Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
AlphaDog

Southern Adirondacks

How about some day hikes in the southern adirondacks.

I've spent most of my time in the high peaks area and Saranac chain of lakes but very little time in the southern adirondacks. I'm moving to albany and would like some hiking suggestions. Any thoughts?
AlphaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

The short hike up Hadley Mountain is well worth the trip.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog
How about some day hikes in the southern adirondacks.

I've spent most of my time in the high peaks area and Saranac chain of lakes but very little time in the southern adirondacks. I'm moving to albany and would like some hiking suggestions. Any thoughts?
Aee you kidding?You're talking about my back yard!!

How does five waterfalls, Two eddys, a 400 foot gorge, a 40 foot ravine, a river crossing, and a campsite overlooking a waterfall sound? And that just one hike! 9.3 mile.

There's the Benson to Whitehouse section of the NPT. Five nice bodies of water, two lean to-s and a pleasant walk. 16.3 mile.

Buckhorn Lake in Oiseco. A mile in, Heron Rookery and Ospreys.

Bennetm Middle and Murphy Lakes. Nice hike 3.5 miles Good fishing and swimming. Extend it another 3.5 miles and come out in Pumpkin Hollow. Might see the Pumpkin Hollow Moose Pair. Camp for the night and then hike North through the Pine Orchard, Virgin Pine Forest in the Dacks. Not enough? Continue on to Griffin and camp in Griffin Gorge and hike into the baxk side of Auger Falls. If you ain't had enough, hike the old trail up past Austin and Christine Falls all the way to Speculator, where if you like you can put your canoe in the water and paddle the Kunjamunk.

Then there is the Siamese Ponds, 7.3 mile trail. Good fishing, great hike. You can bushwhack out via the East Branch and view or skinny dip at the falls or in the Devils Barhtub. Play on the twwin cables over the river if you like. Two good campsites in there.

There is Snowy Mountain in Indian Lake if like Zac, you just need height. It has a fire tower and a great view. There is the Cedar lake Wilderness with a loop that you can spend several days on if you wish. Lots of Lakes and lean-tos. Several ways in and out.

Blue Mountain with it's fire tower (spend a couple of days and visit the museum). The spectacular Blue Mountain Lake, especially when the foliage is turning.

Then along route 10 in Arietta there are many hikes and paddles. Or the Powley Piseco road also has many day hikes and campsites.

All kinds of stuff. You can camp at Whitehouse in Wells if you're looking for a base and hike from there or drive to some of the other trailheads. Get ready to try something, drop me a PM. I live on the edge of the Silver Lake Wilderness in Wells.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Hawk,
I purposely left out the Silver Lake Wilderness, because I figured you would have that place covered.

Another great place, though it probably is a little more north than you were looking for, is the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness. There are a lot of possibilities for different hikes there as you explore countless numbers of ponds and small lakes. Some have trails while others are bushwhacks. The two prominent mountains in the area are Pharaoh and Treadway.

Another great area is the West Canada Lakes Wilderness. I hiked the Northville Placid Trail through there on Labor Day Weekend last year and only came in contact with about 5 people until I got to Wakely Dam.

You can pretty much just drive up route 30 and just pick a trailhead.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
AlphaDog

Thanks for the feedback!

Those are some great choices!! Thanks.

I've been to the Museum in Blue Mountain Lake (before it was renovated and added on)...Impressive to say the least.

I'll let you know when I decide to venture out!
AlphaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #6
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

southern adk's

One book will open your eyes and ears to the beautiful southern adirondacks. Discover the southern adirondacks and discover the southeastern adiorndacks by barbara mcmartin is what got me hooked on the southern adirondacks. My family has had a house in the town of wells for about 30 years. None of my family members ever hiked until I bought the book. since then I've hiked every where you could think of in the southern dacks' For views, location and the shortest mountain hike closest to albany, Hadley mountain cannot be beaten. Although, my favorite hikes arent even in the guide books but mountains around the town of wells that are all bushwacks. Among them are mount dunham, petit, finch, and the best kept secret, right near auger flats, is macomber. You made a good move to get away from the crowded high peaks (no offense high peakers) because there is no better place to hike in terms of seredity and remoteness than the southern dacks'
Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Rivet
Likes to hike

Hadley is a short hike. Crane is always a favorite.

Around Lake George, there is Buck mountain, Black mountain, Sleeping Beauty, Shelving Rock, Deer Leap, Five mile mountain, French mountain.

Near Putnam pond, there is Treadway and Pharoah mountains. Also, Severance Hill is right near Exit 26.

Good Luck and Kane mountains near Piseco.

Further north are Snowy, Wakely, Pillsbury, Sawyer, Chimney, Blue mountains.

Vanderwacker, Goodnow, blue ledges on Hudson in central mountains.

And many, many more...
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote