Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #21
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Re: Re: Adk Waterfalls

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
Hi Redhawk,
I've driven the road and photographed 4 of the falls that are within sight of the road. I know of a campsite by Twin Falls that looks like a good place for a base camp. The only trail that I saw was in sections where fisherman have created trails as they walk along the shore. I have toyed with running that section of river with my Hornbeck canoe, portage around the falls, and shoot some pictures at each one. The section I bushwhacked through at Twin Falls was pretty dense. The overgrowth could be a deterrent if hiked with a full pack. I'm going to do some more research on the canoeing possibilities. I'll let you know what I find out.

The Photography of Gary F. Dean
I'm not adverse to canoeing that section with you (in your canoe) or joining with my kayak. Bushwhacking doesn't phase me, in fact it's my most common mode. The denser or more remote it is, the less likely it is inhabited by "hikers" with Boom Boxes, diarrhea of the mouth, and a trail of empty water bottles.

If it's a doable for you, then set a date when it's warmer. I like to plan well ahead since I usually am on the go all summer and fall and on the weekends in the spring. (I do the BTI application for black flies in this area in the spring during the week). So I try to make all arrangements well ahead of time to avoid conflicts.

So far I have the weekend of Presidents Day (Feb 13, 14, and 15th) Newcomb Lake, The Great Santononi CXamp, Moose Mountain, Baldwin Mountain and Goodnow Mountain, May 1 and
2 West Branch (Sacandaga) Gorge and waterfalls, June 5 and 6, Buckhorn Lake in Piseco to photograph heron and osprey.

So let me know, I'm chomping at the bit.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #22
Glen L

Adk falls & Question ????????

Here's that link I mentioned
www.tbnaturephoto.com
Click on screensavers & St Law Co waterfall guide
A ?? for you S Adk gents
I'm planning canoe trip from W branch Sac, thru Pisceco L then Mossy Vly brook. Jessup R & onward to N. Have 2 options to connect Vly L to Mossy Vly brook. One uses snowmobile trail that passes to imm W of these 2 locations as shown on Plinth Quion map. Other sources (inc McMartin) say it's flooded & discontinuos. Plan to check it out on ground after snow's gone but wondering if you're familiar w/ this trail ? It's more direct than going E thru Fawn & Sacandaga lakes if it still goes ? Any experience there ?
Glen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #23
redhawk

Re: Adk falls & Question ????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen L
Here's that link I mentioned
www.tbnaturephoto.com
Click on screensavers & St Law Co waterfall guide
A ?? for you S Adk gents
I'm planning canoe trip from W branch Sac, thru Pisceco L then Mossy Vly brook. Jessup R & onward to N. Have 2 options to connect Vly L to Mossy Vly brook. One uses snowmobile trail that passes to imm W of these 2 locations as shown on Plinth Quion map. Other sources (inc McMartin) say it's flooded & discontinuos. Plan to check it out on ground after snow's gone but wondering if you're familiar w/ this trail ? It's more direct than going E thru Fawn & Sacandaga lakes if it still goes ? Any experience there ?
No haven't been u there. Will be glad to check it out when it gets warmer (A lot warmer)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #24
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildernessphoto

When I did the Oswegatchi this year, I noticed that there's a waterfall up the Robinson river, that flows into the Oswegatchi. Has anyone been up there?
Sliding Falls? It's not really a falls ; more of a flat rocked rapids. It's only accessable by walking as there's NO way to RIDE a canoe up the Robinson that far. It's really a mess in that area now due to the microburst. I recall seeing an OLD photo of it in a book about the 'great camps' and railroads of the ADKs but I don't recall the title.

Some interesting falls on the Middle Branch Oswegatchie that are located upstream of Bryants Bridge south of Harrisville and easily accessed. I think there's about 8 of them; all of various heights in a span of just 2 miles.

What about T-Lake falls located west of Piseco with a drop of over 500 feet? I was at the lake but didn't visit the falls. I think at least 2 people have slipped and fell to their death there. So, be careful if you go.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #25
Wildernessphoto

Robinson river

Hi Pondhopper!
Hey, Thanks for the info!
I saw the falls on the Robinson on the map. I'm glad I didn't go through all the heartache to get there, just to be disappointed

I haven't done much in the N/W Adirondacks. I'll check out the map of the Harrisville area.
Thanks!
-Gary-

The Photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #26
Dick
somewhere out there...

There is a handy little book someone recently gave me titled "Adirondack Waterfall Guide" by Russell Dunn. For this and other books on various NY outdoor topics, see: www.blackdomepress.com
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #27
sacco
no soup for you

T-lake falls is pretty nice, especially after some rain.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18...13&datum=nad83
sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #28
Adkleaddog

T-Lake Falls is a great place, and very dangerous as well. The last time I went in, a bunch of years ago, the trail was "less than maintained" (actually closed). It's still doable, but be careful at the falls. Someone fell to thir death the following week of my last visit, and the shrine to the others who lost their lives there was sombering. It's VERY tempting to try to see over the edge, and if you venture too far, physics and gravity comes into play, be cautious. It's about 350 feet to the bottom. The trail is about 7.5 miles or so one way. As Sacco mentioned, the rains help it's flow.

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #29
DLHiker

Why haven't they re-routed the trail to approach the bottom of T-Lake falls? Wouldn't that solve the danger?
Ron
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #30
Adkleaddog

There's no direct route to the falls, except for the present trail. The T-Lake trail from Piseco is the only access, unless you follow the South Branch of the West Cananda Creek which would add a lot of miles with a major streamcrossing and bushwhacks as well. I'ts fairly rugged country, with few trails. If you stay to the left of the falls, you can get down with some effort. Most are tempted to see "over" the edge, which could result in disaster.

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Old 05-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #31
redhawk

Trail to T-Lake Falls closed by DEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLHiker
Why haven't they re-routed the trail to approach the bottom of T-Lake falls? Wouldn't that solve the danger?
Ron
The former Trail to T-Lake falls has been closed by the DEC. Anyone hikers attempting to use it may be cited and fined for violating the order closing the trail.

There have been several people killed there as the area around the falls is deceptively dangerous.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #32
sacco
no soup for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
The former Trail to T-Lake falls has been closed by the DEC. Anyone hikers attempting to use it may be cited and fined for violating the order closing the trail.

last time i went in ( about 5 years ago) the section of trail from T-lake to the falls had been abandoned but still fairly easy to follow.

i didn't know they're now fining people (or threatening to fine, anyways) for using the path.

thanks for the update, hawk.

that's too bad.
like other people have said here, it can be dangerous if try to get too close, but if you use just a little caution it's a beautiful spot.

how many places in NY are there - where you can stand near a 300' waterfalls and not see another person, or even a sign of civilization ?
sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #33
Adkleaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk

There have been several people killed there as the area around the falls is deceptively dangerous.

Redhawk...FYI....The trial is closed, but one can not be fined if they choose to use what's left of the trail or if they bushwhack to the falls. The only way one could get fined is if they maintain or attempt clear the trail by cutting or moving anything on it.

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Old 05-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #34
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkleaddog
Redhawk...FYI....The trial is closed, but one can not be fined if they choose to use what's left of the trail or if they bushwhack to the falls. The only way one could get fined is if they maintain or attempt clear the trail by cutting or moving anything on it.
I live right by Mark Kralovic who is a Forest ranger in this district and Bob Praczkajlo another ranger stops by my house quite a bit to talk about anything I have seen in the Silver lake Wilderness.

Based on recent conversations with them my understnding is that since the trail was closed by the DEC becasue of danger (and my understanding is that it is posted), that anyone caught in there will be cited.

Thats the information I have. I will check again with someone else if I can, I will not press either Bob or Mark on it since I would not question the information I got from a Ranger (leave alome two rangers). Perhaps you can do a little more investigating with your sources also and we'll see what we can find out.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #35
Adkleaddog

In speaking with the senior forester here (DEC), he gave to me that info...I'm not doubting what was told to you by any means....I'm not sure how info is conveyed in the field as well...It definetly needs to be checked out! Lets see what we can do! I'll do some more investigating!!

(Age Old Yukon Saying)