Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #21
montcalm
Mobster

Better keep those evil bikes off that 12 foot wide, graded, mad-made gravel road. God only knows what they could do to the environs!

Until the state gives it a designation, I don't see it as a big deal...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #22
**BOREAS**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wow!

Respectfully, it says in plain English in the link that you provided that it was last updated "4/15" for the Boreas Tract. There's nothing in the updated link that says "no bikes".
I'm sure you're a good guy, no ill wishes here.

But to be absolutely clear, the link I posted was updated today. Otherwise known as July 7, 2016 A.D. No bikes allowed. Clear, unambiguous, easy to understand. The link you posted never mentions the word bike at all. You're imagining loopholes where none exist.
**BOREAS** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #23
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by **BOREAS** View Post
I'm sure you're a good guy, no ill wishes here.

But to be absolutely clear, the link I posted was updated today. Otherwise known as July 7, 2016 A.D. No bikes allowed. Clear, unambiguous, easy to understand. The link you posted never mentions the word bike at all. You're imagining loopholes where none exist.
Got it, thanks again.
Clearly the DEC is not the best at updating or being crystal clear with notifications posted on their website, and as I mentioned at the end of page 1, it's probably best to call and ask if in doubt. If I get the chance to call tomorrow during their office hours I will do that, just to clear up our confusion.
Best regards.
- Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #24
TCD

I have no plans to ride in the area, but I sent Region 5 the following email just now, because I agree that the overall guidance from DEC is a bit vague:

"Hi,

I have seen discussions on line of bicycle use on Gulf Brook Road, riding to Boreas Ponds. I have no plans to ride in the area, but people are curious as to whether this notice from April is still current:

Boreas Ponds Tract
•While DEC develops an interim recreation plan, access to the tract will be limited to foot traffic only beyond the closed gate. Motor vehicles, bikes and horses are prohibited. (4/15)

or whether it is superseded by this notice (on a different page) from May, which suggests that as a "non-motorized means" bicycles would be allowed:

May 2016: Governor Cuomo announced that the 20,758-acre purchase of the Boreas Ponds Tract caps acquisition of 69,000 acres of lands from The Nature Conservancy. DEC is in the process of developing interim plans to provide trails, parking lots and waterway access sites for public use in the summer. With this announcement, the public may access and recreate on the lands and waters by non-motorized means only while a full management plan is developed.

Can you clarify this?

Thanks."

I will let you know what response I get.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
Bob K

FWIW – I met a DEC officer recently who indicated that there is doubt as to the enforceability of a no-bike policy currently as the land is not yet classified is such a way that prohibits it (such as Wilderness or Primitive). If you want to bike it, now is the time as it might be prohibited and enforceable someday.

FWIW (2) – I did recently bike 12 miles of dirt roads in the Essex Chain area. Frankly, it’s not that interesting unless you get to a specific scenic location such as one of the ponds or big river. That area too, was supposedly off limits to bikes upon NY State ownership (but really wasn’t officially), then later officially banned I believe, now allowed. Essex is a worthy (but small) paddling destination that gets much more day use than overnights – partially due to the ban on fires on the waterfront campsites. You can easily paddle the whole chain in a day trip. If I go there again it will be to paddle, or ski.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #26
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here is the only sign that I took a photo of:

I'm sure it's not legible, but the relevant part says:

ATTENTION
no public motor vehicle use beyond this point

Other verbage refers to yielding right of way to traffic, etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
TCD

I received a definitive reply from DEC Region 5 spokesperson David Winchell::

"DEC’s position regarding use of Gulf Brook Road is the statement on our website: “access to the tract will be limited to foot traffic only beyond the closed gate. Motor vehicles, bikes and horses are prohibited.”

The press release was an announcement of the purchase and did not provide all the details of the usage.

I hope this helps clear up the debate."

So it's closed to bikes, at least right now.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #28
tmount
Yellowman

And, as I said in my 2nd post, there is nothing at the first gate about no bikes. There is, a sign, however, stqting bikes are permitted in non-wilderness areas.
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #29
Trail Boss

Probably nothing posted explicitly forbidding mountain boards either or hovercraft, soap-box derby cars, wheeled sofas, and other rolling stock. None of 'em are "public motor vehicles" with the exception of the hovercraft but you can claim you're barely touching the ground.

/sarcasm
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #30
bmike-vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Probably nothing posted explicitly forbidding mountain boards either or hovercraft, soap-box derby cars, wheeled sofas, and other rolling stock. None of 'em are "public motor vehicles" with the exception of the hovercraft but you can claim you're barely touching the ground.

/sarcasm
If I pull a couch in with a canoe cart to camp and pull it out is it OK?

/s
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #31
TCD

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=23569

Looping this back around to the related thread. Biking has now been permitted on Gulf Brook Road into Boreas Ponds.

This is a nice reversal of the earlier position, and restores a little of my faith in common sense.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #32
dpc34

it is now a year later....are bikes allowed..might make my first trip in....thanks
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #33
Trail Boss

Yes, bikes are allowed up to the dam. See the "Biking" section here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #34
rdl

Hybrid or Mt Bike ?

I'll be passing by on Friday and will have a few hours to visit this area for the first time. I can bring either my hybrid or my mountain bike. Suggestions on what to bring ?
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #35
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Even though the dirt road beyond the second gate is markedly better than the 3 miles and change before the gate, I would take a mountain bike. Full knobby tires or at least fatter tires will make for a much more comfortable ride in.
Plenty of water, a camera and a polarizing filter are a must, as well...
Enjoy the trip.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #36
MTVhike

The only bike I have is a '70s vintage road bike. Should I forget about using that? I have hiked and skied the entire road (the inner parking area had not been created yet).
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #37
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
The only bike I have is a '70s vintage road bike. Should I forget about using that? I have hiked and skied the entire road (the inner parking area had not been created yet).
You would be a lot more comfy on something with wide tires. If your tires are 2" wide or so you'll be fine...otherwise I would say borrow a mountain bike from someone. Not to say it can't be ridden on skinny tires, but why struggle and plow furrows when you can float?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
dpc34

thanks for the info.....hope to make it this week....color is looking great in the Dacks...
Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #39
dpc34

Went in today, into the dam and back....a little over 7mi round trip...thought there might be more color...still a very nice trip....went with my new bike...great