Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

Stillwater

Just back from a canoe camp there and want to again complain about the campsite reservation board. It stinks. Why don't they go to first come-first served like every place else?
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Stillhunter

Is the board to show which ones are occupied or is it for future reservations? I thought that it was first come first served camping?
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Wldrns

It is indeed first come first served. When you arrive you pick any open campsite and move a token of your choice to the occupied side of the board. it was set up like that years ago because due to the frequent windy and high wave conditions, paddlers would go out looking for a favored site, only to find them all or mostly all occupied when they got there, becoming frustrated and possibly in dangerous trouble, especially if they found themselves windbound on the far eastern end. The ranger got tired of having to go out to rescue unprepared boaters. It can be very difficult to paddle back upwind toward the launch site on some days. Of course it it is acceptable to camp anywhere away from a designated site as long as you are 150 feet away from the water's edge and follow LNT.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Rich Lockwood

Thanks for the reasoning. but i still don't like it.
-I had to paddle all the way back to the launch to switch campsites.
-camping in stages to paddle to the other end is not possible using campsites.
-You have no Idea what a site is like if you have never seen it.
-people sometimes camp on sites you have reserved forcing you to either paddle all the way back to the launch to switch sites if you don't want to camp in the boonies.
-if you get caught in the wind on your way to your reserved campsite, you can't camp on a closer one
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Wldrns

If you were "forced" to paddle back to the launch because someone else is at your designated site, i hope you reported to the ranger, whose office is right there at the sign-in board. Just be happy that you don't have to go online to reserve a site you have never seen, like you would have to do in the Middle and Lower Saranacs and a few other places in the Adirondacks. There are very few truly poor sites to camp on at Stillwater. Camping in the boonies is not all together a bad thing either.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #6
Bob K

I believe Little Tupper Lake started out with a similar reservation board. Same probelms you mentioned. A real disadvantage for new visitors who don't know the campsites prior to arriving. That system not as problematic for powerboat users.

With the internet and forums like this getting advanced knowledge on good sites far easier now

Any other boards like that in NY?

I was surprised to see that board when I launched at Stillwater years ago. I was glad I had a water taxi waiting to get me to (the portage to) more remote ponds. Paddling out (west) my last day was real excercise.

Note: Paddling miles back to launch to report someone at incorrect site often impractical. The ranger I met at Stillwater advised me of numerous non-reservable sites (smaller) that can be used if necessary. Not shown on the big board but I assume they are marked & legal.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
jblaser

Maybe we should take photos and write descriptions of the Stillwater sites we stay at and then put the information up here or on a website. We could probably document most sites within a couple of years.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
cuterocky
Kalie

Somebody already thought of that

https://sites.google.com/site/stillw...tion/campsites
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
sweeper

So has anyone marked the " numerous non-reservable sites (smaller) that can be used if necessary" on a major is that Top Secret.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
jblaser

Stillwater Campsite Information

It is great that information on the Stillwater campsites has been collected and posted. Very helpful!
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The site that Cuterocky linked has been of great help to me prior to my two trips to Stillwater. I have visited a number of other sites that were empty at the time, besides the ones I stayed on, and they all seemed pretty nice. Some were in settings that I liked more than others, but they all seemed comfortable and commodious. A lot of work has been put into making the sites nice, by someone, and I am grateful that they did. On my first Stillwater trip I stayed for 3 nights on an island, and once while I was gone exploring during the day a party in a motorboat came and set up their gear on the site, not having noticed my tent which is small and gray, or my food bag, which was dark blue and hanging on a dark colored rope about 15 feet off the ground, right above one of their tents. They met me on the water as I was returning and told me they had been just realized their mistake, and that they were moving to another site, but if it had been a first come first serve system I don't know what would have happened. Having to go all the way back down the reservoir every 3 days to change sites is a little bit inconvenient, but life is like that in my limited experience so far, so I don't worry about it too much. I'm thankful to have such a nice place to camp(without even having to pay, even), and so many other choices too, with the size of the Adirondack park.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote