Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Where in the World is Tick Magnet? 18 May, 2018

There's good things and bad things about your kids going away to college. For us, the "bad" thing is that it's a four hour drive to her campus in the St Lawrence Valley. The good thing is that I get to drive through the heart of the Adirondacks to pick her up after finals. Even better is that I usually work in a hike on my way north from the Workers Paradise.

Today, I thought I'd play a little game where I give my standard trip report with some vague descriptions and leave out the obligatory trail head picture and see if anyone can guess where I went today.

An insanely early departure got me to the trailhead at a reasonable time of 9:30, just in time to say hi to some locals who were riding their ATV down the easement road. As I waved, I noticed the woman carrying a large bucket of what looked like wild leeks (yum!).

About 100 yds from the marked parking area, I crossed Dead Creek (it's real name) on a good bridge. The views were delicious.

A little farther down the easement road, I came a cross a pretty decent size bear walking straight toward me. After a few seconds, he saw me and bolted across a gravel pit and into the woods.

While I didn't get his picture, it was still a cool encounter. Amazing animal!

After ten minutes of walking on the easement road, I came to a marked trailhead and DEC register.

After signing into the woods, I started down the trail. The trailhead sign indicated only .8 miles to my destination. I immediately noticed all the wildflowers in bloom. While the trillium are long gone in my usual stomping grounds, they were in full bloom "up" here.

The red disked trail immediately climbed a steep ridge, easing the grade by expertly switchbacking six times.

Near the top of the climb, I glanced back to get a filtered view of the surrounding countryside.

The trailed topped out at 300' above the Dead Creek valley floor and wound through the budding hardwoods.

After only about a mile of walking, I started getting close to the pond. I went off trail for a few minutes to get a look at the fresh beaver work on the outlet.

Getting back on track, the trail followed the north shore of the small pond.

At the designated campsite, I dropped my pack and took a short break to explore the area and clean up a few beer bottles.

A nice rock ledge sloped down to the shore of this gorgeous little pond. The bright blue sky, singing warblers and gentle breeze made for a great experience for such a short walk.

Looking at the time and realizing I'd have to hustle to meet my daughter at noon. I reluctantly bid farewell to my new friend and hoofed it back down the trail. A half an hour (and no bears) later, I was back at the truck and on my way to fill it with dirty laundry.

I'm really excited about finding this little corner of the Adirondacks. There are several more ponds for me to explore on future visits to campus; all with familiar names, but a slightly different look to them.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
Pauly D.

Great report Tick Magnet! How were the black flies up there? They were horrible in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness the past couple of days.

You're lucky to see that bear!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

I'm stumped. I think I have an idea of the general region, but I can't quite pin it down.

There are a number of Dead Creeks, which don't help matters.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Here's a hint:

Despite what the sign indicates, this isn't the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. Dsettahr's extensive research shows that there is no Long Pond in the PLWA.

Any guesses?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Complete opposite side of the park from Pharaoh

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Looks like White Hill Wild Forest.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Tick Magnet

Ding, Ding!

We have a winner.

I visited Lilypad Pond and thoroughly enjoyed this really cool area. I need to explore it some more.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 05-20-2018 at 07:52 AM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote