Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth91 View Post
On these ultralights, I still don't quite understand carrying them in....everything I've seen in videos leads me to believe one end is dragging on the trail.....?
Neither of ours (Larry's Hornbeck or my Placid Boatworks) are dragging in any of my pond-hopping videos:
https://youtu.be/zk4W72OiPCI
https://youtu.be/NFdSq_Vfkz0
https://youtu.be/7UPQUd9PpR4
https://youtu.be/j_SbDQ8iD8o
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #22
Pauly D.

You carry them like this. It's like wearing a big hat.

http://www.hornbeckboats.com/custom_backpack.php

If you already have an external frame pack he could probably retrofit it for the canoe.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 AM   #23
beartooth91
beartooth91

So, how does one troll - with a fly rod - in one of these?

I troll a lot, but have been taught to keep the rod tip in the water. In a tube, you kick and hold the rod out and down into the water, while trolling, with a finger or two on the fly line to assist in strike detection.

I'm not thinking this is possible in a boat because you're paddling.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #24
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I fish out of a 12 1/2' skin on frame canoe I made that weighs 14 lbs with seat and backrest. Carries under a mile I put it on one shoulder or on my head with the foam seat as a cushion, longer I use a packframe carry. I use a single blade paddle for fishing, unusually it is a 48" ZRE carbon bent shaft power surge that weighs 7 1/2 ounces. The single blade is much more convenient when fishing, not in the way like a double blade, easy to use one handed to maneuver the canoe and just about as fast as a double when heading down the lake. Paul, you may see me in kayaks at the 90 Miler , but I still spend a lot of time in canoes, fishing camping, tripping etc.

John M
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #25
RipVanWinkle

I'm the new owner of a 16' Tandem hornbeck that I've taken out a couple times. It's definitely going to take some practice in managing the wind while fishing.
It is about 35 lbs but feels lighter than that on my shoulders- the biggest difficulty in a solo carry is the length and trying not to wack trees and branches.

i opted for a tandem so i can include my girlfriend and get less grief from her about all the time I spend fishing. It's also to be able to bring friends along on trips who dont have a canoe or tube themselves.

I have a big trip planned in a couple weeks and i plan on a two person carry with "T" handles at both ends. We'll see how it goes and whats the most comfortable way to carry it.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
beartooth91
beartooth91

Well....I did the deed....ordered a 12 foot Hornbeck Classic with the fishing package. Looking forward to it. Opens up new waters for me as well. Appreciate everyone's good advice.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
beartooth91
beartooth91

Anyone have recommendations for a good paddle for the Hornbeck? Some of the vids I've seen from you folks looks like you use double-ended kayak type paddles. Looking for something similar which is lightweight and hopefully, low-cost.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations for a good paddle for the Hornbeck? Some of the vids I've seen from you folks looks like you use double-ended kayak type paddles. Looking for something similar which is lightweight and hopefully, low-cost.
Lightweight and low-cost are two things that never ever seem to go together when it comes to outdoor equipement. However I see decent deals on craigslist sometimes. https://westernmass.craigslist.org/s...586506959.html
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #29
Pauly D.

Quote:
Talk to Hornbeck. He get's his paddles custom made by Werner. They are not cheap but they are longer than a standard kayak paddle and made specifically for the canoe. I assume because you're getting a 12 foot boat that you are a pretty big guy. The length makes a difference when paddling because if the paddle is too short it will drag along the gunwales during the stroke. For reference mine is 260 cm long from end to end.

As far as the weight goes it's like everything else related to backpacking. Every ounce counts and the cost of the lightweight stuff (carbon fiber) goes up exponentially. Ask yourself how far you plan to carry the boat (plus gear) and if you plan on paddling all day. My suggestion is to get the lightest paddle you can afford with fiberglass being the minimum.

I guess I'm not sure what boat configuration you have. You mention "fishing package". Did you get the oarlocks? If so what I mention above about length doesn't apply.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #30
beartooth91
beartooth91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Talk to Hornbeck. He get's his paddles custom made by Werner. They are not cheap but they are longer than a standard kayak paddle and made specifically for the canoe. I assume because you're getting a 12 foot boat that you are a pretty big guy. The length makes a difference when paddling because if the paddle is too short it will drag along the gunwales during the stroke. For reference mine is 260 cm long from end to end.

As far as the weight goes it's like everything else related to backpacking. Every ounce counts and the cost of the lightweight stuff (carbon fiber) goes up exponentially. Ask yourself how far you plan to carry the boat (plus gear) and if you plan on paddling all day. My suggestion is to get the lightest paddle you can afford with fiberglass being the minimum.

I guess I'm not sure what boat configuration you have. You mention "fishing package". Did you get the oarlocks? If so what I mention above about length doesn't apply.
Its a 12 foot Classic, high profile, with the Fishing Package. The oarlocks are not included. If I understand correctly, the Fishing Package is the matrix skin (Kevlar/carbon blend) with the full length wood strip....in case I opt for the oarlocks later (not sure what that accomplishes though). As for the length, it was based solely on my size...6'1", 250 lbs.

Been looking at paddles. Yes, the Werner's are pricey. Looking for a 250 cm length paddle, preferably more affordable. I'm already in at about $2400 including boat, roof bars, canoe holder, etc.....
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #31
bluequill

I have a 12' HV also. My paddle is 8' (240 cm) and I am going to carve another at almost 9'. I find myself using a high profile stroke too often causing water dripping into the boat, especially paddling backwards while trolling.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #32
beartooth91
beartooth91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
I have a 12' HV also. My paddle is 8' (240 cm) and I am going to carve another at almost 9'. I find myself using a high profile stroke too often causing water dripping into the boat, especially paddling backwards while trolling.
How does one troll in one of these....in regards to strike detection. I'm used to keeping the rod tip in the water which you can do when you're kicking with fins.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #33
bluequill

The rod angles out and up, the butt under my right ankle and the rod sets against my left foot and gunnel. Rod tip is NOT in the water. Very simple.....I don't care for rodholders or other devices. I try to drift with the wind, paddling when needed to slow down or change direction. I find it difficult to paddle/ troll forward. I can not see the rod tip and the paddle gets tangled with the line.

I'm not sure how reverse paddling would work with a cured blade kayak paddle. I use a Greenland style paddle which is not curved.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #34
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Mental note: Another check in the hornbeck column for when I get in argument with vtflyfish on the merits of float tubes...

Seriously though, post of the year? Classic stuff.
Hey, I'm only missing one leg...
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #35
Stillhunter

Beartooth91... I have an idea to keep you tubing in turtle water... get a scuba divers "bang stick" in 12 gauge for the aggressive snappers. Kind of like Adirondack shark protection. Self defense!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #36
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Beartooth91... I have an idea to keep you tubing in turtle water... get a scuba divers "bang stick" in 12 gauge for the aggressive snappers. Kind of like Adirondack shark protection. Self defense!
As is the case with nearly everything you can imagine in the great Empire State, there are regulations governing this:

"Snapping Turtle
•A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow. Snapping turtle carapace measurement
•If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.

Open Season: July 15 through September 30

Open Area: Statewide

Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.

Daily Bag: 5

Season Bag: 30

Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night."

Would not be legal during the early brook trout season. Or maybe this is just like the guy on this forum with the avatar of two tents set up in a lean to, just joshing (I assume).
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote