Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
forest dweller

Anything can be done about an ugly gouge / scrape on a royalex canoe?

I was paddling in Hitchens Pond 2 weeks ago and my friend did not see a rock near the surface and we hit it pretty good, scraping down the length of the canoe. I figured it would be like all the rest of them over the years, mostly just unsightly and cosmetic and underneath the water, not seen while paddling...but when I got it back up on the roof of the car it was a pretty nasty one. I don't think it penetrated the interior but I don't like it. Can anything be done about it?

A tripping canoe is pretty much a floating barge anyway, probably will have no effect on performance...but I'd sure like to get rid of this ugly scrape!
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Throw it in the camp fire.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Throw it in the camp fire.
Gooey!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Rich Lockwood

Fix

Fill It with G-flex epoxy. I did that to on of mine, and it's still ok 10 years later.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Fill It with G-flex epoxy. I did that to on of mine, and it's still ok 10 years later.
Definitely G-Flex...
You can tint it if you want to hide it.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
forest dweller

Is G Flex epoxy primarily for repairs of real damage? Because I beliee this is just cosmetic...really ugly...although not seen when in water. Will it just be one ugly thing covering another ugly thing?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Paradox6

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.co...pair-kit-24665
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Is G Flex epoxy primarily for repairs of real damage? Because I beliee this is just cosmetic...really ugly...although not seen when in water. Will it just be one ugly thing covering another ugly thing?
Either...GFlex cures clear so it would appear as a shiny layer over the area it is applied on. If you tint it then it would blend.
My beater royalex has several gouges that do not cut through the top layer of the material and I have chosen to leave them as is. The same canoe has a small puncture that I applied GFlex to.. In this case, if you know what you are doing and take your time it is possible to turn "real ugly" into not too bad, but there's no way that you can make a damaged royalex hull look perfect once it's dinged up.
I'd be worried about fixing it if it compromises the hulls integrity..otherwise it's just a character mark.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote