Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #21
wildbrookies

Even if this fish was a laker it would be considered a dandy... Amazing how big this brute is!! Looks like it came out of the Goose Bay ,Labrador area!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
gmorin71

If I took the fish that I caught on my trip this weekend, I would have to put them all together like a puzzle and they'd still barely equal the size of that slob.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
WalkingStick

Out of curiosity, what do you reckon cause the abrasion on the brookie's lower stomach in the last picture?
WalkingStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I noticed that too! It was smooth and perfect like the rest of its skin. I think was leftover fall spawning color that hadnít faded yet. Didnít look or feel like an old injury.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I should tell the story of catching it, you’ll all have a good laugh.

I had fished for three hours and had caught 1 15 inch fish. Considering the luck I had Friday I was reasonably satisfied and was ready to head home. But it still stuck with me that more fish hadn’t come from where the other came. So I launched a final cast into the sweet spot and started a retrieve. 5 strips and a sharp hit jolted me. In my haste to set the hook, I elbowed my oar and knocked it into the lake. Meanwhile the fish nonchalantly swam at the boat down on the bottom. I kept tension on it by stripping line-cardinal sin should have put it on reel- while flailing around with my left arm trying to row the boat to the oar that was rapidly floating away. The fish, unfazed by my floundering, continued around the front of the boat and just kept going out into the main lake. Not knowing what I had, I attempted to pressure the fish back to the boat. This resulted in a sizzling run that thankfully pulled out several feet of untangled line. At that point I felt it best to end my pursuit of the oar. Soon some panic set in when it came to the surface and i saw the hump back. Finally I got him near the boat where I proceeded to miss him three times with the net-once flipping him clean out of the water. Luckily I had a perfect hookset and eventually got him in. Various body orifices unclenched. Then I had to got find the oar!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #26
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
I should tell the story of catching it, youíll all have a good laugh.

I had fished for three hours and had caught 1 15 inch fish. Considering the luck I had Friday I was reasonably satisfied and was ready to head home. But it still stuck with me that more fish hadnít come from where the other came. So I launched a final cast into the sweet spot and started a retrieve. 5 strips and a sharp hit jolted me. In my haste to set the hook, I elbowed my oar and knocked it into the lake. Meanwhile the fish nonchalantly swam at the boat down on the bottom. I kept tension on it by stripping line-cardinal sin should have put it on reel- while flailing around with my left arm trying to row the boat to the oar that was rapidly floating away. The fish, unfazed by my floundering, continued around the front of the boat and just kept going out into the main lake. Not knowing what I had, I attempted to pressure the fish back to the boat. This resulted in a sizzling run that thankfully pulled out several feet of untangled line. At that point I felt it best to end my pursuit of the oar. Soon some panic set in when it came to the surface and i saw the hump back. Finally I got him near the boat where I proceeded to miss him three times with the net-once flipping him clean out of the water. Luckily I had a perfect hookset and eventually got him in. Various body orifices unclenched. Then I had to got find the oar!
Great story! You want to keep that one to read to the grandkids.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #27
Wilderness Brookies

Congrats on the trout of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing the story...very good stuff!
Wilderness Brookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #28
ADKxplorer

Unbelievable fish, and great story!
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #29
wildbrookies

Love stories like yours. A lot of people think the fish we catch just tire and slide into the net. Yeah ,right ,in the Perfect World. Great story for decades to come. Thanks for sharing CW!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #30
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Funny how the first good hit of the season knocks you all off kilter! Glad to see that the fish ended up in the net. And that you released him to his element unharmed.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #31
daveys69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Looking at the upcoming calendar and seeing out of town soccer tournaments and mother's day upcoming, I decided to disregard my own advice.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8wQ2zgWtmeE2spd6

Beautiful fish! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
serotonin
ember

Congrats CW.
You earned it!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #33
river

Wow!