Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
Tug Hill

Killed one this morning, 9” beard, didn’t weigh him. I shot him with federal’s 3rd degree ammo, almost hurt me as much as the gobbler, that ammo is powerful.
It is loaded with #5 copper plated lead, #6 lead, and #7 tungsten, awesome stuff.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #22
Buckladd

Good job Tug. I shot a jake with 3rd Degree this morning. After three straight mornings of dawn to noon, and some wind storm issues, I pulled the trigger when three came in this morning. I've been using that 3rd Degree ammo for a few years now. Good stuff. Heavyshot ain't bad either. 'Saving my second tag for Selkirk; hopefully.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #23
Tug Hill

Buckladd, good luck in Selkirk. I called 3 longbeards in Sunday morning, my buddy had a shot but held out to see if we could get a double, didn’t work. If you ever get over this way and want to hunt some Tug Hill birds, look me up.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #24
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Buckladd, good luck in Selkirk. I called 3 longbeards in Sunday morning, my buddy had a shot but held out to see if we could get a double, didnít work. If you ever get over this way and want to hunt some Tug Hill birds, look me up.
Thanks Tug, I'm starting to get excited about the trip over there next weekend!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #25
Tug Hill

Tagged out this morning. Now I can go Brook Trout fishing.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
Buckladd

Awesome, Tug. I took a newbie up on the mountain Sunday morning and he almost got a jake. The bird was close, but just down over a hill and just didn't give him a good look. I didn't even see it from where I was calling. He's going with my cousin this weekend to the farm country, so he'll get to see the difference in the two extremes. It was a fun morning. I'm hoping to have some action in Selkirk this weekend.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #27
Fly Rodder

Went out for the first time yesterday morning in the southern zone. Had one bird come at me on a string at 6am. It was happening so fast, I hadn't even made my way to a good location yet (moral of the story: don't use hen calls as a locator). Unfortunately, I spent the next 30 minutes trying to pick him out between trees, saplings and blackberry bushes that had leafed out. He was so close I could hear his feathers as he fanned, but I could never see enough to make a shot. He eventually left the area, but I managed to call him (or another tom) back about two hours later. This time he came in from behind me and walked past on private property. I figured he'd see my decoy and walk over. Nope. He saw my decoy, alerted, and briskly walked off putting away.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
Tug Hill

Fly Rodder , to bad you could not close the deal, but you had some action. Yes, it’s best to use a crow, owl, woodpecker, or some other call to get them to shock gobble when locating. That will give you time to set up in a good position.

If you are going to hen call as a locator , make sure you are set up in a good position before calling. As you know sometimes they are close, and there is no time to move.

Don’t give up, if I were you I’d go back to that spot and try again. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #29
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Donít give up, if I were you Iíd go back to that spot and try again. Good luck.
That is very good advice...they tend to stay in an area. I'd give it a day before going back.
If I know there are birds in an area I do not shock call. I get set up at least 1/2 hour before shooting hours ((1/2 before sunrise) and make a few calls. Once they are off the roost they will locate you. If you are setting up that late the birds are already roaming around and you are more likely to bump them out than find them. Good luck. 1/2 the challenge is finding birds so you are on the home stretch.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #30
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
That is very good advice...they tend to stay in an area. I'd give it a day before going back.
If I know there are birds in an area I do not shock call. I get set up at least 1/2 hour before shooting hours ((1/2 before sunrise) and make a few calls. Once they are off the roost they will locate you. If you are setting up that late the birds are already roaming around and you are more likely to bump them out than find them. Good luck. 1/2 the challenge is finding birds so you are on the home stretch.
Good advice, even if you don't score there is nothing like being in the springtime woods in the early morning. Whilst sitting there waiting for a bird look at the green canopy. How many shades of green are there? Could you ever paint such a picture? One in such a quandary is blessed.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #31
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
there is nothing like being in the springtime woods in the early morning. Whilst sitting there waiting for a bird look at the green canopy. How many shades of green are there? Could you ever paint such a picture? One in such a quandary is blessed.
Up home here in St. Lawrence County... Got out this morning with a friend and his grandson. It was his property and I had not scouted it so it was a bit of a poke and pray hunt. We located a roosted bird on the way in. It was really close so we settled down about 80 yards away on the edge of an adjoining pasture. I put a couple hen decoys out in the because we needed to draw the bird across towards us...the surprise came when his horses decided that they wanted to play too. One was snorting at the decoys and several of them needed to nudge them with their noses. By the time they lost interest and moved on, so had the bird. The youngster lost interest after a while so we were not able to stick it out....
I managed to get another bird to work towards us but it didn't happen fast enough for the little guy. He headed back out of the woods. My friend and I stayed for a while longer..a young doe got interested in us and our decoys and came within 10 yards, once from the front and once from the back...
If he goes back tomorrow he should be able to connect....but really, getting out together this morning, sitting in the woods and watching the sun come up, chatting about things once we decided to hang it up, looking over his guns at the house....that was about as good as it gets without plucking feathers.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #32
Buckladd

I was telling Tug in a PM about our weekend in Pulaski. My buddy got a nice tom over there that we tag-teamed on. The next morning we had three gobblers hung up with hens. Two other friends scored a couple of good toms too.

Back home yesterday (northern Washington County) and on the big mountain tom I've been after since opening day. He's a tough one and will gobble but not come in. So, I've backed off calling heavily and am focusing more on position. I got him to come into a small clearing where two logging roads meet. I had the gun on my knee and even though I ever-so-slightly raised it while putting my cheek to the stock, he saw me. Busted!

Since I have a bird in the freezer I'll do just like I did last year with a double-bearded tom that I never got, I'm going to hunt this weary bird this weekend, which will be it for me. If I get him, great, if not, I'll enjoy the challenge. You can learn a lot from hunting tough birds.

Ref, Locater calls: I always owl hoot on the roost and and will use a crow call to get a bird to gobble if I haven't heard him in a while. Especially run-and-gunning, which I'm doing now if I have no roost action.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #33
Woodly

I'm thinking this cold wet spring isn't going to be of much help raising young ones for mama hen.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote