Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
OntarioSkiBum

Ice fishing in the backcountry

A friend and I were looking to go for a snowshoe into a backcountry pond/lake on our way into Lake placid in February to ski whiteface. We're driving in early from the Niagara area through Buffalo. The plan would be to hit a trailhead in time for a late lunch... Preferably at a lean to. I'm guessing we'd like to keep the distance down as time is a bit of a factor.

We'd consider doing some ice fishing too. The problem is most hike-to scenic ponds are trout ponds.

Can anyone suggest any ponds or lakes that meet this criteria...

- along the way to LP from Buffalo (there are many different routes we can take)
- 1-2 miles(ish)
- scenic
- lean to prefered
- legal to fish (perch / walleye / pike)

Thanks!
OntarioSkiBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
OntarioSkiBum

Ok... People aren't looking to give up their honey holes... I get it. To be honest we're more looking to take a nice walk in the woods to a scenic destination.

There's no lean to, but I've got my eye on Big Pond in the Hoffman Notch wilderness. I found a link of spots to go on the DEC ice fishing page and from what I can tell, it checks off most of the boxes above.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32342.html

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Maybe try Seventh Lake near Inlet. Thereís a double wide lean-to directly across the lake from the state launch & parking area on Route 28, and another lean-to a little further west down the lake. Some good fishing near Groff Island. Raquette Lake has a few lean-tos also out on Big Island...

As far as Big Pond, I havenít fished it (yet) but did camp there last winter...pretty pond! https://youtu.be/kQVKks2QWSw

Last edited by Justin; 12-24-2018 at 01:55 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Maybe try Seventh Lake near Inlet. There’s a double wide lean-to directly across the lake from the state launch & parking area on Route 28, and another lean-to a little further west down the lake. Some good fishing near Groff Island. Raquette Lake has a few lean-tos also out on Big Island...

As far as Big Pond, I haven’t fished it (yet) but did camp there last winter...pretty pond! https://youtu.be/kQVKks2QWSw
Cool video. Something like Big Pond is what we're after. Raquette Lake and Seventh Lake don't give is the same walk in the woods and wilderness feel. North Pond could be good too. Did you notice a campsite anywhere?

Wherever we end up, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
North Pond could be good too. Did you notice a campsite anywhere?
I didnít see any but I only poked around the northwestern corner for a bit.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Big Pond does have a campsite where the trail arrives at the north shore. It doesn't currently have a "Camp Here" disc, but as per the Hoffman Notch Wilderness UMP, it is a designated site.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
Lucky13

Quote:
Maybe try Seventh Lake near Inlet. Thereís a double wide lean-to directly across the lake from the state launch & parking area on Route 28, and another lean-to a little further west down the lake. Some good fishing near Groff Island. Raquette Lake has a few lean-tos also out on Big Island...

As far as Big Pond, I havenít fished it (yet) but did camp there last winter...pretty pond! https://youtu.be/kQVKks2QWSw
I've always wanted to stay in the lean to and ice fish Seventh, but the signage in the Launch Parking lot prohibits overnight parking. How do you get around that, or do the local constables relax on that rule in the winter?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I've always wanted to stay in the lean to and ice fish Seventh, but the signage in the Launch Parking lot prohibits overnight parking. How do you get around that, or do the local constables relax on that rule in the winter?
I don't know why people are reluctant to go to the source (NYSDEC) to get the authoritative answer to questions like this. Rangers are more than happy to educate rather than penalize. In this case call Gary Miller or Jen Temple. Both live nearby.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/677.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/679.html

Last edited by Wldrns; 12-27-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Wldrns

The 8th Lake campground (between 7th and 8th) is usually open and you can park along the access road there. We (LTR) just completed refurbishing the two leantos on 8th Lake as well.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The 8th Lake campground (between 7th and 8th) is usually open and you can park along the access road there. We (LTR) just completed refurbishing the two leantos on 8th Lake as well.
Is icefishing permitted on Eight Lake?
I didnít think it was. I tried looking on your DEC site but couldnít find it.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Is icefishing permitted on Eight Lake?
I didn’t think it was. I tried looking on your DEC site but couldn’t find it.
I Have no idea without looking it up the fishing regulation guide on the DEC website. I was responding to the question about parking and the leanto. Again, a call to Gary or Jen would answer all such questions.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
It’s not always plowed out, but I’ve never had any issues parking there on an overnight winter trip, even chatted with the Ranger one year when he stopped in to say hello, he didn’t say anything about it.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #13
OntarioSkiBum

On paper, parking at the campground and hiking the north shore of 7th lake might be somewhat wilderness like. Would 7th lake see a lot of snowmobile traffic on a Friday afternoon (that might deter from the experience)?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
On paper, parking at the campground and hiking the north shore of 7th lake might be somewhat wilderness like. Would 7th lake see a lot of snowmobile traffic on a Friday afternoon (that might deter from the experience)?
Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #15
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes.
Ok... Thanks for the heads up.

To answer the question about ice fishing on Eighth Lake, I don't think it is. It's not on this list.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32354.html
Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #16
Wldrns

Just to be clear, the official snowmobile trails are not on the lake, but there are several of those dang things that will be traveling on nearby trails in the immediate adjacent area. Official trail systems are not supposed to cross over ice on large bodies of water, though that doesn't stop some of them from doing so.