Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #41
sideshow

My family bought property up there in the late 1800s. It was supposed to be a retreat away from the spreading illnesses (diptheria, etc) of the era. It later became a place to take the kids for the summer. I learned how to swim and how to fish in front of the house. Our heights were measured every year on my Grandparents bedroom door (some of the measurements go back over 100 years). We rode in the trailer attached to the John Deere tractor as my Grandpa drove us to get sand for the beach. We climbed Cathead and commemorated the climbs by carving into "artist's fungus." We rode the rapids, in innertubes, from below the Hope dam down to the bridge. I caught my wife's 1st anniversary breakfast (17" smallie) in front of the house. I am sure I will have to repeat that again this year. Too many memories, too little bandwidth. The Adirondacks is our retreat from the real world. The Adirondacks are memories made and those yet to be made.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #42
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
The Adirondacks is our retreat from the real world. The Adirondacks are memories made and those yet to be made.
Nice intro, sideshow! But don't you mean a retreat TO the real world? ()

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #43
Neil
Kayak-46

Wilderness and topography. That combination is what I like best about the Adirondacks. Wilderness I can get plenty of here in Canada. For topography I have to go to the ADK's. The ADK wilderness should be protected tooth and nail from the pressures of the infernal combustion engine lobby.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #44
preshrink

I was born and raised in the Adirondacks, as were 3 or 4 generations of my family. I didn't realize the privilege and responsibility we have living here, until I had spent some time elsewhere. In addition to being so beautiful, what strikes me now as being remarkable is that the Adirondacks are ours to use and share. Although much of it is private (and some of that mine), a great deal of it is open to all of us. Several years ago while visiting in Massachusetts, near the coast, I couldn't find a camping area for many, many miles. All the costal real estate north of Boston was private, only for the rich and famous. I couldn't even find an expensive RV park until somewhere in New Hampshire or Maine. Many of us don't realize that thanks to some of those rich city folks many years ago insisting on making this park happen, we have what we have today. I have had my issues with the APA restrictions, but I also have to say hats off to the concept they are charged to preserve.

A previous writer commented on climbing versus other activities in the Park. I sometimes feel that some are just focused on getting to the tops of the mountains, and miss much of what the Adirondacks are. I often don't make it to the top of anywhere, but can spend much of a day exploring a mountain stream's pools, mossy gardens, or the textures or patterns in the rocks. I do love the view from a mountain top, the cool breeze after a sweaty, breathless climb. There is just so much more to it than making a check mark on a list.
preshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #45
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

To me its a place to clear the head, but my exercise to work and rejuvinate myself. It's my 3rd favorite place to go (Banff rules, the Whites are 2nd with the Dax a really close 3rd).
Old 02-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #46
Paradox6

I've been going to the Adirondacks since I was three weeks old. I'm now on the far side of 50. My grandfather had the presence of mind to buy a summer camp in the '20s. The Adirondacks is the bamboo fishing rod he gave me when I was three. It's breaking a worm with my fingers to put it on a hook for the first time. It is the glass of water from the hand pump, so sweet, clear and cold, it would frost over before he could hand it to me. It's the strawberry shortcake my grandmother would make for my birthday. Helping her scrape, caulk and paint the old wooden rowboat and making sure I still had a can and sponge to bail it out. It is stopping in Schroon Lake and dad getting the AJ Hornet balsa wood rubber band powered airplanes my brothers and I would fly each summer which would end up stuck in the pines in front of the camp after three flights. It's grandma lovingly bringing us the pieces of them she found on the ground the next spring. It's remembering each of your infant siblings waking up for every stop light on Route 9, back before the Northway was built. It's where grandpa let me row the leaky rowboat across the creek for the first time and being allowed to go down the creek to fish by myself, the first time I can remember being out of my parent's sight. Countless hours looking for nightcrawlers. It's where I caught my first trout. It's where, many years later, I learned that putting one back could be a source of joy. It's where I can see the changing course of the creek each year, how fast last year's trails were taken back by nature, the 200 year old headstone in the old cemetery just barely visible, sticking out of the trunk of a huge maple tree. It's where I learned how to swim. It is the explosion of walking by a grouse taking flight. It was learning how to start grandpa's 5 hp Johnson on the back of the leaky wooden rowboat. It's where I learned the mechanics of replacing shear pins and bending a new hook on the end of the recoil starter spring that grew shorter each year. It's where I learned the importance of always bringing the oars. It's where I learned to remember to tie the anchor line to the boat. It was where I can remember looking up at skies so clear and never ever having appreciated before how many stars there were. It is remembering that first camp-out, alone, transcending the fear of being alone and finding peace in the solitude, the absence of haste and vexatious spirits. Picking blueberries on the trail to the Pharoah fire tower. It is climbing Marcy to forget a lost love. A place of calm, a place to to remind me the world is truly a beautiful place. A place where I could see my place in the world, that the best I could hope to be is a good steward. A place to share and enjoy with a new love over a lifetime. A place to try to teach your children well, that it is a joy to be simple, that there are so many different things to be experienced. The sheer beauty of a waterfall, a brook trout, a red eft, sitting in a lean-to and watching it snow, picking up a piece of trash on a trail and hoping your kids learn that by even small acts we can make our world better. Hoping they would learn those things you have learned to be important, a place to teach and share values. A place where you would spend three days driving to find all of the leathers and parts you need to pull the well point and rebuild the hand pump, just to see if the water still frosts the glass and where it tasted as good as the glass grandpa handed you 50 years earlier. Where the smell of kerosene brings back memories of sitting in the hammock on the porch, playing cards with your brothers by lantern, heating the cabin when grandpa and dad went hunting over Thanksgiving, grandma cooking the turkey in the kerosene stove.

It is the place of all things good. Of peace, calm and beauty. The place where some time during the course of a few precious hours I struggle to save for myself each summer, I can sit on the same rock, watch the same river curl over and around the same boulders, admire the beauty of the same waterfall and where somewhere during the course of those few hours, all of the tribulations and things I thought were important during the rest of the year are washed away. A place where everything in my head gets put back in place. A place to remind us we are only here for a little while and we should put that time to good purpose. It was here before we were here, it will be here after we are gone. I know I am blessed to have the time I have there. It is a place that cannot be explained by accident or random event. It is the place where I know I am in the presence of God.

This coming June my first granddaughter will be born. She will be three weeks old on her first trip to the Adirondacks.

Last edited by Paradox6; 02-26-2006 at 01:09 AM..
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #47
Dick
somewhere out there...

Welcome to the forum, preshrink and paradox6! I'm pleased to see that there are more "native" members of the forum. Thanks to both for your perspectives on living in the Adirondacks. Good point (which I agree with) about there being so much more to the park. We've had that discussion here before, and of course there are others with different perspectives here, but who also love the park. Paradox6, as another on the "far side" of 50, I enjoyed reading your reminiscences of growing up in the Adirondacks. Congratulations on your upcoming status as grandfather! By the way (referring to your public profile), you'll find you're not the only lawyer on this forum!

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #48
scooch

home sweet home
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #49
mikeharo

The Adirondacks is a place that has all the answers

Last edited by mikeharo; 06-02-2006 at 02:37 PM..
mikeharo is offline   Reply With Quote