Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #41
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
Why retirees...there probably won't be a season this year. I'll bring Chelios, Leetch, Amonte, Tkachuk and so on...
I Think those 4 players will be on their yachts in the Carrabein or to depressed 'cause they won't make their budget this year without thier 7 millions $ paycheck.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:52 AM   #42
Martin

We'll need to bring our skates, sticks and sun-tan lotion for Jeff's fire, but let's not forget a couple of snow shovels.
Unless Hawk and Sacco want to build a One-Wheeled Zamboni.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:12 AM   #43
Neil
Kayak-46

Can anybody put some dates forward?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #44
sacco
no soup for you

presidents day weekend is bad for me.

that's about all i can say about dates right now.

a one wheeled zamboni eh?

i was thinking more of a half track 3 wheeled design, complete with cruise control and power windows.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #45
Neil
Kayak-46

So far the following 10 people have posted on this thread:
Neil
Redhawk
Martin
Mountain Mama
Dick
Sacco
Mavs00
KWC
Fvrwld
Wilderness photo.
I'll be bringing at least 3 other skaters (and stick wielders). For an event such as this we can count on about half of those who are interested actually making it. So we should beef up the number of participants. How about I to post links on the other boards to this thread? I might PM the odd VFTTer whose location I know to be near Montreal.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM   #46
sacco
no soup for you

i agree. with an event like this the more the merrier. other forum peoples is cool by me. the trail talk forum is also an option.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #47
Kevin
**BANNED**

Wow, I can't believe I've been skipping over this thread... shame on me!

I'm definitely in, and if anyone has size 12-13 skates I may even try my hand at skating. I'm horrible at roller blades/skates, but I know how to fall

How's the first or second weekend in November sound? Will it be cold enough by then? Otherwise, the weekend after Thanksgiving would work too... hell, I'm free for the remainder of the year now that I'm not chasing 46.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #48
Neil
Kayak-46

Make that 11.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:25 PM   #49
sacco
no soup for you

wouldn't after turkey day be better for ice?

the second weekend in nov. (veteren's weekend) i always go with old highschool buddies to stephens pond near blue mt. most years the ice is just barely forming that weekend.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:31 PM   #50
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
How about 3 inches of ice for the non-believers?

Having fallen through the ice before and been witness to others who have fallen through as well, there is no way I'm stepping out on any pond unless there is at least 6" of ice on it.

Put me down as a maybe.

I should be free after deer season (early Dec.)

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Old 09-24-2004, 01:47 PM   #51
fvrwld

How about January 1st or 2nd. They'll definately be enough ice by then. A lot of Saturdays are tough for me. I have RPI hockey season tickets and never miss a home game. Sundays I'm free. My brother sounded interested and will probably really want to go if there is a game involved. If he doesn't go Kevin you can probably borrow his skates...I believe they are size 12. I also have an extra pair of mens size 8 hockey skates(size 10wms) for anyone to borrow.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:49 PM   #52
Dick
somewhere out there...

Neil,

You left out Joanne. We're a package deal! That makes 12, I think. Not to put a damper on things, but isn't that the limit for group camping? And don't we need a permit to do this?

I really doubt there would be any ice worth playing on in November. I'd wait until December or January.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:53 PM   #53
sacco
no soup for you

chrissy, my SO is also a good chance - as long as jeff comes to build a gigantic bonfire.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #54
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Neil,

You left out Joanne. We're a package deal! That makes 12, I think. Not to put a damper on things, but isn't that the limit for group camping? And don't we need a permit to do this?
I think you're right (now 12, but was 16), so we will probably need one. Once a firm date is set myself or someone else involved will obtain the permit needed .
Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #55
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

We go to Middle Lake, 6 can camp at one site, 6 at another, not very far apart.

Jeff can build the fire halfway in between.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 09-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #56
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Neil,

I really doubt there would be any ice worth playing on in November. I'd wait until December or January.
Would we be camping out or doing this as a day hike? Or do we need a permit and does the group size need to be kept down to the limit one way or the other? If we go in Jan. that'll mean mucho shovelling and maybe some pretty cold feet. I'll hold off on posting a link on the other boards especially as most of us will be bringing someone.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #57
Martin

A day hike might attract more people who don't like camping in winter. But this could be an optional thing too, it might attract people that have a longer car ride.
I agree that November is probably too soon, we want to make sure the ice will be hard. If it's not below zere (celsius), the ice will be mushy.

funny that we mention Jeff every second post, talking about a fire in winter, when he's probably making a fire on a beach in the islands right now.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #58
kwc
loser

I vote for January ....

January sounds like a better time ... the weekend of Jan 1-2 might be a bit tough on a lot of people so how about the following weekend, like Jan 9th?

I'm for a day hike, then maybe those who want to stay overnight can camp or stay in LP (be nice to go out for a nice dinner or something in LP after the hockey "game"). I believe my wife would be up for the day hike/bonfire/skating extravaganza coupled with an overnight in LP ... she's not a winter camper.

From what I hear about the master fire builder, will we need a special DEC permit for a clear cut so we have enough wood for the fire, or maybe even a special permit since the fire might be distracting to transcontinental airflights, etc.??

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #59
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc

From what I hear about the master fire builder, will we need a special DEC permit for a clear cut so we have enough wood for the fire, or maybe even a special permit since the fire might be distracting to transcontinental airflights, etc.??
I'll take care of the clear-cut permit, although I think we can keep it under 3 acres...I've got my 6lb. chopping axe. I stay warm swinging that! I'm not sure where to get the "transconteninental airflights permit, but I'll look into it!

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:53 PM   #60
Neil
Kayak-46

If January it is, bring your shovels and strong backs! We'll need both scrapers and lifters. And with this fire I keep reading about we'll really need more than 6 inches of ice! If nobody camps do we still need a permit?