Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #21
Boreal Chickadee

A wise old owl sat on an oak.
The more he saw, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard,
Why can't we be like that wise old bird?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #22
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

8-2-2006 Still Closed.

Road is still closed.

Even when the bridge gets in, I think they will be more damage that needs to be fixed. I know the creek near Whitehouse has washed out the road. Would not be surprised if the old abandoned beaver Dam about a mile from Whitehouse has breached and don't know what they will find down at Dugway.

As soon as I can get further in, I'll report. it's too damn far to hike in with this heat and humidity.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #23
redhawk

Update

Talked with Clay today. Road is still unpassable at Dugway and a couple of other places.

Slim possibility that everything will be passable this weekend. monday looks like a good bet.

Stay tuned, don't touch that dial!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #24
slechner

Thanks so much for the update. We were actually at our camp on WRR during the storm. Jimmy Creek bridge collapsed shortly after we left and we haven't been back since. It's my understanding that there are no year-round residents on WRR, by the way. I believe the Hwy Supervisor told us that as he gave us a lift into town after the storm. The road was a total mess with several culverts blown out. We couldn't leave until the hwy crew reached our place, a mile short of Dugway.
slechner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #25
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

The bridge over Jimmy Creek was supposed to go in today. Has anyone heard if it really did go in?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #26
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccockrell
The bridge over Jimmy Creek was supposed to go in today. Has anyone heard if it really did go in?
I'll take a ride up there tomorrow. Even if it is in, the road may be inpassable in places, especially by Dugway creek. They needed to get the bridge installed before they could get into WRR to repair the rest of the washout.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:05 AM   #27
uberTurtle
Ruffian

More Damage on West River Road

Hiked from Piseco to Whitehouse on Sunday (7/30) with my three daughters (6, 12, 14), expecting to be picked up in Whitehouse by my wife. We were on our way out to the parking area, when we met my wife walking in, wearing a pack. Seemed kind of unusual until I was informed that she'd walked four miles in to let us know the road was closed. Needless to say, I should have checked the thread, rather than rely on the title "Whitehouse Open." In the four miles back to the bridge that's out there are numerous trees down across the road and two culverts that will require repair before vehicles can cross them. One has the majority of rock/road surface washed away and the other has ALL the rock/road washed off - in fact we had to go upstream 15-20 feet to find a place to cross. I'd say at least a couple of days of work before the road is open, after the bridge is repaired. The hike from Piseco to Whitehouse was nice, though!
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #28
redhawk

If it were me, I'd plan on Monday as the earliest. Even with the Bridge in, there are extensive repairs that need to be made. As the Town Highway Dept Supervisor told me, even if some quick repairs are possible, it might be passable only for 4 wheel drives with a fairly high carriage until at least next week.

Since This weekend is Old Home Days in Wells, it's going to be a zoo anyway. I'm hoping to get out of here for the weekend.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #29
redhawk

Friday Aug 4th 2006 - Road Still Closed

Just came back. the bridge is installed, however the road remains closed to traffic because of washouts that have to be repaired.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #30
ccockrell
Danger Mouse

I went in there on Saturday the 5th. With our jeep, my husband and I got to within a mile of the Whitehouse trail head before the road became impassable. I hiked the rest of the way in and did a section hike, Whitehouse to Piseco. See trip reports, posted (kind of) in error on the Trail Conditions Report page. That last mile of road needs repair in several places before being driveable.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #31
slechner

thanks for the updates. sounds like it's passable to dugway...?
slechner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #32
RC
Woods Runner

road is open as of Monday according to the ranger we saw on the trail near whitehouse. We heard the equipment working as we hiked through the area.

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #33
forgedin78

still open?

I wonder if the road is still open, since it has been such a mild winter so far. Or did they block it off anyway? Hopefully Redhawk will chime in here. Thanks
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #34
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
I wonder if the road is still open, since it has been such a mild winter so far. Or did they block it off anyway? Hopefully Redhawk will chime in here. Thanks
Ding!!

I'll see if I can find out tomorrow. Usually it's closed Dec 1st, regardless of the weather, but who knows?

hawk
Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #35
forgedin78

thanks in advance for the effort
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #36
redhawk

West river Road is closed at the seven mile mark. It's a 2 mile walk into Whitehouse from there.

However, if you do park there, make note of the plow turnaround in case snow is due.

hawk