Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #21
BlackRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
He needs to have a talk with Eric Schlimmer!
Yes! I was thinking the exact same thing.

Food for thought: Mr Morris's short story is representative of a shift from reporting the facts of a failure, which benefits users by highlighting planning and preparedness weak spots, to glorifying the art of surviving one's own poor decision making. I have observed this time and again in ski movies. As the industry pushes for bigger, more consequential terrain and footage, there is an increased glorification of the close calls, namely triggering massive avalanches (in ski movies). Neither story adequately portrays the true risk of making poor decisions and being unprepared, and, unfortunately, it draws incompetent "adventure-seekers" down the same road, trail, or skin track. The compelling short stories and movies ought to promote well-informed, critical decision making and preparedness. When it comes to near misses, or utter failure, all one needs is the facts and the short, technical commentary that instills an adequate respect for the consequence of wilderness and draws people to pursue adequate knowledge to enjoy the wilderness and get back to one's VW beetle safe and sound.

Last edited by BlackRock; 11-15-2018 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Just wanna rant a little
BlackRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
TCD

"Aaron Ralston worship" started this ball rolling. Copycats can be expected. Most of them will be smart enough to not have to cut off their own arm...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Speaking of rescuing unprepared hikers...
God bless our NYS Rangers!

Unprepared hiker rescued from Mt. Marcy
In short: "Put your shoes and socks back on, you moron, and start walking!"

And yes, downstream just about anywhere in Dix Wilderness gets you to 73 or another highway.

Just dumb, and I do wish there were some repercussions beyond internet shaming for this kind of idiocy.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #24
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

If you have to drink your own urine then urine trouble.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
In short: "Put your shoes and socks back on, you moron, and start walking!"...

Just dumb, and I do wish there were some repercussions beyond internet shaming for this kind of idiocy.
Agreed, and my biggest concern is that hypothermia sets in pretty quick, where people have been known to begin removing articles of clothing (including their footwear), and become disoriented. Glad this story turned out with a positive ending. Again, kudos to the Rangers...another couple of hours later it may have ended differently.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #26
Makwa

Oh god... I can't believe this guy is back telling this story again.

I won't rehash what others have posted re: this incident above but will remind everybody of the humorous follow-up to his adventure less than a week after his rescue:

My post on the High Peaks forum 8/28/18...
"He did the whole Dix range again just a few days ago... via the same herdpath!! And he got lost again!!! This time he went Grace, SDix, Macomb and upon retracing back toward SDix on his way to Hough he mistakenly dropped down the Lillian Brook herdpath from the Macomb/SDix col and ended up at the junction. Another hiker pointed him in the right direction and he had to reascend the elevation he lost by heading up the northern arm of the Lillian Brook herdpath back to the ridge. He then finished the last two and exited via Round Pond though the end point of his GPS track on AllTrails stops short of Rte 73 yet again. He posted a pic on FB of him with a map and compass but still somehow managed to confuse the Macomb/SDix col with the summit of SDix and went in the totally wrong direction to get to Hough. Find his FB page and read the long post about his day. Lots of pics posted too."
Makwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #27
TCD

Well, there are always plenty of nuts and self promoters out there.

What is disappointing is that EMS is headlining this. I remember when they were a reputable gear shop. Apparently now, they are either suckers, or they think that their customers are suckers. Sad.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #28
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

[QUOTE=TCD;271673

Apparently now, they are either suckers, or they think that their customers are suckers. [/QUOTE]

Or both, who knows?
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #29
Banjoe

I might be on my way but it's not a priority, so whenever people pressure me to work harder to be a 46er I point out that there are people like this guy who are ahead of me.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #30
altijay93
Borntoventure

To me this so-called adventurer is a complete sham. He's looking for a story and goes to great lengths to get. He claims to know enough about hiking. He explains the details of herd trails, cairns and making a fire from birch trees, but yet ignores all his common senses of being prepared and not following the group of women down. He gets "lost" only to be rescued nearby a watering hole. This is about as shameless as it gets, but its not surprising, especially from a writer.
altijay93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by altijay93 View Post
...especially from a writer.
Not a very good one...
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote