Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
terijohn
primitivecampers

Crane Pond/Pharaoh Lake Wilderness

Has anyone been into Crane Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness area yet this year? I'm wondering how the road in is??
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
dundee

The road is fine, if you walk it like you should.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
jblaser

I was in as far as Oxshoe Pond a couple of weeks ago. The road was fine for walking. Despite the big "puddle," a few 4WD, high clearance vehicles made it to Crane Pond. There were some pretty good sized ruts, muddy spots and large rocks en route. The trail from Crane Pond to Oxshoe was in excellent shape, fully cleared with only a few muddy spots that you can easily walk through. Of course, I don't know if anything has changed since then.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

I was there a few weeks ago also & not much has changed...The road is as it usually is...unmaintained, wet, muddy, rocky, and the crossing near Alder Pond is a bit scary. It is probably best to park & walk without good clearance and/or 4x4, otherwise you may get stuck or break down.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
terijohn
primitivecampers

Thank you! We have a cart for our canoe that we would take down the road. Hopefully it gets better. We won't be going for a few weeks.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
jblaser

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, you would have no problem with a canoe cart except at Alder Pond because of the condition there that Justin describes. You'd just have to wade through it, as the side trail around it is not conducive to a canoe cart.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Nehasane

Why walk the canoe when you can paddle it?
If you go a short distance on the Goose Pond Trail you can put the canoe in on Alder Pond and paddle up to close to the footbridge over Crane Pond's outlet - Alder Pond is shallow 1'-2' deep but doable & it's fun to paddle across the road & back just because. It's then a short carry on the north shore over to Crane.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
terijohn
primitivecampers

We are planning on camping a few days and will probably have a canoe full. Hard to carry it all, as I don't know how to pack light We have never been there. Several people told us you could drive close to the pond. Just researching a bit before we go.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Saw a juvenile bald eagle there the past 2 years, watched it fly down & take a baby loon last year.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Pauly D.

In case anyone's wondering I just got back from one of the PLWA ponds accessible through Crane Pond Road. The road was washed out across some of the drainage ditches and there are some deep crevices to cross before getting to the Alder Marsh water hole. I have a fairly high clearance 4X4 pickup and it did bottom out while crossing one of the drainage ditches.

The water hole is about 18 inches deep but in relatively good shape. I did not cross it and there is ample area to park in the open area right before the marsh. There are some good sized rocks sticking out of the road right after the crossing so you'll need a high clearance vehicle unless you don't mind shedding a few car parts along the way (which I saw along the side of the road). I did see a Toyota Tacoma at Crane but this was the only vehicle. I passed the Ranger on the way out and he opted to park in the main lot and walk in. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
jblaser

How were the bugs?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
How were the bugs?
Black flies were gone. Mosquitoes and no-see-umís were relentless.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
jblaser

Thanks for the update. At least we'll have company...