Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #41
ADKian

I'm not 100% sure but didn't he write in his "journal" and on a map that he was very ill and thought he suffered from "beaver fever" I don't have it in front of me but I thought I read that in At the mercy of the mountains and in a newspaper article about it. Could be wrong though?
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #42
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymarrk View Post
David Boomhower did not suffer from giardia.He was over his head and lacking proper diet.I hate to quote John Rambo here,but your mind is your best weapon and that is how you prepare.Allright maybe i like that.
I agree that he was over his head, and probably dead as soon as he decided he was going to attempt it, But how can you state positively that he did not have giardia? I believe it was put forth as a possibility but I don't know if it was proven or discounted.

I once had a case of giardia and it sapped me for about three days, real bad. There was no way I could do anything, but in David's case he was alive for just too lng for me to attribute it directly to giardia. It is possible that it sapped him for three or four days and he didn't have the food to regain the nourishment and hence the fuel that he needed to get himself out.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #43
murphymarrk

Yeah,I don't know for a fact.I do believe a single mishap ending ones life means that one is lacking some skills.I let someone borrow my Adirondack Misadventures and Mishaps book,which also disapperared,and remember it being a good book and describing Boomhower.I feel those of us who have been through the rough,or all of us concerning the Adirondacks,know that camping for 50 plus days, 0.2 Miles from a trail,is ahhhh...yeah you wonder.
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #44
murphymarrk

Also,is there a time on there when I quoted Rambo?I know these threads aren't supposed to go haywire so I apologize.All the best.
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote