in a few biologists and technicians to do this with far less impact on the native brook trout of the watershed.
Agreed. Not a fan of this thing either.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #20
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

DEC, like all government bodies, is primarily in the business of staying in business.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote